3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Real-World - Please Explain the Edge Power Levels

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real-World - Please Explain the Edge Power Levels

My truck currently has the Edge Juice (no Attitude yet, but I should soon along with the installed pyrometer) and I just started to wade into level 3. As you probably know, the Juice has 3 levels, with level 3 being the same as level 4 (80 hp and 200 tq) if you have the Attitude. The instructions say don't tow with anything higher than level 2 (40 hp and 120 tq) and don't drive hard in levels 4 and 5 w/o the proper modifications.

What I want to know is for someone other than a cautious manufacturer or a ruin-all-my-fun-dealership to tell me how dangerous is level 4 (or level 3 if it's w/o the Attitude) for "normal" driving. I don't do any 0-60 runs, I don't race at the drag strip, and I live where it's fairly flat at around 600' above sea level. My definition of "driving hard" is accelerating from 70 to maybe 90 if passing on the highway, or setting the cruise at 80. I don't think that's what the manufacturer of the Edge has in mind when they say no hard driving... am I wrong?

So, given what I just said, do any of you with real-world experience think there is a problem with level 4 for my style of driving? And when I do tow, I plan on switching back to level 2.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Any takers...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM

I drive everyday on 3 (with attitude) No problems, and im not worried about anything....

Now if I rolled on 5 all day, id be a little worried about my stock tranny...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
I drive everyday on 3 (with attitude) No problems, and im not worried about anything....

Now if I rolled on 5 all day, id be a little worried about my stock tranny...
I think level 3 (with Attitude) is 60 hp and 150 tq. What would you say is your typical highest EGT when you drive "normal" or if you make a blast from 70 to 90?

I called Edge and asked them if I run on level 4 all the time and most of the driving is very "normal" if it's a problem. I was concerned about 200 additional lb/ft. of torque being pushed through the tranny every time the tac passes 1,600 RPMs. He said the additional fuel is delivered as a percentage of your throttle, so unless you're giving it full throttle then you are not receiving the full assault of power. That was good to hear since I didn't want all that torque there just for average driving.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lark
I think level 3 (with Attitude) is 60 hp and 150 tq. What would you say is your typical highest EGT when you drive "normal" or if you make a blast from 70 to 90?

I called Edge and asked them if I run on level 4 all the time and most of the driving is very "normal" if it's a problem. I was concerned about 200 additional lb/ft. of torque being pushed through the tranny every time the tac passes 1,600 RPMs. He said the additional fuel is delivered as a percentage of your throttle, so unless you're giving it full throttle then you are not receiving the full assault of power. That was good to hear since I didn't want all that torque there just for average driving.

I havent really noticed peak EGTs, cruising at 70-75, is 500-650, depending on the grade...
The highest EGT ive seen on the attitude is 1200ish, full wide out blast on 3, havent really ever had it on 5 but maybe once or twice to test it out...

These numbers are no where near my '97 12 valve though, I saw 1600* on that thing quite a bit if I burried the pedal in 4-5th

I wouldnt worry too much about the tranny unless you are beating the blank out of it daily, if so, back it down some as assurance....
I leave it on 3, and thrash on it some in my daily commute, but I wont ever run it on 5(or without and other mods) until I get a built transmission.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Stacked, have you noticed any significant slippage from the trans. on level 3 when nothing is being towed?

I should have the Attitude in place next Monday, then I won't have to bug you anymore. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
70-90mph is actually going to do more harm to the TC than 0-60. I ran mine on 4 and 5 with a stock TC for a while, but it was slipping. If you want longetivity out of the stock tranny, I would stick with the recommendations that Edge gives - they are pretty accurate.

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2007, 01:26 PM

Stacked, have you noticed any significant slippage from the trans. on level 3 when nothing is being towed?

I should have the Attitude in place next Monday, then I won't have to bug you anymore. Thanks!
I havent seen/felt any slippage to date...
Hauled a few things with it, the most being a buddies '57 Plymouth Wagon on a lil Uhaul dolley, had the Edge on 3, no problems, no slipping...

No problem, I dont mind helping if I can.

The only thing you should really worry about is using 4 or 5 all the time, or towing heavy with it on 4/5. If not, 2/3 should be just fine, even when towing heavy...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
70-90mph is actually going to do more harm to the TC than 0-60. I ran mine on 4 and 5 with a stock TC for a while, but it was slipping.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the TC was locked up at that speed?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Would 4 or 5 give better mpg just cruising @ 70mph? Just bought the truck and looking at tuners and boxes.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by fordracing19
Would 4 or 5 give better mpg just cruising @ 70mph? Just bought the truck and looking at tuners and boxes.
Today Edge tech support told me exactly that. If u keep ur foot out of it, it should return slightly better mpg since the truck is not working as hard.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM

It will be cruising in a stock truck at that speed but if you're running 65 on level 3 and go to pass someone on the highway it may be cause for concern.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly! It's the TC that isn't strong enough to hold the power. When the converter is locked and you apply too much power, it slips the converter.