3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Recon Cablights Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we made a kit for my truck. Bought the lights, made the wiring, tapped in to the right wire, used silicon to seal it down, used different bulbs so my lights look different than stock lights in the dark, made a template off of a truck with factory CL.

Took us 3 hours start to finish taking our time. siliconed around the lense and screw holes are siliconed.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
like it was stated earlier. i have had a couple of new posts over the last month letting fellow members know that the recons cab lights are redesigned. htye are now plug and play! i got a prototype set sent to me at the end of august. they fit perfect- no leaks,etc. the leds lights look good too!
Only 'plug & play' if you have them from the factory. I didn't, so they far from 'plug & play'. What wire(s) are you supposed to tap into?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM

Recon cab lights install

LFD2037,
Here is the info I PM'd to someone with the same questions. I have the new led version which replaced the old ones that were cracked. You can find pics of the new ones in my gallery. Here is what I told him. "My truck already had the cab lights, however if you handy mechanically and electrically it shouldn't be that hard. Looking at the factory service manual wiring you tap off the right side park lamp wire for the hot side to the five lamp sockets. According to the 2006 service manual it is WT/GY. Make sure it is not the turn signal wire which should be WT/TN. The other side of the lamp sockets run back to ground. You'll need five light sockets that will fit 194 or 168 bulbs or splice right into the wires on the lights. You'll have to run the wires up the a-pillar and under the head liner. Make sure you get the polarity on the LED lights correct or the won't light. You should be able to use the light to make a template of where you will need to drill for the screws and the hole to run the wire. You'll need to measure out where you want the lights to go and use masking tape to hold your templates. Make sure your measurements are good before you drill. You'll also need to get 10 screws long enough to go through the light housing yet thin enough to fit the holes. Use silicone on the holes. Be careful screwing them down because you can crack the light housing easily, make sure they are snug. The new ones have a large gasket on the bottom of the light. The factory service manual is on the HEMI Truck Club website on the left menu bar. You can download them and they have the wiring diagrams." Everything to install should be found at any auto store and cheaper than buying the Mopar kit. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Chris Eggleston
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM

Just went to the recon web page order me a set of smoke cab lights and fender lights. I hope like them better than the old ones that my buddy had?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Cayuse66,
Thanks a ton!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Does anyone know the model # for the new LED ones. Mine are the smoked bulb ones and since everything else is LED, I want to swap these out as well. I keep checking places like Recon's website and Stylin Concepts but they just refer to bulbs and I don't want to order a kit I already have!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM

D.Wiggs,
I called Recon directly to replace my old ones. The part number on the new ones is the same as the old ones, I just checked the new box. I told them the problem I had with my old ones leaking and they gave me a good deal on the new ones shipped. That was at the beginning of the Nov. Had no problems with thier customer service, just sounded like they were busy. I like the new design. Actually look smoked and no leaks after raining all day today.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cayuse66
D.Wiggs,
I called Recon directly to replace my old ones. The part number on the new ones is the same as the old ones, I just checked the new box. I told them the problem I had with my old ones leaking and they gave me a good deal on the new ones shipped. That was at the beginning of the Nov. Had no problems with thier customer service, just sounded like they were busy. I like the new design. Actually look smoked and no leaks after raining all day today.
OK. I will order them directly from RECON then so that I a not getting left-over stock from an online place. Thanks for the help! And I agree, I have had no leak issues in 3 months of HEAVY HEAVY rain!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lfd2037-plug and play refers to the truck owners who have factory installed cab lights already, in reference to the older design recon cab lights.. the older style recon lights did replace the factory cab lights per se- you could not use the factory light socket. you had to cut them off and slice in the wiring from the recon lights- you had to use their style light socket with their lights
Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 PM

Robb...Good post. yes the old recon cab lights were definitely not plug and play. however the new l.e.d cab lights are plug and play if you have cabbies from the factory. I guess if you dont than ahhhhh yea you would have to splice....
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 AM

Any update on the lights from Recon? I too am looking to add some new lights where there are none now. I tow a very large boat at night and want to warn people about the potential wide loads...anyway, is there an updated kit number of phone number you all reccommend?

Tom
Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 PM

The best info. I have recieved is what Cayuse66 posted. I REALLY wish someone made just an install kit for cab lights. HTH
Old 12-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Your welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:20 PM

LFD I just bought an 06 and want to put cb's too. that was great advice from Cayuse66. When you are done can you let us know how the install went and maybe some pics.