3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Rappid Surging with XZT

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rappid Surging with XZT

I was finally able to run the truck with the camper on over the pass this weekend.I've had the XZT on for about a week.The truck ran great,except for some rappid surging when @ high power levels.Like above 2500 rpm.holding to the floor,or just off the floor.The box was ordered only 2 weeks ago.& I installed it last week.Any thoughts?Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm having the same issues. Bought mine Aug. 20th. WOT it misses or 'cuts out'.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your holding WOT while towing? Have an egt gauge by any chance?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM

acook,didn't read the sig?I have two.Pre,& Post.& fuel pressure,etc.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Wow, WOT above 2500rpm with a load!!! You are hauling some tail!

Ok, you have a fuel pressure gauge, so was that ok? It is hard to know exactly what you are talking about. Is the boost surging up and down or does it sound like the motor is surging? I don't guess I really know what "rapid surging" is? If you can explain that a little better for me I might be able to give you a real answer.

The only thing is sounds like it could be is the wastegate opening and closing? I guess you can answer that with some info about what the boost gauge was telling you.

LFD2037,

I am pretty sure these are two different things. You should definately not have a "miss". When does it miss? Anytime you go full throttle? That should definately never happen and the only thing I can think of that would make it miss at WOT at all would be lack of fuel. This can be a dirty filter or even a weka lift pump but, typically even those 2 things do not really make it happen with the XZT modules? I also want you to give me some more info and we can figure out what the deal is.

Quad
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Quad.I wasn't expecting you to be here tonight,but in answer to your questions.Yes,I had 15psi fuel press.@WOT.Thats taken from the cp-3 inlet.& No I didn't see any boost fluctuations from the X-Moniter,It may not be fast enough tocatch what was hapening thoe.What I feel is a slight surging from the drive axle...Say about 1 1/2 - 2 times a second,& I could hear the same from the engine.I suppose it could be spring wrap,or something like that causing the engine to "unload" for a second every 1 1/2 - 2 seconds.I don't let it stay up there for long periods.Just getting back up to speed again on corners going up the grade.& passing the big 5-er's.It's a slide in camper.About 3000# max.So ,yeah,I hammer it going uphill.My EGT.was about 1250-1300 pre,& 1000 post turbo.& boost was about 35#-37#.I'm happy with the performance.My temps were @1400+/& 1100 before the box.Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Quad.After thinking about it for a while now,I'm pretty sure that it was a fueling issue,or spring wrap.If it was the turbo.I would have heard a change in pitch.The whistle was verry consistent.The engine was what was varying in pitch.It sounded like saying NA-NA-NA-NA-NA. as fast as you can.& I could feel it in the drive train as well.Verry subtle.Allmost like a tire shimmy,but the tires are ballanced.& I don't recall my truck doing this before I installed the box.I've pulled this same pass every year at least 4 times a year.I'll get you the serial # on the box tomorow.Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2006, 11:53 AM

Quad, it happens @ WOT w/out a load. Don't know if it does it w/ a load, yet. @ about 2800 rpm's it feels like a rev limiter type feeling. Like it is studdering about 1-2 times a sec. Only @ WOT. HTH. '94, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Quad.I have the serial # for you now.It's #31367.Where I notised it the most was @ 2600 rpm,with 32 psi boost,constant,& 1250* egt.& 1000* post turbo egt.It also did it @ WOT on the way over but I backed out of it a little,& got on it again,& it seemed to go away.I'll try to run a similar hill today with/without the box on,& see what happens.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Ok.I just got back from my with/without test,& It's definitly the box &/or the harness.I tryed to recreate my problem from the pass on another hill on the interstate.It's not as steep,or as long,but it's the best I have around close by.I was able to recreate the problem with the box on,surging ,the same.I then turned around,& went back down.Stopped @ the gas station,cooled down,& removed the wires from the engine,& returned it to stock,& did the hill again.No surging that time.I was @ 65 mph in 3rd gear.locked up for both tests.Please advise.Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not good news. I was wanting to stack a XZT with my juice as soon as I get my glacier kit. Do I need to rethink the stack?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

where do you fella's have your boxes mounted? try to keep it away from any electronic modules. mine was mounted to the brake light switch module, and it would act up, like stuttering. moved it way up next to the column 4 months ago and no problems since.

on a different idea, are you guys using any fuel treatment/additives? these injectors are very susceptible to buildup and will cause some driveability issues. if not using any yet, try seafoam, stanadyne, or powerservice. good luck
Old 09-05-2006, 05:11 PM

Mine does the same thing...almost feels like a shimmy....
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Yes,I've been religously using PS/MMO for a long time now.,& I have the module mounted next to my X-Moniter,but I doubt that could affect the Quad box.Maybe I'm wrong?I contacted Quad today,& Roark talked to "The Man",& they want me to send it back to them for testing.Said this is the first issue of this kind they've heard of.I'll send it back tomorow.I hope they can remedy this.I only had the box on for a few hundred miles,& I miss the power allready!!!
If anyone else has the same issue with the Quad XZT.Please call them,& report it so they have more info to work with.Thanks All.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 AM

I am going to have them send you something out today just for grins. I cannot really see how it would change anything but, its worth a shot.

I just got back, a week ago or so from hauling 15K and running an XZT and I never had a shimmy or anything weird?

I am hoping we get it back and there is an issue with one of the IC parts on the board or something. That would make for an easy fix!

Maybe what I send you will fix it?

Quick Reply: Rappid Surging with XZT