3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Questions for guys with big tires on duallys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for guys with big tires on duallys.

New guy here . I've been looking at duallys with big tires here, sure are a lot of nice rigs.

My question is, can you still max out your payload and still be safe? I'm not trying to be the weight police, I would really like to put 35's on my truck but I know I'll have to use a spacer between the tires.

I carry a 4000lb Lance camper and tow a 25ft enclosed snowmobile trailer behind that. Would that kind of weight and leverage on the spacers be ok?

Your opinions please, big dually owners.....Thanks,......Jim
Old 01-28-2006, 10:41 PM

See my pics. I've pulled a 29ft trailer with a loaded weight of about 13000, I've never had a problem. My 2000 dually had 35's as well and I pulled a 35 ft gooseneck that loaded with cattle would top about 18-20K. We put over 200K with that configuration and never had any problems with tires or spacers on it. These spacers are either solid aluminum or steel.... your wheels will bend before your spacers will give.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ramasaur, you from new bransfels? i notice the BB motors flaps.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:06 AM

The guy at the tire store totally blasted me in front of a bunch of customers today when I asked him that question. "How could I be so irresponsible to put my familys life in jeopordy to put spacers on the axles of a vehicle designed to tow heavy loads?"

I thought he was gonna chew me a new one. I didn't even have a chance to argue with him, I just said "ok" and walked out.

As I walked away I thought to ask him why he sells 8" lift kits and 40 " tires for SRW 3500's but I thought the better of it.

I think I'll give arrowcraft and performance wheel a call monday and get some prices.

Thanks.....Jim
Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 AM

Yes, I was born and raised in NB.... I lived in SA up until 03. We plan on moving back sometime before July.... Ü Cant wait. Alabama's got nothin' on TEXAS !!!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:28 AM

I haven't had any problems with my setup and I am running a 3" spacer due to the aggressive sidewall tread of the Nitto Mud Grapplers. I have probably had a max bed load of 2500lbs while towing an enclosed motorcycle trailer.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:28 PM

35 inch tires on a dually....

Dynomite, just be sure the tires going on the rig have an E rating. Many people are running larger tires at the expense of a lower D load rating and it puts a lot of extra strain, heat on the tires which can lead to problems in hotter climates. Toyo makes some SUPERIOR large size tires, carrying capacity-wise. Their line of Toyo All Country M/T's all carry the E load rating as well as a rock solid 3 ply sidewall. BTW, for those wondering, I manage a family-owned tire/trailer parts shop that's been doing it all for 28 years. So, I've seen my share of tires and just want to point people in the right direction if at all possible. We carry and sell all brands of tires including Michelin, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, Cooper, Toyo, Maxxis, just to name a few. We've seen many tires first-hand in-field in the roughest, hottest, and most demanding areas of South Texas and can tell you which ones WORK, which ones ride the hype, and which ones you shouldn't put on a Cummins equipped Dodge. As for spacers, well, if you asked me my honest opinion, I don't know that I'd recommend that someone set up a rig for everyday work/towing with spacers. I also know that liability-wise, we'd never sell spacers either. I've never seen a spacer fail, but that being said, I wouldn't want to see the consequences if one did. I've seen the consequences of a tire failure, a wheel failure, and those were stock O.E.M. items which were spec to the vehicles on which they failed, so an aftermarket spacer would just raise my concerns. Oh, and I don't think the guy who chewed you out had any right to do so. I give people recommendations but don't see it right to blame or accuse anyone of having an opinion. Hope the load rating tips help.

-just my $.02
Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Oh, and as far as that guy selling 8" lifts and 40" tires for SRW 3500 trucks, it's because with an 8" lift and 40" tires, what KIND of bumper/drop-hitch combo are you gonna run to level any type of trailer you're towing with it? If you were able to hook a trailer to it, chances are very good that the front wheels would probably be airborn or carrying very little of the load at that point. He sells them cause he knows that any body with any towing sense knows the truck will be for show from that point on. I have a friend that has a 9" lift and 40" tires and it would be a miracle to tow anything of any significant weight with his truck. It's a show piece since he did the lift and you can't really even haul in the truck bed cause you can't reach anything back there anymore.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the input you guys. I went to my local Les Schwab tire today and ordered up some rims and tires. They didn't rip me a new one, actually very friendly and knowledgeable.

Toy Kraz , I hope you don't mind but I ordered the Driv Don's .

I also went with 2" spacers from Performance Wheel.

I'm gonna run either Toyo Mud Terrains or Hankook Mud Terrains. Lonestar CTD, both are "E" rated 10 ply.

The Hankooks are B/O till March 1st, and the Toyos are B/O till April15th.

The Hankooks are $50 cheaper per tire, what do ya think?

I know Hankook makes OTR truck tires, but don't know muck about their LT tires.

Thanks......Jim
Old 01-30-2006, 09:07 PM

What size are you going to run, and do you have a lift? If you don't have a lift, you can safely run 285's or 33"s with the dually wheels. If you do ANY type of offroading or have a steep driveway....you will rub when backing down while turning. I had 285's on mine prior to my 4" lift, I only rubbed when the wheels were turned and I had the axle articulating while offroad. But.....I use my truck offroad, some people don't with duallys???
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 PM

Ramasaur, I am going with 35 12.50 17. I will be putting on a 2.5" leveling kit.

I rarely use my truck in off road situations like you speak of. Mostly I use it to tow my camper and trailer off road in the sand or dirt but nothing too aggresssive.

I can't put any lift on the rear of the truck because that would make it difficult to load the camper in the back.

..........Jim
Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 PM

Where are you getting a 2.5 inch? Are you having it made? Normally the prefabbed one's are only 2". I had a 1.5" one made because even with a 4" superlift, my rearend (with 2" block) is still almost two inches higher than the front. I haven't put the 1.5 in yet... just waiting till I have more time. Plus I may be having to get an Auto because of a knee replacement. Yup and I'm only 33! fun fun

Last edited by Ramasaur; 01-30-2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Need to learn how to spell!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 AM

If you want bigger tires that look bad heres the way to go, I did this on my dually and they fit perfect with only a 2" leveling kit up front
http://www.chromewheel.com/gallerypa...04dodge225.htm
Old 01-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Nice truck Daytripper . It looks like those tires would rub just turning up my driveway .

It looks nice, but I need the ability to air way down to go off road with my camper and trailer in the sand. With 22.5's, you can't effectively air down.

Ramasaur, I thought it was 2.5", but you are right. By the time, I put all my tools in the back it will turn into a 4" leveling spacer .

Yea, I know what you mean about being broken down at 33. To many motocross accidents has left me banged up at 38. Broke everything but my knees . Actually I did break my knee cap but that healed pretty good.

.....Jim
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Jim, If you want to properly run big tires you have a couple of legal choices. Spacers are not DOT approved and are not stamped legal...so if you have assets to lose I wouldn't tow with them...have an accident tire related and you are toast. Get a set of aftermarket dually rims that have the spacing and rim width to properly handle the chosen tire. If you are looking for the tallest tires go with 19.5 forged aluminum ...there are now lots on the market at resonable prices get a 245 or 265 width and 80 or 85 profile and you will be 35" or over yet still have a reasonable width and the tire will last for 100,000 miles or more. ks

Quick Reply: Questions for guys with big tires on duallys.