3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

RAQ stereo Aux input options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RAQ stereo Aux input options?

I've the stock RAQ (AM/FM Radio/Sat/6-Disc in-dash CD/MP3 - no aux input) stereo and am looking to poll others for after-market Aux Input options (I'm growing weary of my FM transmitter). I only require a 3.5mm stereo connection, mainly for my notebook (MP3, DVD, GPS, etc.,).
~>
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could install a wired FM modulator.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1OWUtdX...g=251550&avf=N
Can also find them at Circuit City and Best Buy.

MikeyB
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 AM

Lightbulb

Thanks for the tip/link MickeyB. Reading the specs & reviews, that looks like one of the better FM modulators out there. I am going to have to go only for direct connection though. Even good FM quality isn't ideal and many of the reviews point to noise and interference. Ditto on the noise level for cassette adapters. My personal experience with other FM modulators has been abysmal... could be all the radio towers around here &, when traveling I hate getting bumped when a station comes along at the same frequency.

I see that Mopar's IPod Integration kit also has a 3.5mm stereo input (F).
So that may be a good direct connection solution for some. I don't have an IPod, so it's overkill for me.

The leading contender I've found thus far is the AAI-CHY from PAC ~>

Auxiliary Audio Input for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles with Satellite or VES option.
• Two Auxiliary Audio inputs.
• Accessory +12 volt wire output.
• Left and right signal adjustments for each input.
• Plug and play.
• Works with Navigation (REC), 6 Disc/MP3 (RAQ), 6 Disc/Cassette (RAK) and Single Disc (REF) model radios. This is indicated on the front of the radios by the right ****.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

I would go with the PAC. USA-Spec may make one for our trucks also. Whatever you get, let me know because I have the same head unit and the same issue, but I want one input for my Sirius and another for a DVD player.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Bramage
Thanks for the tip/link MickeyB. Reading the specs & reviews, that looks like one of the better FM modulators out there. I am going to have to go only for direct connection though. Even good FM quality isn't ideal and many of the reviews point to noise and interference. Ditto on the noise level for cassette adapters. My personal experience with other FM modulators has been abysmal... could be all the radio towers around here &, when traveling I hate getting bumped when a station comes along at the same frequency.

I see that Mopar's IPod Integration kit also has a 3.5mm stereo input (F).
So that may be a good direct connection solution for some. I don't have an IPod, so it's overkill for me.

The leading contender I've found thus far is the AAI-CHY from PAC ~>
You may have misread on how the wired FM modulator works. Granted, it's FM quality signal but there is no noise or static. When the wired device (sat receiver, ipod, etc) drives the signal the modulator box turns off the external antenna so no FM radio signals can be picked up. I have one for my Sirius receiver, and tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference with audio quality between the satellite receiver and playing a CD.

MikeyB
Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 AM

Try out PIE.NET

Click on the products tab, they have adapters that provide direct connection for a bunch of stock stereos that will let you plug in accessories. My BIL uses one in his Honda and loves it. It sounds better than a wireless FM modulator.

~Rob
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MikeyB
You may have misread on how the wired FM modulator works. Granted, it's FM quality signal but there is no noise or static. When the wired device (sat receiver, ipod, etc) drives the signal the modulator box turns off the external antenna so no FM radio signals can be picked up. I have one for my Sirius receiver, and tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference with audio quality between the satellite receiver and playing a CD.

MikeyB
Aha, I think I've got ya know. This unit is FM but direct connect. So no radio station interference... I guess the reviews reporting hiss/noise/etc., must be interference of a different nature. Could be that it would work perfectly but if I'm already going to be taking the stock head out and wiring back there I think I'll still go with direct connect (no FM mod) ~ about $40 more is worth it from a quality and 'insurance' perspective for my application. Thanks again!

Thank for the link hotdram. I'd suspect that direct connect would always be of better quality than FM modulation... although with really good FM mod, direct, with no noise it may be difficult to audibly differentiate the two. Still, FM Mod seems an unnecessary step if one can just go direct. I'm surprised Dodge didn't just have an Aux-In (or 2) on their top end stereo.
Checking the PIE website, their application guide lists compatibility with 2006 RAQ units (probably GTG for '07's as well) ~> part# CHRY04-AUX/S
Not an awful lot (any?) of tech detail on their website. I found a bit more on this EBay Listing. Looks like a single RCA output/connect. That'd work.

ptgarcia ~> I think that PAC product is still the best candidate. It is direct, variable gain for two (2) Aux Inputs and works as selection VES on the mode select. I think I'd wire it up so that the 2 RCAs convert and terminate to 3.5mm stereo F inputs; one on the dash and the other in the glove-box.

Thanks again for all the input (no pun intended, lol).