3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Results: Towing with BDDL/EZ stack

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Results: Towing with BDDL/EZ stack

Just wanted to give some feedback on my towing experience with the Bully Dog Downloader stacked with an Edge EZ…

For background reference, I have had the BDDL for several months and overall am pleased with it’s performance. I have it set on the “TOW” mode, and in every case it has given me all the power I have wanted. That being said, it also gave me some power that I couldn’t use, due to excessive EGT’s. There have been several pulls that have been slowed down because EGT’s simply got out of hand, but there was still power to spare. After researching, asking a ton of questions, and watching other trucks with various setups pull similar loads, I decided I wanted to try and stack an EZ on there to get some additional boost. I didn’t need the power, just the boost fooling capability. An EZ on level I was an obvious choice. Found one used for a good price, and on it went (with the boost elbow of course). The trailer setup was my 25’ toy hauler, loaded with 100 gallons of fresh water, full propane tanks, some random extra gear, food/clothing for an overnight camping trip, and my 1989 Jeep XJ crammed inside. Rolling trailer weight was ~11,500lbs. Outside temps ranged from 50-60 F.

From the very first gentle rolling hill leaving the area, I knew the deed had been done!! Holding 65mph, boost rolled up to ~28psi, and EGT’s stayed under 1100. What I noticed first was how much slower the EGT’s came up. The next several hills were relatively formidable (among them were Cabbage Hill and Ladd Canyon, along I-84 in Eastern Oregon for anyone familiar), and I again noticed that EGT’s came up much much slower. I hit ~38psi of boost a couple of times, which I know is waaaaaaaay over what my stock turbo is good for. At any rate, the EGT control was wonderful, and while it did indeed still top 1250 once or twice, I was able to maintain a much higher speed than without the EZ. It seemed much easier to modulate the throttle to control EGT’s, as the spikes weren’t as drastic or nearly as rapid. I can’t say I felt any additional power from the EZ on level I, as there was power to spare before, but I got exactly what I was after.

So, I would say that anyone who is having EGT issues while towing with just an EZ or just a BDDL may want to investigate a stack similar to this one? It works great for me!!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:39 PM

I think it's the boost elbow making all of the difference. Try unplugging the EZ (both MAP and fuel pressure) completely but leaving the boost elbow in.

Andy
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Agreed. That was my theory, and exactly what I think has happened. Won't running the elbow alone cause an over-boost code?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:04 PM

You won't get an overboost code as long as you have the BDDL installed. It doesn't do boost fooling, it changes the program in the computer so it no longer gives codes for the extra boost. It's the way it should have been from the factory

Andy
Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 PM

Darn, wish I would have known that... Even with the good deal I got on the used EZ, it would have been a bunch cheaper to just get a boost elbow from Edge
Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 PM

cant believe you have egt issues with the downloader, with mine on perf setting i can occasionally touch 1100 degrees post manifold with 12k lbs
but my turbo zings at 46-47psi all day long
Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 PM

Im still thinking the advanced timing from the EZ is what is helping your EGT's. Dont be mad yet...

Eric
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 AM

I've got a tri-dog on my 03, set on extreme. I had an EZ but I removed it (made the truck run funny sometimes), leaving the boost elbow in. I haven't towed with it yet but I can't get it to 1350 no matter what I try.

Andy