3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Questions for guys with big tires on duallys.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abc4yew, you're right, I think I'll just scrap the whole idea and just keep the stock tires and rims. Safety should come first.

I just can't find a rim I like in 19.5's

..........Jim
Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 AM

Jim, If you don't like any of these wheels...you need real professional help. ks

http://www.cwdima.com/home.htm
http://www.brentzwheels.com/wheels.html
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim Dynomite
The guy at the tire store totally blasted me in front of a bunch of customers today when I asked him that question. "How could I be so irresponsible to put my familys life in jeopordy to put spacers on the axles of a vehicle designed to tow heavy loads?"

I thought he was gonna chew me a new one. I didn't even have a chance to argue with him, I just said "ok" and walked out.

As I walked away I thought to ask him why he sells 8" lift kits and 40 " tires for SRW 3500's but I thought the better of it.

I think I'll give arrowcraft and performance wheel a call monday and get some prices.

Thanks.....Jim
Up untill about a year ago I had a 97 chevycrew cab dually (gasser ) It had 9" of lift and I ran 35" super swamper tsl tires all around w/ spacers. I went to my local tire shop and asked them if they could rotate them for me. The owner blasted me as well. He refused to touch them. He said my set up wasnt safe and he didnt want the liability. So I took it to another shop and they had no issues what so ever.

As far as towing goes. My only issue was that when I hooked up to my 16' big tex with a vehicle on it, the rear tires on my truck would come very close to rubbing. I had to make sure all 4 were aired up to the max. I'm sure some of this was caused by the type of tire I was running as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM

Jim, If you don't like any of these wheels...you need real professional help. ks

Brentzwheels was my first choice. However, I really didn't like any of the styles and he only offers polished, not chrome. Plus, he quoted me $6000 delivered with tires. Tires are not what I wanted either. Not enough aggresive tread styles.

I paid $4K for my six Nitto's, 5 Don Driv (including spare), spacer and install labor.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:43 PM

$1500 for the Trxus M/T's and $200? for the spacers. I need to put some pics in the gallery..
Old 02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

I'll tell ya, I have been in this quandry (I guess that is how you'd spell it) for months and months. Big tires, load rating, spacer or no spacers, blah blah blah. I'll tell you my honest opinion and I have no affiliation with them what so ever, but I think http://www.ricksontruck.com/ has the absolute best solution for our problems with tire wear, heat, capacity etc. The only problem is the dad-gom cost of these things are outrageous. I totaled up what I wanted for my truck and it pegged out at $4100! That's insane! However, if you want something that you can absoulutly rely on to not fail and tires that will last through 4 sets of these sissy LT tires, I think this is the way to go.

I want the standard steel powder coated rims, 19.5 x 7.5 with the Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 tires. These are load range H tires with over a #5000 rating each. Look good, just cost too much. The aluminum rims are even more, but sharp as you can buy. They custom match tire and rim, mount, balance, and deliver them ready to bolt on your truck, for an outrageous delivery fee. You can even get 285/70R19.5s which are, I believe, taller than your 35's with a G load range!

Any way, if money isn't the issue, and safty is, I think these are the way to go. Check them out. Maybe they'll cut me a deal for promoting them! Ya, right. When pigs fly!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew

Thats what my wife says too! .

Nope, don't like'em

abc4yew, you are the voice of reason. But can I at least wish I had a truck as nice as Toykraz!

BTW, what about dropping the air pressure in those 19.5's? When we go to Pismo Beach I have to drop to 10lbs to get off the beach to higher ground. Will they stay on the rim at that pressure? The guy at Les Schwab said I wouldn't get any floatation out of 19.5's and would probably pop the bead if I aired down .

He also said the tires I want in 19.5's are a traction tire, so high price, rough ride, and not that much more wear in the mountains where I live.

Flame suit on!! ..........Jim
Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 PM

well i dont know about function weight rating etc but the baddest looking set up on a dually is a set of stock wheels with a set of 34 10.50 17 super swamper ltb's all the way around and at 127 a piece all that talk of $4k is bull. if you want looks get another set stock dually wheels mount a set of these ltb's and you will have a baddest rig! of course that's my op

by the way there was some pics of a silver rig someone had this set up on no spacer is needed for this set up either. can somone find that pic i think he posted it on the tdr
Old 02-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Catcracker, They are nice, They might just fit. I have Cooper 265's ST and they will not fit on the duals but they are 11 inches at the sidewall. They were .5 inch too wide. You'd have to keep them aired up if you were towing heavy. I'd like to see that pic too to see how much they have.

Jim, the wider 19,5 inch tires are called floatation tires. They go up to 285 wide. The tallest I've seen are 37". A 265 on a 19.5 rim will have a bigger footprint and lower ground pressure than on a 17" rim. You can air the tires down to the minimum pressure spec of the manufacturer. The tread depth is much more on 19.5" they are regrooveable and they will last atleast twice as long as LT tires. ks
Old 02-02-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CATCRACKER2
well i dont know about function weight rating etc but the baddest looking set up on a dually is a set of stock wheels with a set of 34 10.50 17 super swamper ltb's all the way around and at 127 a piece all that talk of $4k is bull.
Well you're right about " function, weight rating, etc".

A friend of mine had a set of LTB's on his truck. They are way to aggressive, tire wear was horrible, would not balance, drove like square tires if you let them sit for a couple days, and they are not weight rated to match my needs.

Other than that, they look great. And I think they lasted 10k miles.

No, I don't think I want LTB's.

............Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CATCRACKER2
well i dont know about function weight rating etc but the baddest looking set up on a dually is a set of stock wheels with a set of 34 10.50 17 super swamper ltb's all the way around and at 127 a piece all that talk of $4k is bull. if you want looks get another set stock dually wheels mount a set of these ltb's and you will have a baddest rig! of course that's my op

by the way there was some pics of a silver rig someone had this set up on no spacer is needed for this set up either. can somone find that pic i think he posted it on the tdr
Those LTB's are for rock crawling. They won't last long on the highway.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM

Guys, I think the tire companies are whacky. If you had a 255 85 17 tire with a load range E all us diesel guys would buy it. It is the ideal tire size. 34 inches in diameter and 10 inches wide. Good mileage, tall for ground clearance, high profile for smooth ride with a nice agressive all terrain tread . Not too big to screw up gearing. I miss 16 inch rims...such better choices. ks
Old 02-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Everyone needs to start emailing BFG. If they know there is a need, they may fill it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:50 PM

BFG firstly needs to make more E rated tires then the 255's. These Cooper ST's are making me a Cooper boy....They are wearing like Iron and they go places trucks gotta go. ks
Old 02-02-2006, 08:53 PM

i will 2nd that we need a 255 85 17 bad its the perfect tire for dually's. seen some 255 16's muddawgs on a dually man they looked mean

Quick Reply: Questions for guys with big tires on duallys.