3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question about PSM's intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about PSM's intake?

After reading some posts about making your own homemade style PSM intake, and looking at PSM's pictures I decided to stop at Lowe's last night and pick up the materials,(for about $10.00, compared to their $100.00)

But after thinking about it I realized that water could get sucked up into the filter area and I was wondering what PSM or anybody else has done to stop that, or is water not a problem?

Hopefully someone with an origanal PSM can chime in.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the OEM air intake location from the fender? If anything the stock location would suck up water also,wouldn't it?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM

no problem with water at all, my intake is homemade from lowes and is about 18" below the stock intake, I used a toilet bowel flange/4"pvc/and a joint to hook the two. One thing I would do different is use a rubber joint to hook the two instead of the abs one. I had to cut a slash in the end of the pipe to get around the wheel liner where had it been flexible it would have fit perfectly.
when resistance gets to be too much from the down spout, it will suck from the fender instead don't worry about it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 PM

No problems with my PSM. The only thing I added was some screen to keep the bugs out but I've never seen water or any snow accumulation.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 PM

I have the $100 PSM, would do it again...that being said, i did manage to get a touch of water on my filter....but it was abnormal circumstances....

Here in phoenix when it rains, the streets flood quite easily...i did a test....basically approx 1 mile of puddle thrashing at 50mph....over and over....6"+ puddles....did manage to get a bit of water on the filter....

Drive like a normal person and i wouldnt be concerned.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 AM

No problems with my PSM. The only thing I added was some screen to keep the bugs out but I've never seen water or any snow accumulation
Yeah, I plan on adding a screen. Just gotta find one that I like.

I have the $100 PSM, would do it again...that being said, i did manage to get a touch of water on my filter....but it was abnormal circumstances....

Here in phoenix when it rains, the streets flood quite easily...i did a test....basically approx 1 mile of puddle thrashing at 50mph....over and over....6"+ puddles....did manage to get a bit of water on the filter....

Drive like a normal person and i wouldnt be concerned.
If you don't mind me asking. Why is it so good that you'd do it again? Lower EGT's? More power?
I still plan on doing it, I'm just curious as to what the total benefits are.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by KelschKid
If you don't mind me asking. Why is it so good that you'd do it again? Lower EGT's? More power?
I still plan on doing it, I'm just curious as to what the total benefits are.
There's nothing drastic (but a few HP isnt really noticable when your on beta 4.4 level 9), i'm a big beliver in not ingesting hot engine air like some of the systems do....slight decrease in EGT's, no SOTP power diff in general, but helped some during the very hot summers here in Phoenix....think when i add an aftermarket turbo, it'll be the min necessary....

It's cheap, ensures your getting the air you need, recommended by one of the turbo vendors (II or HTT, cant remember, but it's on their website)...

Hope that helps....dont expect miracles for $20 or $100....
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"If you don't mind me asking. Why is it so good that you'd do it again? Lower EGT's? More power?
I still plan on doing it, I'm just curious as to what the total benefits are."

Count on lower air restriction, slightly lower EGT's due to cooler air. Not necessarily more HP (from dyno results) but the HP put to the ground stays close to the same. This vs any open to the engine compartment system.....