3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question on whoever has the MOPAR soft snapless tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on whoever has the MOPAR soft snapless tonneau cover

ok, who ever has the soft fabric snapless tonneau cover from MOPAR, how many rails are there? 2 on the side and 1 in the front? Thats what I think it should be but what about the 1 rail in the back where the tailgate is? Should there be one there? It doesnt make sense on why there woulnnt be a rail in the back, wouldnt the cover just flap around but then again it would kind of akward having a rail on top of the tailgate, b/c when you would open the tailgate, the rail would just fall or it would be in the way. Someone please tell me of what exactly there should be, TIA
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my LeBra had a full frame (both sides & front & rear)

it was fully water tight.

and had 3 bows across it.

the lip is just a flat peice of plastic on the cover, that lays flat against the cover,
and the frame has a groove in it that is parallell to the cover & facing the outside.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 AM

Viking,

I have the mopar unit that's made with the fabric (vice the vinyl), but they're both the same. The cover itself is attached to the front rail that runs just behind the cap. The two side rails are clamped independently to the bed, and the rail that goes over the tailgate slides into the end of each of the side rails and has a thumbscrew on the inside that tightens the rear rail to the side rails. The rear rail is plenty stiff enough that it just "bridges" across the tailgate opening when you lower the gate. In other words, it's being supported on the ends by being slid into the side rails and resting on the tail end of the bed sides. The bottom of the rear rail has a lipped seal that the top of the tailgate rides against to seal out water. To remove, you peel back the tonneau, unscrew the thumbscrews on either side, and slide the rear rail out of the side rails.

Anyway, hope that's not too confusing... lol

John
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by banshee
Viking,

I have the mopar unit that's made with the fabric (vice the vinyl), but they're both the same. The cover itself is attached to the front rail that runs just behind the cap. The two side rails are clamped independently to the bed, and the rail that goes over the tailgate slides into the end of each of the side rails and has a thumbscrew on the inside that tightens the rear rail to the side rails. The rear rail is plenty stiff enough that it just "bridges" across the tailgate opening when you lower the gate. In other words, it's being supported on the ends by being slid into the side rails and resting on the tail end of the bed sides. The bottom of the rear rail has a lipped seal that the top of the tailgate rides against to seal out water. To remove, you peel back the tonneau, unscrew the thumbscrews on either side, and slide the rear rail out of the side rails.

Anyway, hope that's not too confusing... lol

John
so just to make sure, it should only have a total of 3 rails, correct?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 PM

There are 3 rails that clamp onto the bed (front and 2 sides). The tailgate rail sides into each side rail and is held in with a thumbscrew on either side. The cover is attached to the front rail and only attaches to the side and tailgate rails via the Jrail on the cover. There are only 3 bows that run across the bed and they slide into each of the side rails.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by banshee
There are 3 rails that clamp onto the bed (front and 2 sides). The tailgate rail sides into each side rail and is held in with a thumbscrew on either side. The cover is attached to the front rail and only attaches to the side and tailgate rails via the Jrail on the cover. There are only 3 bows that run across the bed and they slide into each of the side rails.
ok, well what I am missing is (2) bows and the clamps. I have:

(2) side rails
(1) Front rail (by the bad)
(2) Plastic Corner pcs
(1) bow
(1) cover

I am missing (6) clamps and (2) bows, any place to get he clamps from? Also, what would happen if I were just to use (1) bow? Otherwise, where can I get somthing in a shape of a bow or somthing that would also be able to work?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 AM

well, banshee's post was good data...sorry mine was lame.

i called the company who made mine, and they sent me all the loose parts I needed.

does it not have a label on it of who made it?

GOOGLE tonneau & see what brand it looks like.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
well, banshee's post was good data...sorry mine was lame.

i called the company who made mine, and they sent me all the loose parts I needed.

does it not have a label on it of who made it?

GOOGLE tonneau & see what brand it looks like.
its MOPAR, says it on the cover and all the MISC pieces. The dealer wants CRAZY prices for all these individial pcs
Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 AM

You can find them pretty cheap on ebay sometimes....
Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM

I'd google it, and see what manufacturer has the same internals & looks same, and call them.

how i found parts for my cover after i bought it used, they charged ~$7 each for clamps.