3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

rail mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a rail off of a member on here that is allready modded, waiting for it to come in.. hopefully it will be here next week so I can put it all together at once,, should have my turbo back by then,, everything else is piling up in a corner at the shop waiting,,,,,,

Kevin
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Let us know how it works out. With the mod pump i have plenty of fuel but a little back up would be nice just in case.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

I have to mention I'm also having this done to my rail. Before ever messing with something that deals with the kind of pressure, I was going to be darn sure what I was dealing with.

Bobby is a very nice guy and was very helpful with my questions. The problem with him doing the rail was his price for one, and the fact him claims the rail has to be coated. This is completely untrue.

I made at least 20 or more phone calls. I got on the Bosch website and started calling their dealers around the country. The ones that had a clue of what I was talking about, said no, there is no coating. I also called a number of Cummins dealers to see if they've ever heard of a Cummins coating, something Bobby said couldn't be bought over the counter. Not one had ever heard of it.

That's what didn't make sense to me. He said it's a Cummins coating and yet the rails are made by Bosch. Cummins wouldn't take another companies product and redo it in anyway as far as I know.

Now to the proof. The guys that's doing mine has done over 200 of them. I asked him about the coating thing and he said no way. He heard the concern I had about it and decided to go a step further.

He took a newer used rail that wasn't needed and cut it open in 4 slices. Then once open took a file to the inside of the rail to see if a coating was there. There WAS NOT. What he did find inside of the rail was that it has a extremely detailed machine finish.

After he called to tell me this info, I also got a call back from a message I left at the Bosch company headquarters. They said they don't use any coating in their rails and because of the extremely high pressure a coating would never hold up anyway.

Just a word to the wise.... when you're going to deal with something as dangerous as your rail... be sure it's done the way it should be. I'm not saying at all Bobby doesn't know what he's doing and I hope he doesn't take offense to this. I did my research on this though.

The guy doing mind has also tested the rails after honing, up to 40,000psi so, there's no need for fear of this process weakening the rail. There are claims of the process resulting in a 60hp increase but, I don't think there are any true dyno results to show that. What it will do is help prevent the rail from draining as quick due to having more volume.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tritont
I have to mention I'm also having this done to my rail. Before ever messing with something that deals with the kind of pressure, I was going to be darn sure what I was dealing with.

Bobby is a very nice guy and was very helpful with my questions. The problem with him doing the rail was his price for one, and the fact him claims the rail has to be coated. This is completely untrue.

I made at least 20 or more phone calls. I got on the Bosch website and started calling their dealers around the country. The ones that had a clue of what I was talking about, said no, there is no coating. I also called a number of Cummins dealers to see if they've ever heard of a Cummins coating, something Bobby said couldn't be bought over the counter. Not one had ever heard of it.

That's what didn't make sense to me. He said it's a Cummins coating and yet the rails are made by Bosch. Cummins wouldn't take another companies product and redo it in anyway as far as I know.

Now to the proof. The guys that's doing mine has done over 200 of them. I asked him about the coating thing and he said no way. He heard the concern I had about it and decided to go a step further.

He took a newer used rail that wasn't needed and cut it open in 4 slices. Then once open took a file to the inside of the rail to see if a coating was there. There WAS NOT. What he did find inside of the rail was that it has a extremely detailed machine finish.

After he called to tell me this info, I also got a call back from a message I left at the Bosch company headquarters. They said they don't use any coating in their rails and because of the extremely high pressure a coating would never hold up anyway.

Just a word to the wise.... when you're going to deal with something as dangerous as your rail... be sure it's done the way it should be. I'm not saying at all Bobby doesn't know what he's doing and I hope he doesn't take offense to this. I did my research on this though.

The guy doing mind has also tested the rails after honing, up to 40,000psi so, there's no need for fear of this process weakening the rail. There are claims of the process resulting in a 60hp increase but, I don't think there are any true dyno results to show that. What it will do is help prevent the rail from draining as quick due to having more volume.

hmmm very interesting info Ty...
that does make NO sense... why would Cummins get a rail from Bosch and then modify it with a coating????

can you PM me the guy's info who is doing yours and tell me what he charged you???
thanks

so he has done 200 rails!!!! why is it that we have not heard more about this mod???
I would like to see a dyno too.

thanks for sharing Ty
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
hmmm very interesting info Ty...
that does make NO sense... why would Cummins get a rail from Bosch and then modify it with a coating????

can you PM me the guy's info who is doing yours and tell me what he charged you???
thanks

so he has done 200 rails!!!! why is it that we have not heard more about this mod???
I would like to see a dyno too.

thanks for sharing Ty
The guy doing it has been a long time member here and on other forums. For unsaid reasons, he's not at this forum anymore.

I don't think I can post the info so, anyone who would like to know where to have it done... PM me. 53 a PM is on the way.

The reason I think there's not a lot of talk about this mod is it's so new to the public. High performance guys have been in them for a while and are likely keeping it as one of their secret mods to help the hp's.

I bet soon will be seeing a few of the big companies out there offering it.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 PM

The guy doing it has been a long time member and on other forums. For unsaid reasons, he's not at this forum anymore.

