3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Remote Start ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remote Start into TRANNY ISSUES

Purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD about 4 months ago...We've had some cold weather, well for my area atleast, ranging from 10 Degrees to 30 degrees for the last 3 months. So I decided it would be nice to have a remote start installed...well...it hasn't turned out too good. I got my truck back right when the store which installed it was closing, so when i began noticing problems, there was no turning back @ that point @least for the night. I was on my way home and my check engine light came on. So I continue home and notice I don't have my last gear...and im just about redlining at 75-80 mph....and once I get home I open my door and my alarms going off. I was and still am furious. I contacted the shop who installed my remote start and after a few...ok several select words, they agreed to take care of the problems...or so I hope. Even though I have to wait another week...I'm hoping they will correct the issue. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem, or any simliar problems!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:07 PM

I had problems a while back. Right after the install I had numerous engine and dash lights activated. No trans problems though. They tried to reset most of the the lights. Apparently the problems are from tapping into the factory wires. Mine cleared up after a few minutes of driving and no problems in two years. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Yea...Hopefully my luck is as good as yours...but I normally don't have good luck...I'm just wondering whether or not I should tell them to just take the thing off or not...hopefully Tuesday will work out for the best...
Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Yea my guy was surprised to see all of the lights on after the install. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic was at the shop. They checked a few things out but everything appeared in order. Sounds like they might have left something unplugged under the dash or the hood. They tap a whole lot of wires for these kinds of install. If it were me I'd get a flashlight and start looking around. Most of the time it something minor. Check for bad connections and anything unplugged. Especially since they shouldn't have touched any mechanical.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 AM

Alright...I've only got 2 gears now...2nd and 3rd...With 5100 miles on the truck...This just keeps getting worse...I'm more than likely going to have to take it back to the dealership...Does anyone know if Dodge will void my warranty since I have had the remote start installed...thats the only aftermarket thing I really have right now...If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck @ all...
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 AM

I know how you feel. Sometimes I think the same thing. If the cause is the alarm they can void the warranty or they could just charge you since it wasn't covered under warranty. This could just be coincidence, but sounds unlikely. Did you check around under the dash, and the hood to look for the obvious?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 AM

I haven't had the chance to yet...I work 7a-7p and didn't read your last post until I got to work this morning so...But I will when I get off tonight...Thanks for the input...It's hard to believe a remote start would void the warranty on a tranny...I know that's how it works...but it just SUCKS!!! Especially knowing a $340.00 remote start in my eyes ruins a $44,000.00 vehicle...I know I won't look @ my truck the same or have any confidence in it if I do have to replace the tranny!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM

I don't think that they would void your entire warranty.. they will probably not cover the diagnostic time or what ever repair they need to do if they find that the remote start caused the problem..

Can you take out or unplug the remote start and see if this fixes your problems before you take it to the dealer???
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 AM

My trucks going back to the place that installed it on Tuesday...They are going to reset the computer supposively and go from there...I'm hoping everything will be cured...although if it's not I'm going to tell them to just remove it for good...I think that would be my best bet before going to the dealership...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Depending on the type of system. I have the viper system. There are three plugs total that would remove the brain and disable the system. I doubt that anything they did would effect computer. But could set off some codes which then could have effected the computer. Hopefully everything will be OK on tuesday. Good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Dropped my truck off to the business who installed the remote start today...Business owner advised Id recieve a phone call tomorrow from his Tech regarding the situation - hopin for the best...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:17 PM

Well....Talked to the Tech who is working on my truck...He advised me a couple wires were run incorrectly...good to know! He told me he called the company who produces the remote starter and they gave him the correct wiring diagram...He told me the truck is now shifting and should be fine...I'm waiting until tomorrow to pick it up because the check engine light is still on and he couldn't get it into dodge until tomorrow...Nothing like playing the waiting game...One more day...Lets hope atleast!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM

Good to hear. If they put everything right the check engine will go out itself in about 6 starts or so.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Yea...The Tech said I could pick it up tonight and it should eventually go out but also offered to take it himself to get it reset...I figured I'd be better off just making sure it's off before I pick it back up...Less hassel...incase it doesn't! So I've got the 5mpg Ford out again tonight lol...I'll update you tomorrow when I get get the Dodge back...
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!! I got my Dodge back today!!! Good as new!!! They advised me the wires were installed incorrectly...They had to get a new wiring diagram and then take the truck to Dodge to get the computer reset...All my problems have been solved!!! THANK GOD!!! Thanks to everyone for the information, advice, and concern!!!

Quick Reply: Remote Start ISSUES