3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question about my new lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much is a full replacement run?

and what are the best springs to buy?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
they are not cheap. is there a spring company near you? I have had mine for over a year and nearly 30k miles and not had a problem. in truth, 4 wheel parts actually stacked the blocks on mine!! i thought they were crazy but they said that they would cover it if something happens. I plan on a kelderman kit next winter so i will run them til then.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM

not that i know of..i havent really looked for a spring company.

i bought my lift off 4wheelparts.com

im kind of questioning how well my lift was put on too
tomorrow im going to put up pictures of everything that was done to see if it was done right
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigGameJames
so the lift blocks there is basically a body lift and not really suspension?

would adding more leaf springs make it way softer than it is now with those blocks on it?

Like others have said, the lift blocks pictured are not a body lift, that is part of the suspension lift. Body lift will do just that, lift the body off the frame with spacers.

Just adding spring leaves will most likely make the ride more harsh. You would really need a new leaf pack that was engineered for the weight rating of your truck and the amount of lift you have. Most better leaf packs will have multiple thinner leaves (10 or so as opposed to the stock 4 or 5) to maintain the load rating yet give a more supple ride.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM

so how much better are we talking?
enough to buy the new springs or should i just stick it out

i do want to do a little off roading every now and then, especially when i take my bike out to the desert
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if he really wanted to (and had the $$$) how come a guy can't just buy a set of dual purpose leaf's (1-1.5" lift) from say Carli and then get a set of Thuren Fab's extended shackles (1.5" lift) and use the factory lift blocks (~1" lift)? That would net about 4" of lift which is what Superlift's blocks are, correct?

That might be a totally crazy idea, but like I said, I'm just thinking out of my head.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM

Alot of trucks out there with blocks, and they should work. If the ride quality is something you can live with, leave them in. Just don't ever stack a lift block on another lift block. When your offroad (and at a stop light) just remember that the torque of the diesel will put more leverage on those springs because of the blocks and cause axle wrap, its going to be a learning curve now that the characteristics of your truck were altered, take some time to get used to it.

Great looking rig by the way.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
I'm just thinking out loud here, but if he really wanted to (and had the $$$) how come a guy can't just buy a set of dual purpose leaf's (1-1.5" lift) from say Carli and then get a set of Thuren Fab's extended shackles (1.5" lift) and use the factory lift blocks (~1" lift)? That would net about 4" of lift which is what Superlift's blocks are, correct?

That might be a totally crazy idea, but like I said, I'm just thinking out of my head.

That just might work, would cost some coin. Probably relative to having custom spring packs made though.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
That just might work, would cost some coin. Probably relative to having custom spring packs made though.
That's true. It would probably be easier to just have some made by National or another reputable spring company.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM

what excatly is axle wrap?

sorry this is my first car so i dont know all the terms
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM

National Spring's site list 6" springs @ $695.00; that might be a solution for you.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM

just saw this on national spring's website

0"-6" (pair) $695.00

is that the right size?

if i were to buy new leaf springs i think i would kind of want the front to sit a little higher than the back...kinda pre-runner style

or should i just keep it level?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM

what excatly is axle wrap?

sorry this is my first car so i dont know all the terms
Essentially it is just the axle twisting the springs. The taller the block, the worse the effect.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM

oh also i still have my old bilstein 5100's from my leveling kit

could i use those anywhere?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 PM

just saw this on national spring's website

0"-6" (pair) $695.00

is that the right size?

if i were to buy new leaf springs i think i would kind of want the front to sit a little higher than the back...kinda pre-runner style

or should i just keep it level?
Personally, I would keep the back a tad higher than the front. That way when I tow my quads, bikes, jet-skis, or whatever the truck won't squat so bad. If you just level it, it will still squat when you put a slight load in it or on the bumper. If the front already sits higher, the truck is gonna squat bad.

Quick Reply: Question about my new lift