3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rear Diff Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff Lockers

I was at Trick Trucks this morning as I am getting a 4" Bully Dog exhaust from the turbo back installed tomorrow. I inquired about a locker for my rear. After some calling around they determined that there wasn't anything for it yet. Then I started looking on here some and found out about AAM/Dana and I guess mine is the 11.5" AAM. I called ARB and found that they don't make anything for it either. They said there seems to be some demand and they are thinking about it though.
I ride mostly on the highway and don't really want a $400 autolocker that is going to destroy my tires and ride. I would consider an air since I have the ability to turn it on or off from the cab. What are other peoples thoughts on a locker and if there are any others available???
Thansk
Old 09-14-2005, 12:35 PM

I have checked into it as well and found nothing available yet. Maybe down the road....
Old 09-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Is doing the electronic locker in the front a good idea?
Pros-Cons?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:25 PM

With a front locker you risk snaping an axle shaft or u-joint etc. I would consider limited slip if we had hubs to disengage but we dont. If you must have a locker in front, air or electric is the way to go. A rear locker will get you a lot of places in 2 wheel drive.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 PM

I have 4 wheel drive with a limited slip but getting that thing to engage if it even will seems almost impossible. I have tried power braking etc. Seems a locker would just be simpler...
Old 09-14-2005, 02:24 PM

If you have a rear limited slip, then a locker in the front would serve your traction needs best. Even more so on our heavy front biased trucks. Offroad as a tire encounters an obstacle, the front tires will climb up instead of through an obstacle. The only time you would really notice the front auto locker is in 4wd. Eaton is coming out with one for the 9.25 up froont as it similar to the gm trucks. I just read in 4wd and sport utility that there are several manufacturers possible working on a rear locker. I hope to run the eatons fron t and rear. no air lines or sbent shift forks to worry about.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ramtough
If you have a rear limited slip, then a locker in the front would serve your traction needs best. Even more so on our heavy front biased trucks. Offroad as a tire encounters an obstacle, the front tires will climb up instead of through an obstacle. The only time you would really notice the front auto locker is in 4wd. Eaton is coming out with one for the 9.25 up froont as it similar to the gm trucks. I just read in 4wd and sport utility that there are several manufacturers possible working on a rear locker. I hope to run the eatons fron t and rear. no air lines or sbent shift forks to worry about.
So if I am understanding you correctly Eaton even at this time does not have one for the front? Electric front and rear would be my choice also. It would be nice that when these do come out for an 03 that this forum would do a front page add on it...
Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 03:19 PM

I just spoke with someone that told me the 14 bolt rear is the 10.5 inch and the 11.5 had less bolt rear. Is this true? Do I have a 10.5?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sparky3008
I just spoke with someone that told me the 14 bolt rear is the 10.5 inch and the 11.5 had less bolt rear. Is this true? Do I have a 10.5?
puny little hemi trucks get the smaller 10.5, diesels get the 11.5

the 9.25 front axle has an eaton e-locker available, has been for over a year.
as reported, yes, there is product in development for the rear from several manufacturers.

as far as the rear " locker " that gm offers, yes it is there gov-loc, or better known in the differential industry a " gov-bomb" its more expensive than aam's torson type , and doesnt work any wheres neer as well.

as far as the factory torson, its a great unit, and if you cant get it to work, then you probably need driving lessons.....
Old 09-15-2005, 06:58 AM

driving lessons, possibly but I bought a 4x4 not a 2x4 so it should be just that. I shouldn't have to power brake something to get it to "work".

Thanks for the info on the 11.5
Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 AM

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod7.htm
I stand corrected.
And from petersens 4wheel and offroad november 2005 issue, nuts and bolts page 122...
in response to a readers question of locker availability for his 02 gmc 2500HD w/ duramax
"No one has a locker for either the GM or Dodge version of this axle yet. We know you want them, so we' re pressuring all the locker manufacturers to develop one..."

So hopefully we will get several options. My personal preferance would be a full case locker for strength. hopefully we will be able to choose between a detroit (im surprised they dont already have one), an ARB and the Elocker. the detroit would be strong and reliable but perhaps twitchy for some, the ARB would offer full lock or full open for a wide variety of terrain however it requiress a compressor and sometimes troublesome airlines are its downside. The Elocker is simple and only has two wires running to the diff (read simple fix if they were snagged on the trail) however its reliability is yet to be seen due to its relatively new and limited applications. (h2's i believe were the first application for it)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:13 PM

I spoke with Randy't Ring and Pinion today that said my front end was a Dana 60. He gave me a Eaton part number of 19695 for a locker. When I look up that Eaton number it shows it for a Dana 44.
So is our 03 4x4 Diesel front ends a Dana 60 or 44?
Anyone know the Eaton part to go in it?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM

The front is not a Dana of any kind. It is an AAM 9.25. I'm surprised Randy's R&P told you that, I've always had good luck with them.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Tire Hater

Well, don't quote me on this, but I think lockers for chrysler 9.25" rear ends MIGHT work on our fronts. When I ordered my gears, they are labeled as chrysler 9.25" rp 4.10

So who knows...
Old 09-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Man, it is hard getting facts on this thing. Just got off the phone with 4wheelersupply and they also quoted me parts for a Detroit Electrac and Ox-locker for a Dana 60. I know the cover says AAM. Should I be telling people it is a late 03 model or something.
I called my dealer and all they can tell me is 3.73's they don't know crap either.
Thanks for your help...

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Lockers