3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Recon Cablights Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recon Cablights Install

I just got my smoked CL today. I didn't have CL's from the factory. There is no wiring, instructions, screws or a template even though their website says 'everything included' . Could someone point me in the direction towards a write-up on the installation of these. Recon said they don't come w/ install inst. or wiring or screws or template when I called them . Or if someone could walk me thru the install 'cause I'm paranoid about just driiling & wiring on my $45k truck. Also, do ya'll know where I can get a template for light location? TIA !!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 AM

the recon kit is just a replacement lense and light kit for trucks with factory lights, You can order the kit from dodge or look into J.C. Whitney for their cab light kit, I think it's about 60-70 bucks from them. I would probably let someone knowlegable do the installation if you are wary about doing it yourself. jmo. Drilling, wiring, not something i'd want to screw up.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:53 PM

I feel I am more than capable to do it myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is I just need some guidance from someone who has already done these from scratch. Yall's input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like it was said already- recons are a direct replacement- you need to get the temp plate from dodge or from another member that may have saved theirs!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM

So what your are saying is I need to order a whole 'nother kit from someone else just so I can properly install these? I figured somone could just give me some helpful hints! When I did a search on this subject, I found some people that pm'ed install inst. to other people. Maybe one of those people could chime in or pm me the info they recieved. Thanx for any further help on this matter. Please, just throw me a bone!!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I got some recons, the smoked ones like yours, and I am not too happy with the quality of their product, or their cust. svc. They sent me 1 bright amber bulb and 4 dim ones, when I called them about it, they said that any auto parts store in town sell them, you can get them from them.
As for your install problem, I would find someone that has the CL on their truck already, get a piece of wax paper (for cooking, tin foil size) or something that is long like that, and make a template for the holes. You'll have to pull down your headliner before you do any cutting. You'll see that it's pretty easy after you see how the factory did it. For power, I guess that you could tie it into the parking lights... I know that someone else did theirs from scratch, if I figure out who it was, I'll let you know.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037
I just got my smoked CL today. I didn't have CL's from the factory. There is no wiring, instructions, screws or a template even though their website says 'everything included' . Could someone point me in the direction towards a write-up on the installation of these. Recon said they don't come w/ install inst. or wiring or screws or template when I called them . Or if someone could walk me thru the install 'cause I'm paranoid about just driiling & wiring on my $45k truck. Also, do ya'll know where I can get a template for light location? TIA !!
Thanks for the heads up on the Recons...I was looking into those myself.
I figured on taking some careful measurments off a truck that already has the factory ones on them, but I would of thought that they'd come wth the wiring harness, If thats what they lead you to believe.

chuck
Old 11-26-2006, 10:42 AM

I'm not to happy w/ quality & **** sure not happy w/ their customer service. I may just return them. If I'm already this unsatisfied w/ Recon, I'd hate to see what happens if they don't function properly.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:19 AM

If you do return them, i would reccomend the kit from dodge, it is right at $100 bucks but it comes with good instructions, all the parts and a good template. It takes several hours once you get started. Once the headliner is out of the way it goes fairly quick. Good luck drilling those 15 holes.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree with getting the full kit from Dodge. It would sure be nice using the proper wiring harness with all the right connectors.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like the way the lights look, but I might as well bought them from k-mart or something, the way their cust svc is. Once I get the bulbs that I want, I'm going to have to seal them with some sillicone or something, I know that those foam gaskets that they sent me are going to leak...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:27 PM

You guys must have the old kits from Recon. Their new Dodge ram cab light kits are ALL L.E.D. someone here mentioned bulbs???The new kits are like I said, all l.e.d, so obvioulsly there are no bulbs. The new cablights are awesome quality, as you will read on this board from other members. As far as customer service, i cant speak for the company.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Mine are the LED's. By poor quality I guess I meant that since it was ONLY the lights. I think @ a minimum they would have included wiring instructions. I asked them if they have a seperate install kit & they said "Just go to the hardware store & for $5 you can get you some wire & screws".
Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by LFD2037
Mine are the LED's. By poor quality I guess I meant that since it was ONLY the lights. I think @ a minimum they would have included wiring instructions. I asked them if they have a seperate install kit & they said "Just go to the hardware store & for $5 you can get you some wire & screws".
How are the quality of the lights themselves?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like it was stated earlier. i have had a couple of new posts over the last month letting fellow members know that the recons cab lights are redesigned. htye are now plug and play! i got a prototype set sent to me at the end of august. they fit perfect- no leaks,etc. the leds lights look good too!

Quick Reply: Recon Cablights Install