3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

question regarding new sticks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question regarding new sticks

OK I know, this injector stuff has been beat to death and there are TONS of threads - I HAVE been reading them, believe me when I say I am NOW a little confused, so I thought I would ask you all about them a little more specifically explaining the usage of the truck.

I have a friend with a 2007 5.9 6-speed that needs injectors. She pulls a 32' GN horse trailer, probably somewhere around a 15-18K load, she has had 3 seperate injectors replaced at the dealership. Right now she has 90K miles on her truck and wants to be done with the replacement game and maybe pick up a little hp at the same time. She is located in Texas, drives in the heat, mountains, etc - been all over the place in all kinds of climate and driving conditions.

SO - for those of you who haul REAL HEAVY all the time, what would you recommend? And please suggest who to get them from - maybe some of your experiences.

I am going to e-mail her the link to this topic, maybe she will join the site, but I know she will be reading this thread and probably all the threads regarding sticks until she gets confused out of her mind and decides to go a cab up - she is also considering that possibility - Freightliner I think.

TIA - CD

on edit - by the way, I was thinking Don M's Flux 2's and a Smarty might just do the trick. She's about out of warranty, so the programmer would be timely for some power gainsw as well.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM

I think F1's would be a better choice. I have the F1.8's and I have tons of fuel. A buddy just used my truck to haul a empty 14' trailer over the mountains to denver, loaded it up and came back. He got about 11 MPG. Not sure why, I get about 25 MPG empty
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
I think F1's would be a better choice. I have the F1.8's and I have tons of fuel. A buddy just used my truck to haul a empty 14' trailer over the mountains to denver, loaded it up and came back. He got about 11 MPG. Not sure why, I get about 25 MPG empty
He was probably over enjoying the power...huh?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Towing that heavy I would stay with smaller stix due to heat issues. Think 50's or 75's max. I would personally sick with 50's. Bigger than that and she'll have to use a lot of water to keep things cool enough. You can get more than enough fueling otherwise just using smarty...

If she is already having issues with the injectors, send them to be rebuilt by F1 while tips are installed.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If her truck is bone stock I wouldn't go any bigger than a 50hp set(F1 flux1's).I would even consider the mileage injectors Don sells.Flux 2 and larger will require addditional upgrades to keep up with the fueling,like a turbo,trans work,clutch,lift pump and so on.I ran Flux1's for a year and loved the added power and towed with them with no excessive egt's.So my vote goes to flux1's.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
wap

Originally Posted by homewrecker
If her truck is bone stock I wouldn't go any bigger than a 50hp set(F1 flux1's).I would even consider the mileage injectors Don sells.Flux 2 and larger will require addditional upgrades to keep up with the fueling,like a turbo,trans work,clutch,lift pump and so on.I ran Flux1's for a year and loved the added power and towed with them with no excessive egt's.So my vote goes to flux1's.
I think I may have asked you before but dont remember the answer so if this is a repeat, sorry.

How much differance did you notice goin from the flux 1s to the 2s? In power, milage, egts, etc, etc.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM

If she has stock electronics F1 if she has a programmer or chip Dons MPG stix
Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
wap

I may have missed it in the post somewhere but if she is towing heavy and wants more fuel she really needs some guages before she does injectors. I would also say no bigger than the 1s, the 2s may be a bit much for that weight with an otherwise stock truck.

I havent towed with my 2.5s yet but egts havent changed much from the sockers, but they are underfueled, I need a cp3 before I know what they will really do.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Hey CD! Just saying howdy! Sorry to hear about the injector trouble with your friend. I will be watching this thread closely. roper