3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rail mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4
But who do you trust? I know the service writer at my local dealership doesn't know squat although he talks like it. How do you know whoever you talked to at BOSCH was infact a reputable engineer? He could have been a summer intern who drives a rice burner for all you know. People can pose a good front behind a computer or a phone.

I've met Bobby face to face. I've shook his hand and know he's an honest man. He wouldn't experiment on customers trucks. I trust the guy and he will do my rail mods.

BTW i think you singled out Bobby pretty good by putting "this is completely untrue" in bold print next to his name.

I don't mean to cause a tranny war thread about my guy is better than yours, but please don't single out anyone. Ty you mean well, you're a good guy too. I don't mean to cause a stink!
I tell you what, I'll take 20 or more Bosch reps,about 5 Cummins dealers and several people in the diesel performance world word for something before I'd take one persons. I'd point out anyone If I feel a shenanigans is called for, and in this case it was.

Hell, I'm a licensed electrical contractor and that's after 20 yrs in the trade and 4 yrs of apprenticeship school. but, I'd never say I knew everything. I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word as gold... I could be wrong sometimes..... that's when a few heads are better than one!!

I'll say it again..... RAILS ARE NOT COATED and Bobby is wrong. Dude, you just meet him yourself. How do you know he knows anything ? You must me one gullible person to think because you shook his hand, he's now a diesel god to you. As I said, I've talked to him and Bob is a very nice guy but he doesn't know it all.

There is no my guy, but if you think Bob is all that.... like you said, it is America. If you ask me... you're are taking a huge risk if he does use some kind of coating.

Just think what it will do to your injectors if the coating were to come off. The rail is under close to 25000psi of pressure. There is no coating that will adhere to metal that's going to withstand that kind of pressure.

Believe all you want but, it's in your best interest to make some calls yourself if you're not going to believe me.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 AM

I can see what your sayin tritont, the common rail injectors are very sensative to dirty fuels and thats why alot of 3rd genners try to filter their fuel down to 2micron even before it reaches the cp3, now just imagine if this coating were to come loose in the rail, there's nothing to filter that stuff out before it reaches the injectors and u know whats gonna happen next! OUCH!!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 AM

i was wondering about this mod. i dont know if this will work but instead of boring out the rail, what if someone was to get a a billet fuel rail like they use on gassers, have all the provisions made so that it would hook up to all the factory components, u can get the fuel rail unmachined and they sell them in long enough stock to fit a strait 6, and the billet rails are pretty big, u can get them in -10an sizes, maybe a dumb idea but is it worth looking into?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScienceOfSpeed
i was wondering about this mod. i dont know if this will work but instead of boring out the rail, what if someone was to get a a billet fuel rail like they use on gassers, have all the provisions made so that it would hook up to all the factory components, u can get the fuel rail unmachined and they sell them in long enough stock to fit a strait 6, and the billet rails are pretty big, u can get them in -10an sizes, maybe a dumb idea but is it worth looking into?
I bet it would work...but you would want to pressure test the new rail before you used it...26,000psi+ is a lot more pressure then a gasser injection system.
plus the rail bore is not to expensive I bet a billet rail would be $$$$
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
I'll say it again..... RAILS ARE NOT COATED and Bobby is wrong.

Just think what it will do to your injectors if the coating were to come off. The rail is under close to 25000psi of pressure. There is no coating that will adhere to metal that's going to withstand that kind of pressure.

Believe all you want but, it's in your best interest to make some calls yourself if you're not going to believe me.

I thought you didn't mean to single out Bobby?

close to 25000psi? HAHA...its more than that. Maybe you should call Bosch and ask again. The relief valve is set higher than 25k.

I should believe you? And you believed everyone that told you to keep your foot in it for the whole quarter mile...and we all know what happened to your 07 truck with 11k miles on it!

Man, lets just drop it. We aren't getting anywhere debating this like. If you want to keep discussing it and provide me some guys names and numbers I can call for information, send me a PM.

Back to the modded rail thread..........
Old 06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScienceOfSpeed
Good idea...but like ****** said, price would be a factor. I don't know much about metals...but whatever metal was used in the rail used has got to be able to stand up to 30,000psi.

I haven't even seen a rail blow up, but rumor has it that 25k+ psi goes straight out the hood of your truck. makes the hood look paper thin!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:48 AM

well i found the billet fuel rail from many different suppliers,i found an unmachined billet fuel rail from Aeromotive, www.aeromotiveinc.com, it is $33.77, it is 17.750" long, and has a 5/8" id. as far as it bursting due to high pressures, i dont think it would, it is a solid bar of extruded billet aluminum
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
I thought you didn't mean to single out Bobby?

close to 25000psi? HAHA...its more than that. Maybe you should call Bosch and ask again. The relief valve is set higher than 25k.

I should believe you? And you believed everyone that told you to keep your foot in it for the whole quarter mile...and we all know what happened to your 07 truck with 11k miles on it!

Man, lets just drop it. We aren't getting anywhere debating this like. If you want to keep discussing it and provide me some guys names and numbers I can call for information, send me a PM.

Back to the modded rail thread..........
dude... I don't care what you believe and I'm beginning to think Bobby is your boyfriend.

You're defending him as though I said " don't go to this guy " which I never did.

Get a grip ! make some calls yourself and you won't have to believe me.

btw... if you're seeing more than 25000psi
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by morkable
I bought a rail off of a member on here that is allready modded, waiting for it to come in.. hopefully it will be here next week so I can put it all together at once,, should have my turbo back by then,, everything else is piling up in a corner at the shop waiting,,,,,,

Kevin
Whats goin on with your turbo?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM

i think the cost would not be to bad, maybe someone could chime in who is a machinist and give us a round about figure on cost of machining the rail
Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Ok for those who don't believe what I've said.....

here's a site with info.....

Ad removed site violation
Old 06-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Well Wap that is a funny story,, you know how I thought I had a silver 62? Well I sent it away to IIS to have it upgraded to a silverbullet, that is how I found out I allready had a silverbullet. So while they had it down there I had them go through it and do some mods on it. They say that they can get over 90 psi out of these turbos, but they dont last long at that level,,, I had them make mine so that I should have around 70 psi ish.

Kevin
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=tritont;1577631]Ok for those who want to believe something other than what I've said.....

here's a site with info.....

does he have to have a stock one off my truck to mod? or a core type thing and I get one back? I will call him, just figured on a saturday nobody is there.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
does he have to have a stock one off my truck to mod? or a core type thing and I get one back? I will call him, just figured on a saturday nobody is there.
He's there and I'm sure will answer. I think right now he's honing each rail as they come in. No cores.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
He's there and I'm sure will answer. I think right now he's honing each rail as they come in. No cores.
I will give him a call thanks for the info. did you get your flexplate issue fixed?

Quick Reply: rail mod?