3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Real benefits of exhaust & bhaf

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real benefits of exhaust & bhaf

I'm picking up my truck in 5 days. First mods I want to make are probably bhaf and an aeroturbine muffler. What exactly can I expect from these mods? Fuel mileage improvements? Louder in truck driving? What exactly are you guys getting from these mods?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 AM

I have air intake and exhaust mods. The performance improvement would be hard to measure. There is a little quicker spool up on the turbo. The main benefit I get is the combo lowered my EGTs around 75*-100* across the board. I doubt that there was much if any mpg gain, too small to measure effectively. These are necessary if you plan on doing any additional performance mods(box, downloader or injectors).

Depending on exactly what you do for a BHAF, you will probably be able to hear the turbo whine a lot more.

My Banks Cat back exhaust is a little louder than stock unless you put a load behind it or accelerate hard through the mid range rpms. Then it is loud. Normal driving or cruising it is just fine. I have heard a couple of straight piped CTDs that are just too loud for me to enjoy driving. But I love to hear them going down the road at WOT.

My .02.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many people buy aftermarket air intakes and exhausts dreaming of 1-2 MPG gains in mileage and 10-20 HP gains. The reality is that you will get little to none. Both of these items are designed for one thing, and one thing only, INCREASED AIRFLOW through your engine. Both are a necessary basis for adding performance modules/downloaders etc. They help compensate (via added cooling) for the extra fuel being injected by the modules/downloaders.

When buying these items, your expectations should be lower EGT's and nothing more. If you happend to pick up 1/2 - 1 MPG or 5-10 HP along the way, that should be a pleasant surprise. If you are buying these expecting a performance increase, then you will be dissappointed.

In my mind, AFE and Scotty's Air Ram III are the TOP 2 intakes to look at. Both offer the best filtration with the added air flow. Exhausts seem to be more varied.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 PM

And let us not forget that hp and torque numbers go DOWN (along with egt's) with the addition of an intake and exhaust on a STOCK engine....Dyno results proved that 1.5 years ago. Too much air ='s de-fueling.

--D
Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 AM

Your right.
I lost about 15hp with the addition of intake and exhaust mods with stock fueling compaired to the stock intake and exhaust dyno runs.
Torque did however come up about 5 lbs with the modded intake and exhaust.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:37 AM

I don't understand how too much air would cause de-fueling, but I'm new to this turbo diesel thing. I have built a few big block chevy engines and from what I understood, the more air you could get in an engine, the more fuel you could burn, the more power you would make. Anyway, all I'm really after is a better running, more efficient engine.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:20 AM

If you dont plan to add performance box/downloader for more hp/torque, then it is probably not necessary. The engine configuration is tuned very well for stock setup.

It takes a good deal of experience to put the correct set of performance mods together for optimal performance gains. I am currently at the dumb-axx level. I try to find the people that have a proven track record and ask a lot of dumb and hopefully not so dumb questions. There is a great deal of valuable information to be found on the many diesel forum sites. Sometimes maybe too much information to sift through. Most of the major diesel performance shops/sites will be glad to talk to you and answer questions about what you want to accomplish.

I suggest that before you do anything you have a good understanding of exactly what you want to accomplish and what it will take to get there. Don't forget that most engine mods have the potential to void some or all warranties.

Just my .02, good luck.