I don't think I can't post the info so, anyone who would like to know where to have it done... PM me. 53 a PM is on the way.

The reason I think there's not a lot of talk about this mod is it's so new. Guys doing it are likely keeping it as one of their secret mods to help the hp's.

I bet soon will be seeing a few of the big companies out there offering it.
Thanks ty
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 PM

I have a modded rail but have not installed it as of yet.

Someday.....

BTW it looks like a quality job.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 PM

X2 thanks Ty
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I have a modded rail but have not installed it as of yet.

Someday.....

BTW it looks like a quality job.
man I wish I had cool parts lying around waiting to be installed
get it in and let us know how it works!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

What did he cut the rail with? its kinda hard to cut up hardened annealed tool steel.

Interesting about Bosch. Isn't that company's headquarters located in Germany?

BTW Bobby IS a cummins tech. He has certified cummins training and all the cool stuff. He would be the guy to believe IMO.

To each his own Ty....thats the beauty of America
Old 06-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
What did he cut the rail with? its kinda hard to cut up hardened annealed tool steel.

Interesting about Bosch. Isn't that company's headquarters located in Germany?

BTW Bobby IS a cummins tech. He has certified cummins training and all the cool stuff. He would be the guy to believe IMO.

To each his own Ty....thats the beauty of America
Don't know what he used to cut it but, a machine shop an do wonders with steel :-)

The Bosch USA company headquarters is in Michigan FYI. Just go to their site and look up Bosch dealer. You can choose from the world or pick your country. I picked my country and called as many 800 numbers as I could find.

I never discredited Bobby as a Cummins tech. There's more to modding parts in a motor than knowing " cool stuff " though. I'm sure he does know what he's doing.... this coating thing threw me though and I dug real deep on it. Many trained techs wouldn't know the first thing about a modded motor. I'm sure Bobby won't appreciate all this but, as I see so many times on these forums.... misinformation can be a bad thing.

Todd the guy doing my rail welcomes a public debate about it and I've also given Bobby Todd's info for them to talk about it on the phone.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

Todd the guy doing my rail welcomes a public debate about it and I've also given Bobby Todd's info for them to talk about it on the phone.
Well then we can leave it up to them. Man, i would love to see that debate on the forums somewhere. It would be a GREAT read.

All I have ever heard is you HAVE to coat the rail...not from just Bobby either. I'm not saying your wrong, cause you have obviously done more research on this than me.

Even IF Bobby is wrong or slightly off on his information, he is the kind of guy to stand up and admit his fault...and even pay for it in some instances. I know for fact that's the kind of guy he is....so no matter what, I trust Bobby working on my truck.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 973604x4
Well then we can leave it up to them. Man, i would love to see that debate on the forums somewhere. It would be a GREAT read.

All I have ever heard is you HAVE to coat the rail...not from just Bobby either. I'm not saying your wrong, cause you have obviously done more research on this than me.

Even IF Bobby is wrong or slightly off on his information, he is the kind of guy to stand up and admit his fault...and even pay for it in some instances. I know for fact that's the kind of guy he is....so no matter what, I trust Bobby working on my truck.
Well, I haven't meet him like you have but, in my conversations with him I'd let him work on my truck too. My truck may have been to his house before yours if I didn't live 1000 miles away.

The fuel systems on our trucks are so fine tuned, critical and expensive though... I don't care who you are, I personally would do the extra research before letting it be touched. You wouldn't believe what I've been going through on injector tips !!

I'm not at all singling out Bobby... my truck is at Scheid now being built. They obviously know their job and yet I still double, triple and in some cases quadriple check info I receive. If something doesn't seem right.... I'll get to the bottom of the right answer one way or another. It's very easy to do with a computer sitting in front of you and with the investment involved... you'd be crazy not too.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Banned

Well, I haven't meet him like you have but, in my conversations with him I'd let him work on my truck too. My truck may have been to his house before yours if I didn't live 1000 miles away.

The fuel systems on our trucks are so fine tuned, critical and expensive though... I don't care who you are, I personally would do the extra research before letting it be touched. You wouldn't believe what I've been going through on injector tips !!

I'm not at all singling out Bobby... my truck is at Scheid now being built. They obviously know their job and yet I still double, triple and in some cases quadriple check info I receive. If something doesn't seem right.... I'll get to the bottom of the right answer one way or another. It's very easy to do with a computer sitting in front of you and with the investment involved... you'd be crazy not too.
But who do you trust? I know the service writer at my local dealership doesn't know squat although he talks like it. How do you know whoever you talked to at BOSCH was infact a reputable engineer? He could have been a summer intern who drives a rice burner for all you know. People can pose a good front behind a computer or a phone.

I've met Bobby face to face. I've shook his hand and know he's an honest man. He wouldn't experiment on customers trucks. I trust the guy and he will do my rail mods.

BTW i think you singled out Bobby pretty good by putting "this is completely untrue" in bold print next to his name.

I don't mean to cause a tranny war thread about my guy is better than yours, but please don't single out anyone. Ty you mean well, you're a good guy too. I don't mean to cause a stink!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:40 AM

Im interested in this as well and thought i seen that T&C Diesel Performance is doin these rails also but cant find any info on there web site!

Buddy

Quick Reply: rail mod?