3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Replace rear blocks with lift springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace rear blocks with lift springs

I would like to remove factory block and add lift spring to replace it. Can this be done? I am hoping to stop some wheel hop and stay around stock hight. Any help would be appeciated. Thanks. PS I already have traction bars.

Last edited by Old Red; 08-07-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: change spelling
Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm confused here. Does your stock 3rd gen have blocks in the rear? Or do you have a lift? I know 2nd gens have blocks under stock springs, but not 3rd gens.

Anyhow I went from the 4-5" block that you usually get with a 6" kit to a pair of 6" Atlas leaf springs. Took out a significant amount of axle wrap. Still has some though. Maybe 20-25% of what it used to be.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM

There is 3 what look like cut off leaf springs between axle and main springs. That is what I would like to replace with leaf springs to help the wheel hop. If I replace those with leaf springs would that help wheel hop.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Okay I'm with you now. I suppose you could add more leaves in place of those (IIRC there are 2 and then the bottom overload). I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a much stiffer set of springs though. So the ride will probably suffer. And since I don't think this is a common thing to do I doubt you'll find anything on the shelf somewhere. You'd probably have to have a spring shop make them for you. And to answer the question IMO, yes adding leaves will make the pack more resistant to the torque of the drivetrain. Not as good as a traction or ladder bar, but it's something.

Worth making a few calls to local spring shops to see what they say.

I almost want to recommend you just get a set of ladder bars. Bushings at the axle and some form of Johnny-Joint at the front. Might last a bit longer than heims.

Or look at Caltrac's.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I will look into some add-a-leafs or cut down some stock spring.Thanks.