3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Questions on my Shopping Cart List

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on my Shopping Cart List

Ok guys, here is what I have so far. Keep in mind I am a newbie and trying to gather as much info as possible before making these decisions so there may be some blatant mistakes I am making.

AFE Stage 2 Intake
PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake
5" MBRP Aluminized 5" Turbo-Back exhaust
ATS Aurora Twin Turbo
FASS Fuel System (150GPH)
South Bend DD Street Comp 3850 LB. FB Dual-Disc Clutch
Cobalt Series 0-1600 EGT Gauge
Cobalt Series 0-60 PSI Boost Guage
Cobalt Series 0-30 PSI Electrical Fuel Pressure Gauge
Three Guage A-Pillar Mount for Gauges

My questions are:
Is a TST Twin setup better that the ATS? (I am confused, does TST even offer a Twin setup?)
Should I get a TST box with either the ATS or TST twin turbo?
What intercooler woudl work best with the Twin setup?
What kind of head studs do I need/want? (e.g., O-Ring Head, Fire Ring Head, etc. I have NO idea what this is????)
What else am I forgetting that I will need? (I assume I want Cams, Injectors, and the CP3 High pressure fuel injection system???)
Any guesses as to what kind of HP and TQ I would be looking at?
With this setup, will I be able to tow heavy loads with performance turned either all the way up, or almost all the way up?
Thanks guys!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.ramairhoods would be a good one to add on there. For about $1000 you can get the srt10 hood, airbox and new grill painted and shipped to your door.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 AM

TST is an ajustable box that alters injection timing and duration. They don't have turbos. They have a twin "program" for those that run two turbos to help spool them at an earlier rpm.
Keep reading... you're getting there...
Personally, I'm looking at ArcticAir or a few others compound turbo setups. I'm sure you'll get better info from those who run em'.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
My questions are:
Is a TST Twin setup better that the ATS? (I am confused, does TST even offer a Twin setup?)
Should I get a TST box with either the ATS or TST twin turbo?
What intercooler woudl work best with the Twin setup?
What kind of head studs do I need/want? (e.g., O-Ring Head, Fire Ring Head, etc. I have NO idea what this is????)
What else am I forgetting that I will need? (I assume I want Cams, Injectors, and the CP3 High pressure fuel injection system???)
Any guesses as to what kind of HP and TQ I would be looking at?
With this setup, will I be able to tow heavy loads with performance turned either all the way up, or almost all the way up?
Thanks guys!
TST is a box that sells a programming setup for twins...it helps the turbos spool sooner.
TST box is definately a good way to go for any truck.... I would check into other companies twin setups though.
Stock intercooler is fine, you will run the turbos inline anyways. If you REALLY want to upgrade, the Banks intercooler is the only one I know of out.
Studs.. ARP all the way. Oring is sorta as it sounds. They cut a "o" shape into the head around the combustion chamber. Doing this, you have to run an oring gasket which is like a normal head gasket but there is an embossed section that matches the oring. Doing this will allow you to run a lot more boost...SAFELY.
You have down the FASS and a modded cp3 would be nice but I dont think you HAVE to. Since you are going to dump that amount of cash, might as well get some 100hp injectors while you are at it.
Im guessin you will run mid to high 600hp at the wheels. This should still be able to tow just about anything.

Oh yeah... wanna send me your stock parts
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
TST is a box that sells a programming setup for twins...it helps the turbos spool sooner.
TST box is definately a good way to go for any truck.... I would check into other companies twin setups though.
Stock intercooler is fine, you will run the turbos inline anyways. If you REALLY want to upgrade, the Banks intercooler is the only one I know of out.
Studs.. ARP all the way. Oring is sorta as it sounds. They cut a "o" shape into the head around the combustion chamber. Doing this, you have to run an oring gasket which is like a normal head gasket but there is an embossed section that matches the oring. Doing this will allow you to run a lot more boost...SAFELY.
You have down the FASS and a modded cp3 would be nice but I dont think you HAVE to. Since you are going to dump that amount of cash, might as well get some 100hp injectors while you are at it.
Im guessin you will run mid to high 600hp at the wheels. This should still be able to tow just about anything.

Oh yeah... wanna send me your stock parts

The more I read the more I started to realize that "TST twins" meant a program and not turbos! It's tough to understand all of the abreviations and terms when you know virtually nothing about this stuff. I the ATS twin turbos aren't that great, who does make the best twin kit? BD Diesel? I would certainly send you my factory parts if you sent me money in exchange

I am glad to hear the HP number since over 600 is where I want to be. The difference is I need it to be there in ALL conditions, so that why I figured, the FASS, CP3, and Fire Ring head was the way to go.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:20 PM

LOL..there are a TON of abbreviations floating around, just takes some time to figure it all out.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM

You should fill out your sig page so we know what year truck and stuff you have.
05 and later, I believe, have a MLS head gasket and plenty of guys are making 600+hp with just head studs and not needing fire ringing.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
You should fill out your sig page so we know what year truck and stuff you have.

That better ?

What kind of Twins (turbos) should I be going for if not ATS? BD Super B Twin ?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:20 PM

Your best bet is to do a search on "twins" or "compound turbos" and read all you can.
Some that I know of are ArcticAir, Piers, Schied, Kendricks, Idaho... I'm sure there are many others.