3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

quiet muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled the muffler a week after I got my truck, I didnt really like how it sounded, it was ok, but not good. About 9 months after I pulled the cat, completely straight turbo back, that sounded good, but had a nasty drone and was loud!! My neighbors hated me. That lasted about 6 months, I couldnt take it anymore. I had a magnaflow put in about a month ago and love it, its still kind of loud outside, but nice and quiet/mellow inside. Also no more drone.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM

I bought one off Ebay, Stainless, think it was 30"? Anyway, I put on mine with the stacks because of other halfs complaints. Well it was TOO quiet. So I then went to the Aero and it is perfect, and NO MORE DRONE!!!! I still have it if anyone wants it but it was only $60 on ebay with shipping so I guess I really cant get much for it.

Anyway, Ebay muffler - too quiet and inexpensive.
Aero muffler, perfect (for me)
Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM

OK. UPS brought me my 51" Donaldson. I crawled under last night with it to inspect what I'll need to do. Looks like I have to cut the center hanger off the truck and cut the pipe just behind the front clamp 3-4". So there will be this little short pc in there. I didn't expect that. Do I need to rotate anything? Looks like it'll be a very tight fit to the frame rail.

Anyone have any tips for the install?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:16 AM

It amazed me with how large it is when I received mine. I actually left the center hanger with the rubber on the hanger. The muffler went right up against the rubber on mine. At 1st I had left the rubber off but I was afraid the muffler might hit the hanger and make noise or possibly damage muffler.

I 1st tried to leave the taipipe section on the truck and work the muffler in the middle of the 2 sections and just fought with it. I finally removed the tail pipe and installed the muffler onto the front and then re-installed the tail pipe section and went well. I did not have much room sliding the tail pipe section back on mine as I have a 5" silverline that does not leave much space from tail pipe to spare tire.

I cannot imagine the short bed users that have these mufflers on them and how tight it must be to install.

I do like how mine sounds after it was all done. It has been a several months since I put mine on.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM

I payed $49.99 for my Donaldson at the local Truck Pro! (M100465). Man...my hearing is starting to come back! Used 5/4 couplers....pretty easy adaption to my MBRP. The Drone is gone throughout the entire rpm range!
Can't really tell any loss in power...although the 100465 has pretty good flow!

No more setting off car alarms!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gpshemi
OK. UPS brought me my 51" Donaldson. I crawled under last night with it to inspect what I'll need to do. Looks like I have to cut the center hanger off the truck and cut the pipe just behind the front clamp 3-4". So there will be this little short pc in there. I didn't expect that. Do I need to rotate anything? Looks like it'll be a very tight fit to the frame rail.

Anyone have any tips for the install?
I got a 4" x40" straight through muffler from another member. Took it to a muffler shop and had it welded in using two 45*x 4" elbows right off of the CAT. This allowed the muffler to be installed straight, high, and tight leaving the stock tail section intact.