3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question for Leer 100XQ Topper Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Leer 100XQ Topper Owners...

Well I picked up my new Leer 100XQ topper today. Looks very nice on my truck. However I have a problem. The rear door does not seal completely. If you wouldn't mind could you check if your doors are sealing correctly? Here is how to check. Open the topper door and the tailgate. Shut the topper door. Stick your head under the door and look up between the door glass and the seal. If you see light to the outside it is not sealing correctly. Mine has lots of light on both sides! The glass and the seal do not have the same profile. Even if you push hard on the door it still does not seal completely. I am a little ticked about this. I am just curious if it is just my top or if they are all like this. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:55 PM

I just got my 100XL Today. I think that our doors are similar. THere is a latch on each side with two torx head screws on each latch. If you loosen them and move the latches back it should pull the door back against the seal. I had to adjust mine a little. If you don't have any luck take it back to your dealer, they should definitely make it right. I really like my new cap also but there were some small things that I didn't like on a $1500 cap. Mostly sloppy work like overspray where they glued the carpet on the inside and oversprayed through the screen onto the glass that I can't reach to clean, and some glue attaching hardware to the glass that was allowed to run after application. Overall I like the look of the cap and it is very nice just some sloppy workmanship for such a big ticket item.

Good luck,

Hondo
Old 01-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Re: Question for Leer 100XQ Topper Owners...

Originally posted by PapaPerk
Well I picked up my new Leer 100XQ topper today. Looks very nice on my truck. However I have a problem. The rear door does not seal completely. If you wouldn't mind could you check if your doors are sealing correctly? Here is how to check. Open the topper door and the tailgate. Shut the topper door. Stick your head under the door and look up between the door glass and the seal. If you see light to the outside it is not sealing correctly. Mine has lots of light on both sides! The glass and the seal do not have the same profile. Even if you push hard on the door it still does not seal completely. I am a little ticked about this. I am just curious if it is just my top or if they are all like this. Thanks for the help guys.
You can adjust the gap on the side seals of the Leer 100XQ rear window by adjusting the position of the metal strike bar where the latches catch. Open the rear window and look at the metal strike bars where the window latches catch on each side of the shell. The strike bars are attached to a metal plate that is held to the shell by two nuts. Remove these two nuts and the strike plate and you will see a combination of nuts and/or washers between the strike plate and shell. These nuts/washers serve as shims that adjust the distance between the rear window latches and the shell in the closed position. You can add or subtract shims as necessary. In your case the window doesn't meet flush with the seals on the shell so you should "add shims". This has the effect of moving the strike bar further into the shell which in turn pulls the rear window further into the shell when closed. Experiment with a combination of different thickness shims until you get the fit you want.

Also make sure to check all rear window clearances when the tailgate is closed. Sometimes the rear window touches the tailgate in the closed position keeping the rear window from closing any further on the sides regardless of the latch catch adjustment.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

Jonesboro...I looked at adjusting the striker bars. I was going to try this before I posted my question on the forum. I just tried adjusting the bars. Unfortunatly the bolts that attach to the striker bar are not equal length. One bolt is short. So basically right now it is adjust to pull the window into the topper as much as possible. However I have a huge gap at the door seal! I will speak with the Leer dealer tomorrow to see if he can get me a replacment part. Also I am having interferance at the tailgate with the topper door like you mentioned. I am going to shift the topper rearward a few millimeters and see if that helps that problem.

I like how the top looks. And the paint match is great. But I am not impressed with the quaility. Maybe the installers didn't know what they were doing. Still Leer needs to do better.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:29 AM

any one else seeing a gap? I know GaryC and T-7 Firefighter have the same top.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

any one else seeing a gap? I know GaryC and T-7 Firefighter have the same top.
sorry for the delay in responding papaperk,

when i had my camper shell on my 03 i had no problems with it sealing around the back glass. when they put it on the 05 i have a small gap at the bottom of the glass (drivers side) where it touches the tailgate. i haven't had time to adjust the latches to make it snug yet but like Jonesboro said i "believe" this will take care of my problem. if this doesn't work for you then i'm sure the dealer should be able to help.

britt

Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 AM

thanks for the feedback britt!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

thanks for the feedback britt!
not a problem!

britt

Old 02-01-2005, 11:26 AM

I like how the top looks. And the paint match is great. But I am not impressed with the quaility. Maybe the installers didn't know what they were doing. Still Leer needs to do better.
I think you are correct by suspecting that the installers didn't know what they were doing. With my Leer 100XQ I have found that moving it slightly side to side and forward or back can make a a big difference in whether or not the rear window can be adjusted to close correctly. I doubt that a typical installer would give much attention to this level of detail. If you have a rail cap on your tailgate this will also affect the rear window closure.

I have no "quality" problems with my shell nor recommendations for improving it. Maybe you got a lemon?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:21 PM

My main gripe with the 100XQ is that the contour of the rear glass doesn't match the tailgate. However I have not shift the top rearward yet. I may be able to improve it. But I will be increasing the gap between the cab and the top. And I am not happy about that. Oh well I will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:01 PM

I got the same exact top the day before you did Papaperk, what were you doing in the bed with tailgate open and the glass closed? Because of your post , I went and checked mine and on one side there is a little gap. I'll adjust the latch when I get a chance. Other than that mine is perfect.

I told my wife I was going to pick up my camper top and she called me a hillbilly. I had to explain that It wouldn't have a kitchen and bathroom in it. When I got home all she had to say was, "OH that looks better than I thought".
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Okay guys I am at my last straw. As I mentioned before the bolt that adjust the latch was too short on the R.H. side. The bolt is part of an assembly that attaches to the fiberglass top. The dealer gave me a new bolt assembly. But guess what...today I took it apart and there is nothing wrong with the bolt assembly. It is the topper! The fiberglass in the lower righthand corner is too thick which reduces the adjustment on the topper door. I know all this sounds confusing. But just trust me...this top is messed up bad! When I first saw it at the dealer after it arrived from Leer I noticed that the seal that contacts the tailgate had two holes in it! These holes are exactly where the top rubs the tailgate! I believe my topper has been on someone else's truck. Leer knew the topper had problems when they shipped it to me. And that is what really ticks me off! I have alot of experiance with fitting parts and vehicle fittment in general. So I am not just a crackpot on a rant session. I am an above average crackpot on a rant session!

Anyway I am going to the dealer tomorrow. I will call Leer first and discuss with them. I feel they owe me a new top. The dealer said they could send it back but I would get the same one back after they repaired. I want a new one. No excuses. I honestly wish I had looked into A.R.E. more. But they may have had problems too. You guys may want to check your tops for water leaks. My carpeting in mine is soaked near the rear glass.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 PM

PapaPerk,

I understand what you are saying and I agree that there is something wrong with your shell. It sounds like they may have given you one with a manufacturer's defect that didn't work out for someone else. When you get back to your dealer don't take no for an answer.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM

I'd be mad too Papa. My top has those exact two holes in the seals near the latches. I thought there were screws behind them to hold the seal to the top? I didn't look that closely.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 PM

gatf4....

those seals have rivets shot through them. The seal I am talking about is on the topper door...the seal that touches the tailgate. Right in the middle of the seal under the door handle there is two holes that have been worn into the seal. This just happens to be where the door strikes the tailgate the hardest. I still think my truck is not my topper's first.