3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ram Air III and Standard AFE Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ram Air III and Standard AFE Filter

Howdy.

I'm looking into ordering a Ram Air III from Scotty and Rod but had some questions first.

1) From what I've read the RA3 gets it's cool air from the stock air inlet as well as an opening between the headlight and the radiator. Is there any problems with rain or water getting into it from the spot between the headlight and the radiator??

2) The RA3 comes with the standard AFE filter and not the Proguard. How well does it filter? I work in very dusty conditions (construction site) and I don't want to create a problem for my truck. I want more air but I don't want to sacrifice filtering to do it (as if that's actually possible).

Thanks.

Oh yeah....Scotty or Rod....what kind of ETA are we looking at for orders? You guys still backordered on these things?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
We called ALL of our back ordered customers this week. Those that got back to us are getting systems. Any new orders this coming week will get units now.
The time from order to arrival is roughly 10 days depending on the border clearance and the day it goes out. Order and ship Friday and we can add another couple days for the wknd.

If you are in really find silt/dust I would suggest getting a prefilter.
Some folks are wrapping their aFe in some thin foam to prefilter.

You can get that 1/4" foam at most hobby shops.

If you run in stuff like Baja...I would not use the standard aFe without a prefilter.

Hope this helps.

Scotty
Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 AM

No Baja here....but the construction site I work on is very dusty. Of course....the only time my truck actually runs in that dust is when I'm driving into and out of the site to my office. Other than that it's just sitting there (collecting dust). The rest of my driving is pavement for the most part.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prefilters are nice...easy to clean and keep your main filter cleaner longer. I could not notice the additional restriction with mine on. EGT or filterminder wise...
Old 07-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty

If you are in really find silt/dust I would suggest getting a prefilter.
Some folks are wrapping their aFe in some thin foam to prefilter.

You can get that 1/4" foam at most hobby shops.

If you run in stuff like Baja...I would not use the standard aFe without a prefilter.

Hope this helps.

Scotty
Scotty,
Elaborate a little more about "pre-filter" and the "1/4 inch foam". Where does a pre-filter go, or are you talking about wrapping the existing filter with the 1/4" foam? If you use foam, do you spray it with oil? What kind of foam is it?

Curious little bugger, aren't I?

CuriousMindBob
Old 07-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
CuriousBob, yes some folks have reported wrapping their aFe in 1/4" foam and using the nose cap for securing at that end by pressing the nose cap over the foam and letting the housing secure it to the rear. I have not had the need for that here.

Rod lives in an area of extremely fine top soil...that blows for miles with a light wind. So far so good without a prefilter for him.

I just now inspected my RA3 after 30,000 kilometers and it looks dirty but not real bad and on the inside it still is clean.
I have some cheese cloth and wiped out the turbo inlet hose...no dirt. If I really rubbed hard on the black hose I got the black coloring from it on the cloth.

In regards to locating the foam...I believe they can get a prefilter from aFe or source it thru a hobby shop in bulk and wrap it yourself.

I moved the papa spheres yesterday...actually put them in the bed of WLD RYD day before, heaved the 880 lb tire on top of some pallets to clear the bed rails and then off loaded them at our new training area yesterday. We needed your help.
"Don'tworryBobstayunderthetiresowedonotskuffit up."

Scottytossingtiresandloadingshperesandallthatstuff
Old 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Scotty, you big goof, you are a nut. You play with your "spheres" like I play with ping pong *****.

I just cleaned my RAIII after 11,000 miles. It was not all that dirty, mostly crudded up with those stupid love bugs. New fuel filter, oil change, air cleaner cleaned, fuel filled - - I'm ready to head out. See ya.

HeadinForCanuckLandBob
Old 07-05-2004, 07:33 PM

Take care of yourself Bob. I've gotta have someone around here to pick on.