3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rear end question/sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
wwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end question/sway bar

I was wondering if anybody out there have sway bars on their dodge? I was wondering how good they worked, and if they keep your truck solid. Should i get me some or should i keep the trucks rear end loose like it is?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 PM

I have a Helwig on the rear. It works great. I got it for my slide in camper.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
wwm

does it keep the rear end nice and thigh, and not moving around like it is stock
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been considering adding a Hellwig Rear Swaybar myself. But one thing that helped tighten up my rear end and help handling as well is adding traction bars. It eliminated any spring wrap. I think it also helped side to side sway. This is just an idea for you........that you could do in addition to the rear sway bar.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM

I have been looking into some trac-bars too, but I have air bags on the axle, & haven't found any that will fit with them. The sway bar stabilizes the rear end very well. Definitely made a difference, both loaded, & empty.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I have been looking into some trac-bars too, but I have air bags on the axle, & haven't found any that will fit with them. The sway bar stabilizes the rear end very well. Definitely made a difference, both loaded, & empty.

The traction bars should not effect air bags. The bags fit ontop of the axle. As you can see in my pic above the bars connect to the shock absorber mounts under the axle. I plan to add some PacBrake bags and a Hellwig rear sway bar when the fund$$ become available.

My only clearance concern is the HW with the MH diff pan.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM

I don't thing the traction bars in the picture above would interfere with any airbags, but I can't see how trac bars would counter sway though.

Tex, trim those bottom bolts will ya?!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 PM

I saw that. I also saw that there are no heim joints in that system, & it looked like the brackets were welded on the frame. I would get some if they had brackets with no welding, & heim joints. Unless they are matching the geometry of the axle under heavy loads. With the weight I'm carrying I'll need the joints. I don't think they will help with sway, but I HATE IT when I'm in snow, & my leafs start to chatter my front axle. Shakes the whole truck.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:12 AM

Fisherguy....I kinda like the bolts sticking out.... Hmmm..Maybe some day i'll shorten them.

BigWheels..........it does include Heim joints and my brackets are welded on. You can have them just bolted if you choose. My truck doesn't have bags yet, but I have hauled 5000lbs in the bed for a short stretch and the traction bars were unaffected by it, even with the truck on the overloads. I think the bars actually helped.

I am not proposing the traction bars as a substitute for the rear sway bar. I am just saying based on my own experience that the traction bars helped the handling of the truck while cornering compared to without them. Mine are Lazarsmith bars...........with more info here... http://www.lazarsmith.com/tractionbars.html

Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the same bars with airbags with no issues.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though the traction bars control body roll around corners, I still run both Firestone airbags & a Helwig sway bar in my '05... it's heavy and I like great handling (.81G skidpad).

That combo also fits with aftermarket diff covers - PML on one of my trucks and a MH on a customer's 3rd Gen in the shop (along with a full 5" exhaust ).
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

I think my rear sway bar saved my life on a mountain road, when a dodge truck pulling a 5er was on the wrong side of the road. I was able to steer around him and still not go over the edge. He actually ducked down thinking we were going to crash.

On one of the highway loops where you circle around, I tested the handling. Stock I had to go much slower and still did not feel comfortable. With the sway bar I could hold my lane at a higher speed. It is not a sports car but it made a big difference to my truck.

I used to have a hard time keeping up with my friend DMax dually towing in the mountains, Now I maintain my lane while towing better than he does.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM

I was looking at the Glacier bars for a while, but they wouldn't fit with my air bags. I want some that won't interfere with the natural front/back movement of the axle due to spring flex, & the shackles. I haul my camper around for several months at a time during the hunting seasons, & I'd like to know my trac-bars aren't going to break something. I'm also not fond of welding, or drilling into my frame to mount brackets. I'll call Lazersmith, & see what they say about the geometry.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I'll call Lazersmith, & see what they say about the geometry.
Considering they already claim "the traction bars control body roll around corners," I suspect they will say just about anything to get you to buy them. I imagine they'll make coffee and do your laundry if the right customer wanted to hear that.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, if you ever drove a truck with our traction bars (or listened to anyone that has), you'd know they do exactly that.

Your rude & mistaken supposition should be retracted.

I don't tell other folks what they want to hear, but rather what I believe.

Quick Reply: rear end question/sway bar