3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

RECON hid light kit with RECON projector head lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RECON hid light kit with RECON projector head lights

can anyone help me with this problem i have RECON hid light kit and the RECON projector lights on my 06 dodge ram mega cab i took it to a shop today and tryed to get them to put them in and they told me the HID BULB wouldnt fit can anyone tell me how to get the bulbs to go in the projector housing
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Did you order the bulbs for the Projectors or your stock lights ?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 AM

Pipeman90,
How do you like the RECON's? How well do they fit?
Can you please post a picture?
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeman90
can anyone help me with this problem i have RECON hid light kit and the RECON projector lights on my 06 dodge ram mega cab i took it to a shop today and tryed to get them to put them in and they told me the HID BULB wouldnt fit can anyone tell me how to get the bulbs to go in the projector housing
it is going to be difficult to do both the recon headlights and hid's. reason is the headlights change your current set up from 1 bulb to 2 bulbs. you will be ok if you are on low beam but when switching to high beam, the ballast will not be warmed up and you will have a few moments of darn near darkness. did you phone the order in when doing it or just do it off a website? call and talk to Heath @ RECON, he will get you set up
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM

I just went thru this whole problem with Recon headlights and an H1 projector bulb.

I was really disheartened to find out the same thing-that the H1 bulb is too long to fit into the housing.

My fix was to sell the Recon brand projector housing-which are junk-plain an simple- and replace them with the "Anzo" brand projector housings.

I did managed to get the h1 bulb to physically fit into the housing-after grinding the opening to fit the bulb-as its diameter was too large to fit the housing as well-and then I ended up making a 4mm thick spacer that would go between the housing and the bulbs mounting surface.

Needless to say, when you start playing around with the location of the arc center in the projector, your beam profile & pattern will be effected. I choose to just take a financial hit and reorder new lights.

The anzo lights take a H3 HID bulb and fit without any type of modifications.

I have been meaning to write a rant on here about how cruddy the Recon housings were, but I havent gotten around to it till now....They fit well in the trucks openings-but the quality of the housing itsself was poor. Materials were not all that great, and worst of all the light output of the projector was brutal. I couldn't see much at all while driving....the stock ones were MUCH better.

I called Recon about my issue, and they told me that the housings were not to be used with HID kits, and that there was pretty much nothing I could do ( with them ) to get it figured.

If anyone else is reading this-and thinks that the Recon brand housings are the way to go-think again. I wish someone had been forward with me when I ws asking these questions-it would have saved me a couple hundred bucks.