3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Remote Start Tach Wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Tach Wire

Hey Guys. I`m in the middle of installing a remote start, and looking for a easier spot to tap the tach wire. The paper I got says to tap it at the 60 pin plug at the ECM. Its kinda hard to get to. Anyone know where the other end of the tach wire ends up? Thanks. Kevin.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:16 PM

that is the only stable place,elsewhere is unpredictable voltage changes to much.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:23 PM

if you want to try the tach wire at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, pin 24, or at the camshaft position sensor just left of the ECM, in a 3 pin plug.no sure of color but you can test.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:19 PM

its just hard to get to. I want to solder the wire and seal it as well. And all the wires there are kinda black, looks like paint or something. I was hoping I could tap the same wire, just at a different point like the next plug.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Muted User

That is the only place to tap that I'm aware of on the dodge. There is a module availble that converts pulses from the alternator and converts them to a tach pulse for diesels. It's a CrimeStopper DTS2 Tach signal generator.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Ok, I will tap it there, but there are two plugs on the ECM. Which plug is it in? This way I don`t have to tear into both of them to find the wire. Thanks. Kevin
Old 10-03-2006, 08:34 AM

On my 04.5 it's on the further forward of the two plugs. Not sure which number or color. If you get the number they're very small on the plastic part of the plug.

Edit: Good luck with the cutting, soldering, and sealing. That's what I had all intentions of doing to, but after spending about an hour doing a MUCH more easily accessible wire I decided that the alligator clamps were good enough for now.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by lcaad1249
On my 04.5 it's on the further forward of the two plugs. Not sure which number or color. If you get the number they're very small on the plastic part of the plug.

Edit: Good luck with the cutting, soldering, and sealing. That's what I had all intentions of doing to, but after spending about an hour doing a MUCH more easily accessible wire I decided that the alligator clamps were good enough for now.
I used a scotch lock and LOTS of die electric grease and taped it until it was as big as a babys arm. If you take the front wheel off and squeeze through the fender well it's do-able. I did mine from above and almost passed out from hanging upside down so long.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:52 PM

You guys are making me feel better already. I pulled the wheel well liner, and it doesn't look easy. I'm thinking I'll hang upside down, tap, then solder and seal with liquid electrical tape. Or at least I will try. I've done such a neat job so far, I would hate to do it half way. I want this install to last 500k miles. I will post pics of my install soon, in case it helps someone else. Kevin
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Thanks, I'll check that plug first.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Ok, I tapped the wire at the ECM. I posted a pic. I will get a better pic later. I soldered the wire on. Cleaned it, sealed it with liquid electrical tape. Ran the wire thru loom. In the picture, the loom from the side of the plug is my wire. I found the easiest way to do it was from under the truck. Thanks for everyones input. Kevin.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM

I am having a problem with my recently installed remote starter(compustar 2way fm-as) ,it turns over but does not start,although the 2 way remote tells me that the truck has started.I think the installer has used the wrong tach sense wire.Mine is a 2005 cummins auto truck,I looked at the picture you posted but I cant tell exactly where the ECM is in your pic?Is it located on the drivers side of the engine or is it on the underside area of the underhood fuse box?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Muted User

ECM is on the drivers side of the engine towards the front just above the oil pan, it's about an 8x10" square box with 2 large plugs in it. The wire that it should be attached to is in the harness closest to the front of the engine(can usually be seen through the fender well). The starter is probably set for "tachless" operation which measures voltage to sense when the engine starts. That usually doesn't work with a diesel since there are usually 2 batteries and glowplugs\grid heater that screws with the voltage level. If the tach wire is connected, it may just need re-programmed which is usually pretty easy.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:08 PM

Looks like we may have it fixed,lengthened the starter duration,wait to start time and re-tached it in the cold and it seems to work!!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by ogopogo
Looks like we may have it fixed,lengthened the starter duration,wait to start time and re-tached it in the cold and it seems to work!!
good to hear.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Tach Wire