3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Raptor Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor Noise

My raptor has been absolutely trouble free since I installed it a few months back. This past week I had it out in the snow a bit, parked it, and it sat for a few days. I get in the truck yesterday and instead of the low side pressure going up to 12-14psi very quickly, it goes to about 5, then slowly gets up to 12 (if at all). During the priming, I will hear a horribly loud whining noise from my pump. I heard that air leaks can cause this noise. I never heard it before, and the pressure never had a problem getting up to the 12-14 range within about 1 second of turning the key on. Truck runs and drives just fine, but with the low pressure my starts have become difficult similar to after a FF change. The FFs were changed about 3 weeks ago and truck hadn't skipped a beat up until the other day. I hadn't touched anything on the low pressure side of the system, so I'm somewhat confused as to why my pump is making these bad noises and not building as much pressure as it used to. Thanks for your help.

-J
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature

What was the outside temperature? Are you using winter grade diesel (#1) or #2? If you are running #2 or have a mix of #1 and #2 you might have some gelling problems causing the pump to whine seriously, requiring extra time to build pressure.

Another possiblity could be some water somewhere in the fuel system that froze up on either side of the pump.

L8r,.........dogger