3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rear wheel well linings AND mud guards??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear wheel well linings AND mud guards??

I've got the rear wheel linings and the molded mud guards for my new '04 I got yesterday. Anyway, which goes on first? I'm guessing the mud gaurds and then the wheel well liners?

TY.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 AM

Put the liners in first. The mudguards on the rear require you to drill a 1/4" hole through the wheel liner to install a plastic panel pop.

I removed the wheels to install the liners and mudguards on the rear. It's a little extra hassle, but makes drilling and screwing on the mudguards much easier. The fronts you can leave the wheels on and just turn them.

Congrats on the new ride

-Muzzy
Old 01-17-2004, 01:40 AM

The liners go in first and fit in behind the sheet metal all the way around and then your molded flaps fit over that. When you install the flaps you will have to drill a hole in your new liners for the inner support on the molded flaps.

Just a few suggestions when installing. When installing the new screws in the holes you drilled in the sheet metal use a good silicone RTV to help prevent rust.
On the front you can turn the front wheels for clearance to drill the appropriate holes. On the back you will either have to pull the rear wheels or jack the rear of the truck up so the rear axle drops down and this should give you enough clearance to drill properly.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
At least with the flat mudgards, make sure to line up one of the screws through the mud flap so that it hits the stock hole in the sheetmetal, and threads into the metal clip on the edge of the plastic inner liner (front or rear).

The dealer installed my front mudflaps with sheet metal screws threaded through the body only, and the bottom screw would work loose/pull through... They had also removed a screw that had held the bottom of the plastic fender liner (head in the way).

I added a screw through the mudflap lined up to hit the metal clip on the inner fender liner, and added a second clip for the lowest screw and drilled out the hole in the body to better secure them.

Oddly, whoever did the rear mudflaps had the screw line up with the metal clip on the stock plastic deflector, so it also lined up with the clip on the fender liner...