3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Replacing just the muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll check out the Donaldson & give it a try.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:22 PM
k w

i truthfully think that you will be very satisfied.

k w
Old 01-25-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
geeee, after we talked it up so much I truly hope so...or they’re gonna be pi$$ed at us .
Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
geeee, after we talked it up so much I truly hope so...or they’re gonna be pi$$ed at us .
You bet we will!! LOL!!

There's a Truck Pro down the street from my firestation & the locator says they carry them, I'll drop by & check them out.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by AK RAM
I took the Donaldson part number, M085171, to the local Freightliner distributor and got it for $50 even....how about that . Then just have a local muffler shop weld it up. Good luck!
My local Truck Pro shop can get that part number for $48.
was it a direct bolt on replacement or did you have to do anything?
it's a 4" in 4" out, 40" overall length, 8.5" dia.
Here's a link to the muffler specs

Does it have to be welded or can you use the stock clamps?

Do you think Dodge will have any problems with the warranty??

That's all I need to know & I can order it!!

thanks
Old 01-27-2004, 07:47 PM

The Donaldson is NOT a direct bolt in replacement. Couple of things: The Donaldson is a 4 inch muffler, but your stock piping is only 3 and a half inches in / 4 inches out. Also, the hangars are welded to the stock muffler...so you will loose your hangars when you take the old muffler off.

If you or a buddy has a welder, it is easy. You can pick up a couple 4 inch to 3 and a half inch reducers and a couple of hangars from your local muffler shop for a few dollars and do the install yourself. I already had a complete 4" system that I was not happy with, so my pipe size was good to go. I used an angle grinder to cut the hangars off of the stock muffler and welded them onto the Donaldson in my driveway...then connected the muffler to pipe re-using existing clamps. Easy for me….

If you don’t have access to a welder, I would suggest taking the muffler to a local shop and have them do it. Probably cost you another $50 or so. Might want to ask the truck place where you are thinking about getting it if they would weld it into place for you. If they are in the truck muffler business, they will have everything you need.

Sorry it isn’t as easy as bolting right in! Let us know how it turns out.

---------------
EDIT:

Here is the reducer I'm talking about. 3.5inch to 4inch...scroll about half way down: http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=EA
You can usually pick these up at just about any local muffler shop for 5 bucks or less.....for you stock fellas.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the info!!
One more question,
Which adaptor do I need?
3.5"ID~4"ID
3.5" OD~4"OD
3.5"ID~4"OD
3.5"OD~4"ID

I would guess it's the 3.5"ID~4"ID so It'll slip over both the muffler & the pipe but just want to check.
Or does it even matter, I don't like welding the joints on an exhaust system & I figured it'd be easier to clamp if it went over both pipes.

I have a MIG welder & a shop full of tools so that's not a problem, I just want to make sure I have everything on hand before I start taking it apart.
It's such a pain to have to make a run to the parts store in the middle of a project!!
I'll order the muffler tomorrow, They said it'll take 2 weeks to get here so I have plenty of time to get the adaptors.

Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:36 AM

The Donaldson is 4" ID on both ends. Might want to crawl under the truck just to verify that the stock pipe is 4" from the muffler back. The Donaldson will slip right over that. I think it is from the turbo back to the muffler that is 3.5", so you should only need one reducer and one extra clamp for the other end of the reducer (you created another seam).

I would get 3.5" inside to 4" outside. That will allow the adapter to slip over existing pipe and into the muffler on the inlet side. That way you will not be blowing exhaust out of your seams if you don't weld them. Make sense? Clamps will work fine. That's what I did.

The Donaldson has an arrow marking the inlet side, but you can stick it up both ways before you weld the hangars on and see which you like best. It will change the sound a little. I mounted as recommended...liked that the best. Also, it is a good bit longer than stock so you will have to cut off a few inches of 3.5" pipe. I would do several fit tests before I started welding the hangars back on. I almost screwed up.

Let us know how you like it!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info!!
I read Dodgezilla's Magnaflow post & it gave me some tips I'll use!!

I'll wait to get te adaptors till I get the muffler so I won't have the same problems you did.

I'll let you know how it works out!!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:50 AM

Just curious how your exhaust sounds with the Donaldson muffler comparied to the stock system?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:16 AM

Sent ya a PM!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:07 AM

Change of plans!!

well I changed my mind on the Donaldson, I'm going with a Pro Flo muffler ($70) instead.

It started when I found out I couldn't get the muffler & adaptor at the same place & it was looking like it could be a problem making sure I got the right parts the first time getting them at diffrent places.

I also wasn't sure I wanted the straight thru design, I just don't want it real loud.

The Pro flo muffler is a compromise between the stocker & the straight thru Donaldson.
When you look thru the Pro flo you see about 1/2 of the other side pipe.
It's not straight thru but it should flow a lot better than the stocker.
It should sound better but not be real loud.

I'm putting it on now so I'll let you know how it works this afternoon.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:48 PM

Well I'm very happy!!!!

It has a nice rumble at idle, a nice bark under a load but isn't much louder than stock when at highway speeds!!

just what the doctor ordered!!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:07 PM

That is great to hear. Wish I had found the right muff for my tastes the first time out. Don't forget to update your signature.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 PM

Sig updated!!

I got lucky with my muffler choice, I got better flow & a great sound!!
People must have thought I was crazy today, it was 20 degrees & I was driving around with my windows down so I could hear my exhaust!!

Quick Reply: Replacing just the muffler