3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ranch Hand Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ranch Hand Bumper

Hi all! I am thinking of putting on a Ranch Hand bumper (Cowboy) with an 8 inch drop for the rear. My question is, "Are these really a good bumper, or should I be looking at something else?". Can they take a beating because the stock bumper cannot take a hit on anything without putting a ding in it. I looked @ Buckstop and the one that starts with an R (can't remember the name off hand). The cost is 440 installed for the Ranch Hand.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Old 07-27-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nonford, I have one on the back and front of my truck and had them on my 01. My drive into work in the morning is before daylight and I see anywhere from 10 to 20 deer each day so I wanted something big up front. The rear can take a beating, they are stout. There are a few pics in my gallery fo both.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 AM

Ahhh hunter! Well, that dang bumper I got off you didn't last long. I swear, I was hitchin up and just tapped the post (no kidding, I mean the slightesdt tap, and it crinkled). ****** ME OFF! So, now I want/need something that will not give as easy. The same thing happened with my original bumper. Yeah, maybe I should have the wife back this thing up. I won't even go there...

Thanks...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 AM

Holy cow, you bent the one you got from me? Yeah I noticed the first time I picked it up that it was pretty light. I would go with something heavier this time. I think my rear bumper was right about $425 installed with the backup lights.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM

Can the factory frame mount reciever still be used with the Cowboy with 10" drop ?

Planning on purchasing the Cowboy rear & Legend front replacement for my 03' in two

weeks from Liquid OffRoad.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 AM

3ton:

Nope! They got to remove it. That is what they told me.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:40 AM

http://www.toughcountry.com makes some good equipment as well. I have the apache full replacement on the front of my truck. It is holding up nicely.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:37 PM

I looked at Tough County, great looking bumpers, but they were so much higher than the Ranch Hands from Liquid. I planning drive to Greenville & have mine installed Aug 12th weekend. Anybody what to get together from that area and talk trucks ?

Brad
Old 07-27-2005, 07:22 PM

If you have lots of $$$$ or a real nice sugar momma, I think this would be the ticket. Check out the pricing for the polished set up

http://www.offroadalloys.com/ORA/Index-Dodge.cfm
Old 07-28-2005, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im thinking of getting Ranch Hands....front and rear.........also possibly from Liquid Off-Road....not sure yet......I may shop a little more.

Here is my concern. My factory receiver hitch is rated at 12,000lbs capacity/1200 tongue weight with equalizers. The RH is only rated for 10,000lbs/1000lbs tongue weight and it goes down to only 5000lbs with a receiver tube.

I don't want to lose that extra rated capacity. If there is a way to KEEP my receiver already on my truck and use it..........and add the RH (or similar type replacement)........then I am game. Any ideas?

On the front........my only concern is the weight and load on the factory stock springs. I plan to eventually add KORE suspension springs to the front....so I don't know if I should wait to do it all at once......or go ahead and get the RH front end now.

OHHHHHH........so many wants....and so little cash. (DTT Tranny, KORE suspension, RH bumpers, etc etc etc.............Santa please be generous to me this year..........im being a good boy! )
Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 AM

you can keep your hitch w/ an 8" drop. the fer is about 200#'s. i was told that the fac bump is about 75#. so your really only adding about 125#. think about it, when you hop up on your rig to get under the hood the truck barely moves. i don't have one yet, but i won't hesitate to slap one on. just waitin for the money tree to bear fruit!!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:21 AM

misplaced,

R U saying that if I bought an 8" cowboy RH rear bumper.......I can still use my factory 12,000lb receiver hitch?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:04 AM

TexasCTD, you might want to check on that. I have the RH 8" drop and my factory hitch would not work and was removed.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:50 PM

How about a Road Armor Bumper?

Old 07-29-2005, 12:57 AM

Big Bob,

You have an awesome truck!! But that is not really the "look" I am looking for. Besides, I doubt I can afford those Road Armors.

I really like the look of the Buckstops.......but those things run about $1500. I little pricey for my budget.

So I am thinking of "settling" for a Ranch Hand. I think they look nice and are more reasonably priced and available here in TX.

Hunter,

Thanks for the info........and that is what I was afraid of. So how do you get a rear replacement bumper and not lose towing capacity from the receiver?
Is that impossible with Dodge trucks and what is available on the market?

Quick Reply: Ranch Hand Bumper