3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Replacing just the muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing just the muffler

I can't justify replacing the entire exhayst system on a new truck (I have too much $$$ to spend on my Raptor ) but I do want to free up the exhaust flow.
The only thing I miss about my gas truck is the V8 rumble, I don't want it so loud it's anoying but a good authoritive roar would be a good thing!!

I've heard some straight pipe trucks & they would probably get on my nerves on long trips.

I was thinking about just replacing the muffler for something like the Banks muffler or something similar.

Has anyone tried this & what was the results??
What mufflers would you recomend?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 AM

I put a Magnaflow muffler on mine. One thing you will find is that there is no direct replacement hp muffler out there. You will have to get a 4" in and 4" out and do some modifications to make it fit. I did mine myself and everything totaled about $200.00 which included a Megs SS tip. I have seen where many people were able to get this price with a shop installing it for them. The Magnaflow sounds a bit louder at idle and a good bit louder when you mash the pedal but not as loud as straight pipe. I bought the muffler at bigexhaust.com
Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 AM
k w

ditto on the 4" in and out. i have the donaldson muffler and it sounds great. not too loud but has a deep grumble--just like one of the big boys--cost was $70.00 plus putting it on.

k w
Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 AM

I went with a Magnaflow and it's well worth it.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here on the Donaldson. I installed a full 4" Diamond Eye system and ended up cutting the muffler out. Sounded raspy like a 4-banger motorcycle on steroids, didn't like it. I love this Donaldson. Good tone, no drone. Once the engine heats up (don’t know what that has to do with it) you get a nice turbo whistle through the exhaust. Sounds like a big rig. Some info: http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=EIO I think that is the only 4in/4out version they make. If interested, you could use the dealer lookup feature on the Donaldson site: https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...r/locator.html These are really common truck mufflers so someone in your area is bound to have them. I took the Donaldson part number, M085171, to the local Freightliner distributor and got it for $50 even....how about that . Then just have a local muffler shop weld it up. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Chapter President

I believe ProFlo or FloPro (run a search) makes a direct fit muffler for our trucks. No need for adding additional piping. I researched it before I decided to go with the duals. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM
jt

You can get one form MBRP. YOu may want to check out their ATV exhaust as well. Maybe you can get a deal on both at the same time.

JT
Old 01-22-2004, 03:13 PM

Just curious for those of you that did just the donaldson muffler.... did you notice any gain other than better sound? I'm just curious how much more gain you would actually get out of a turbo back system versus just the muff replacement????
Old 01-22-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by jt
You can get one form MBRP. YOu may want to check out their ATV exhaust as well. Maybe you can get a deal on both at the same time.
JT
I'll check out the MBRP as well as the others mentioned, but as for my Raptor I have a Curtis Sparks X6 stainless exhaust & it can't be beat!!

Originally posted by Nitro71455
Just curious for those of you that did just the donaldson muffler.... did you notice any gain other than better sound? I'm just curious how much more gain you would actually get out of a turbo back system versus just the muff replacement????
Good question!
how about the power & sound when combined with an air box like the Scotty 3?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:28 PM

where a donaldson muffler be purchased and what is the cost and part #/description?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 PM

Before you spend the cash, keep in mind that muffler sound likes and dislikes is a matter of personal taste. All this talk about Donaldson mufflers doesn't mean it is for you. I would find one and listen to it. Wait a minute.....if you have passed a newer looking dump truck or logging truck on the road recently.....that was a Donaldson . Did you like the way that sounded?

deere nut, click here for product description and part number: http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=EIO This is a 4" in/4" out muffler only.

Click here to find a local dealer: https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...r/locator.html Cost is anywhere from 50 to 85 bucks, plus shipping. Buying it local will probably save you 20 or 30 bucks on the muffler plus whatever shipping would cost.

There use to be a web site called Stan's Headers that sold a full 4" turbo back system that included the Donaldson muffler for around 400 bucks. His site is still up but I didn't see where that system was still available.

-----------------------------------------

Nitro71455, I personally have not noticed any gain in performance, but that is probably because I have not replaced the stock air intake yet (cut me some slack, one upgrade at a time man). These two should be done in conjunction to obtain any noticeable gains. Doesn't do any good to make it inhale better if it can't exhale better. Doesn't do any good to make it exhale better if it can't inhale better. Get the picture? The one end you do not do will cancel out any real benefit you might gain from upgrading the other. Others that have done both might chime in with more info. The sound is nice though.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:17 AM

I tried the longest 4" in/out Magnaflow (34") a couple months ago. There was way too much drone or resination for me. I didn't notice any improvement in power or mpg. In fact, I may have lost a little right off the line. The weird thing was that I liked it when the eng/exhaust was cold (just right), but after it warmed up to full operating temp, it was nearly unbearable. I went back to the OEM muffler. The muffler shop agreed that it was obnoxious after heating up.

Most agree no noticable power improvement unloaded, but that changes, so I've read and heard, once you load the truck down with a heavy load.

The main benifit of changing the exhaust is to lower EGTs when one starts adding performance goodies.

One thing to keep in mind is the Cummins is an inline 6, so it's not going to sound like a V-8 (compare a V-8 gasser to a I-6 gasser w/ performance exhaust). The V-8 Diesels exhaust sounds much better (to me) than the Cummins (when using a perf exhaust system).

For a unloaded CDT w/o bombing, I've found the best improvement to be a foam air filter (Amsoil TS#189, or a TrueFlow 30200). Improvements: much easier starting, greatly improved throttle response, noticable power improvement, better mpg (~.5-1), & more turbo wistle!
Old 01-23-2004, 12:48 PM

the behavior of sound is profoundly affected by air temperature. I would expect that any exhaust system dependant on frequency cancellation effects would sound different when the gasses get hot. Of course, ALL systems depend some what on frequency cancellation effects to some degree, and ALL systems will sound different to some degree with temperature changes. I'm saying that the ones more likely to be affected are, in this order:

1. straight through mufflers and resonator combinations separated by some non-zero length of pipe.

2. straight through mufflers with an integrated resonator

3. straight through muffler systems with no resonator

4. louvered mufflers systems with separate resonator

5. louvered muffer systems with no resonator

#5 being closest to the stock configuration of course.

I would be interesting to see how close this theory actually is in practice. Naturally, some individual components will be affected more than others. I was just applying some rudimentary acoustic theory
Old 01-23-2004, 02:16 PM

Monkey Lips,

I just installed the TS189 on my truck last night, along with Fender Flares. I did notice a better throttle response this am, but haven't calculated mpg yet.. Waiting for REDLINE MT1 arrive so I can change trans and other stuff with AMSOIL at the same time sometime this week...may see mpg increase then...

Of course moving the Cummins Turbo Emblem may help the truck go faster

See pic at : https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=37494
Old 01-23-2004, 04:45 PM

My Donaldson muffler gives out a nice turbo whistle through the exhaust, especially at idle, but only when the engine is warm. Other than that, no noticeable difference between warm and cold.

Quick Reply: Replacing just the muffler