3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Question About 4" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question About 4" Exhaust

I have been wanting to get a new exhaust for my '03 for some time now. I want something that sounds good and doesn't hurt performance.

I've looked at the DPPI system and several others. I like a lot of them but the high costs make it kind of hard to justify.

As you know, the pipe from the muffler back on the '03 is a 4" pipe. I'm considering going to my local muffler shop and having them remove the muffler and the 3-1/2" pipe between the turbo and the muffler and installing a 4" straight pipe from the turbo to the existing 4" pipe.

My questions are:

1) How would this sound?
2) How loud do you think it would be on the '03 trucks?
3) What would it do performance wise?
4) What do you a think is a fair price for having this done?

If I had a big dually I'd wait and get a set of stacks when I could afford them, but stacks wouldn't look very good on my truck now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liken my wife's DPPInc's 4" exhaust sound to a big block dual exhaust when the throttle is being pushed towards the radiator. It rumbles and growls, but not obnoxiously. It sounds good idling too. A deeper bass note, less tinny....if you understand that.

Worth it? I dunno. To be honest, around $500 is silly to pay to abuse yourself installing it and taking off the stocker. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't do it again. I'd stick with changing the muffler and putting a cool tip on there, that's it. I'd save the money.

The throttle more touchy and the turbo spools up quicker with the exhaust. Minimal performance gain with the hp/tq as much as I can tell. No seat of the pants feel gain.

I would guess $200 for a muffler, tip, and install would be a fair price. Of course I would hold out for $180!

There is the drone at 2200 rpm that drives me nuts. Although, I don't often drive at 80 mph, so I guess it'll be okay.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the DPPI system and I'm sure it sounds good, but $800 for a single 4" stainless exhaust system seems ridiculously high to me. I'm thinking I can get my local muffler shop to yank the muffler and the existing 3-1/2" pipe and replace it with a 4" pipe for much cheaper than that.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Hoss,

I have the DPPI system in T-409 stainless and I really love the sound of it. The T-304 stainless is more expensive but I got my T-409 for just under $500 including the tip. It is also extremely easy to install. The hardest part was taking off the turbo band clamp to install the downpipe.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:29 PM
jt

Good luck getting your local muffler shop to mandrel bend some high quality stainless. The system from DPPI fits perfect, the tips are just angled down the right amount. You can probably install it in your driveway with little help. save some of the labour money and put it towards the system.
oh, and it sounds wild.

James
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 PM

Banks Monster Exhaust

You might also at least take a look at the Banks exhaust. Banks has a down pipe that is true 4" and replaces the cast elbow on the turbo. This helps because the stock cast elbow necks down to 3-1/2" as it makes the transition and is very rough inside, so the Banks DP does have some performance value that others do not. Also Banks new muffler incorporates an expansion area near the inlet to avoid any drone and provide a nice deep exhaust note.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:12 PM

I'm running straight pipe and a 5 inch stainless tip for now. The truck sounds perfect to me. Its not load with windows up.(I live in Wisconsin) When its get warmer out and the windows are down the sound is definitely louder. Total cost from muffler shop was about 150. Just my 2 cents.