3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rail mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
There's more than one way to skin a cat...

No doubt the OEM rails are machine finish only, and perhaps some of the bored rails are properly coated - some metal coatings are harder and more durable than the substrate to which they're applied.

I don't think this mod will help unless your truck is experiencing a power-robbing rail-draining issue.
Properly coated ???

coatings may be harder but, getting them to adhere to a surface and stay there under those extremes is another story.

I think there's a lot of people that could benefit from this mod cause all these boxes out there are helping the rails be robbed of fuel.

Popping my rail one time was enough for me.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM

I can't see what the benefit of any type of coating would be and you're absolutly right about being able to adhere it to a surface and make it stick under that kind of stress. I really don't think most people realize what 25,000psi is capable of. IMO
Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 PM

Wow this sure is an interesting read.

T&C Diesel is located in Blaine, Mn. About an hour and a half from me.

I have a couple of questions to ask here.

First off, say I were to have my rail done to the mild extent. Is this worth doing with the mods I currently have listed in my sig(including a GDP lift pump also). Are injectors needed with a mild honeing? Would you guys happen to know how long something of this magnitude would take to complete, one day maybe?

I may just call up T&C tommorow and get the skinny.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Wow this sure is an interesting read.

T&C Diesel is located in Blaine, Mn. About an hour and a half from me.

I have a couple of questions to ask here.

First off, say I were to have my rail done to the mild extent. Is this worth doing with the mods I currently have listed in my sig(including a GDP lift pump also). Are injectors needed with a mild honeing? Would you guys happen to know how long something of this magnitude would take to complete, one day maybe?

I may just call up T&C tommorow and get the skinny.
I would suggest just that... give Todd a call. He couldn't be any nicer of a guy and will be happy to help. The biggest benefit to the mod is, it helps to avoid draining your rail.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Yea i'll give him a buzz tommorow and see what the deal is. Before I can even think about this mod I need to order up a GDP kit and im going to be getting the new FP/RP gauge from Quad.

God I love these common rails!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned

Pics and write up soon to follow with the modding of my rail. Stay tuned.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will it be possible to compare the insides of each company's modded rail??
what I mean is I would like to see pics of the inside/finish on each of them??
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
will it be possible to compare the insides of each company's modded rail??
what I mean is I would like to see pics of the inside/finish on each of them??
I'll provide as many pics as possible.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
I'll provide as many pics as possible.
inquiring minds want to know Im interested on if it makes a difference. if it does there will be a modded one on my truck
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

you know you guys can do all the write up and pictures you want. The problem lies in the proof. The guy doing the coated mod for one will not provide it nor will he come on this board to state his case. Apparently it's below him to do.

He claims to know the " right " people at Bosch but, can't give a phone number. I was provided with a friend of a friends number that's in the same town his...

Seems to me... if you have a product that's all that, you'd want people to know about it and if someone else was doing something wrong, you'd want to let others know or even the person doing it.

This is something only the modder doing the coatings knows about so, unless I heard from someone more creditable that's not working out of their garage, as far as I'm concerned... he has NO creditability
Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Well I just got off the phone with Todd from T&C. What a helpfull guy, he realy took the time to explain things to me.

He said he is expecting some cores soon so I may just be buying a rail straight through him. This is going to work out realy well, he mentioned that they have a shop also that is only 15 miles from me. If all is good, I should have one pretty soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I have been talking to him too. And hope to have one here after the 4th. Will be on the dyno next month so i will let every one know how it works out.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jvjump
I have been talking to him too. And hope to have one here after the 4th. Will be on the dyno next month so i will let every one know how it works out.
Awesome, are you getting the "Wild" process done? Let us know if you gain anything.

Before I get this mod done I need some supporting help. I got to order up a GDP kit and the Quad Recon FP/RP gauge.

Hey Tritont, do you think it is ok to run this rail mod on stock injectors and a stock turbo?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 PM

I've heard about hard coating aluminum before, but mainly in the off road shock absorber field.

How it applies to the rail lines I have no idea. But I do know that it is not just a surface coating. It is a 50% penetration, 50% build up. So it is not something that is easily detached in high pressure situations.

Do a search on hard coating aluminum and you will find a bunch of companies that could answer your questions about it.

I don't mean to flame anyone, just pointing out that it could very well be what 973604x4 is talking about.

If Bosch did this coating to their rails, why would they give out proprietary information to anyone off the street? Sorry Trinont, I'm not in dissagreement with ya, just putting in my.02 cents.

Peace out ...................Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim Dynomite
I've heard about hard coating aluminum before, but mainly in the off road shock absorber field.

How it applies to the rail lines I have no idea. But I do know that it is not just a surface coating. It is a 50% penetration, 50% build up. So it is not something that is easily detached in high pressure situations.

Do a search on hard coating aluminum and you will find a bunch of companies that could answer your questions about it.

I don't mean to flame anyone, just pointing out that it could very well be what 973604x4 is talking about.

If Bosch did this coating to their rails, why would they give out proprietary information to anyone off the street? Sorry Trinont, I'm not in dissagreement with ya, just putting in my.02 cents.

Peace out ...................Jim
You make a good point. I didn't just talk to the corporate office though. If you look up their dealer network, there are shops all across the country that are authorized Bosch repair/dealers. I don't think they're worried about proprietory information. You'd think with them working on fuel systems all the time they'd know. I talked to one Cummins dealer that gave me the numbers of three shops they send all their fuel issues too. I called all three and 2 out of the 3 said they've never heard of it. The other didn't know anything. These weren't small shops either.

PVD is a coating that's bonded at a molecular level also but, isn't infallible. It doesn't chip but, will scratch and wear. I find it hard to believe that as clean as our fuel needs to be, anything would be put after the filtration that could possibly come off from wear or any other reason.

I'm no expert and I can't say for sure. All I've done with this post is state what I was told by many different people in Bosch repair and Cummins including T&C who cut up a rail to see what he could find. I have one person saying it HAS to have a coating and another saying, no it doesn't. When "I" anyway, come across a situation like this, I'll do some digging myself. You've heard what I found. Believe what you will.

The question should be... " why would there be a need for it period "

Diesel fuel can deteriorate many things over time, I don't think a hardened stainless steel would be one though. I assume that's what it's made of... I don't know.

Quick Reply: rail mod?