3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Reliable horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reliable horsepower??

Im clearly a 12 valve guy but quite frequently drive my dads 3500 05. He had a bullydog powerpup with outlook monitor and stacked with an edge ez for some more power. The edge was taken off a couple months ago since it was making the fuel rail pressure get too high and it would crack injectors. Then the bullydog had to come off because it kept causing P0069 code to come up as well as some other but I forget what they are right now. Now with JUST the outlook on and the bullydog programed backed to stock it will cause the truck to defuel if your hard on the throttle just before shifting into overdrive. If you do not let off the fuel then it will not allow the truck to shift into overdrive. Whats the deal?! I thought the outlook was strickly suppose to only be a monitor and just allow you to adjust on the fly?

What ever happened to the relability with the cummins? It seems once they came out with the electronics there really no way to get good reliable horsepower that you can just fire up and drive everyday. Am I wrong?

I 100% understand paying to play but it would be nice if it was actually able to play without some code jumping out on you and defueling/ putting the truck into derate mode. Someone help me out here and try and help me understand what exactly is reliable with these trucks.

Sorry for the long Guys but its kinda a **** off when you buy these parts and can't even use them.
Thanks for reading
Old 04-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have my bullydog on 90hp and have reprogrammed the truck 10 or 15 times and i have no codes or problems with it.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 PM

I've read that downloaders in general aren't that great. My roommate has an edge juce/attitude and it never caused him any problems except slipping his tranny. But, in tow mode he got pretty good mpg's and about 50hp(I think, whatever level 2 is). And, if he wanted, he could turn it all the way up to the 120hp setting and smoke his tires(and slip the tranny) to no end. He took it off so he could build his tranny up a little. He has an 05' also and is looking to sell. PM me and I'll see what he wants for it, if you're interested. If you are interested, you could even send the unit in and get the HOT upgrade for 150hp.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any other oppinions?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:04 AM

Quadzilla makes great stuff as well. Im not havin any problems aside from needing to upgrade my turbo and trans to hold the power. Im goin to upgrade to the race version and I should be close to 480HP at the rear wheels. Obviosly ill need my trans and turbo upgraded before that too. Right now Im drivin around with 402HP and it only gets hot on long hills with my foot in it hard or on a WOT run over 100KMS
Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 AM

The outlook monitor will defuel your rig if your hitting the EGT paramitors that have been set. You can custom set what degree this happens at. I'd look into that before anything else.

One a side note, My BDTD has been great, no issues with it. I'd make sure you have the latest version of code (2.2.7) and try it again. If your not sure what code it has, it will display that as soon as you plug it in.