3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question

how come nobody runs banks products. it may be adumb question but i just had to ask it. are the other programmers just more bad Edit or what.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get a lot more bang for your buck with other products. I refuse to pay for something just because of a name put on it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the products other than being high priced compared to other units offering comparable horsepower.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vzdude
You can get a lot more bang for your buck with other products. I refuse to pay for something just because of a name put on it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the products other than being high priced compared to other units offering comparable horsepower.
Well said!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM

I run Banks but only a Cat back pipe and air cleaner and High ram.....
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 PM

ok my buddy nick went out and bought a banks PDA and dynoed it in bowling green at TS performace this past may and he only did 372 HP to the rear wheels. there are other programers out there that are cheaper and can you get alot higher HP numbers.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM

you know about them because they dedicate a lot of their business to advertising. most diesel mags I read have at least 3 or 4 full page ads, dedicated to Dodge, Ford, and Chevy.

their products are overpriced, in my opinion, and better products can be bought with some research, and will blow Banks out of the water

just my opinion
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 AM

In the programer dept I think your right .....
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as the programmers/modules go (and ok guys give me a break because it is still on the truck) Banks makes a good product but it is way overpriced. they have to pay for all that ad space and R&D they do. The one thing I will give them credit for is the safety features. We can all go out and buy a different product that produces a ton of power- for less money- and then tear the truck up in a heartbeat. We folks that choose to do that have to take on that responsibility. Banks just makes their stuff in such a way that you would really have to go out of your way flogging a truck to hurt it. For instance with the six-gun... get to 1300* egt it defuels... tranny starts to slip 5% it defuels... put key in ignition it defuels, stack it with my smarty, it defuels (OK so that last one is my own fault!)
Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
put key in ignition it defuels

Thats too funny
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
put key in ignition it defuels

Thats too funny
I ought to be an ad man for Banks... I can see it now...

"No power is safe power"!! "Get the BIG HOSS BUNDLE!" "The more you spend the less it goes!--The Ultimate in SAFE POWER"

What do y'all think??
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 PM

does the edge programmer make good power and where can you get the infamous smarty programmer and what is the typical retail does the smarty have any safety features to keep me from tearing my truck up
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you would like to support DTR, buy your smarty from LaryEllis at the DTR store. he is a great guy and good service is his middle name. the price is well worth it.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You can get the smarty right here under "shop DTR". Best price and a candy bar too. You'll get differing opinions on "good power" and everyone here has their personal favorite. I am biased toward the smarty... as you can see. There are others that prefer Bully Dog stuff... TST... QUAD... the list goes on. I think all are quality products. Even the Banks I am making fun of. Then there is cust. service. QUAD and Smarty give a lot of service right here. I am not sure of the others.. and Banks does not. Any power adder has the ability to tear up your truck if you abuse it. It is just my opinion that Banks is "safest", but in general speaking terms, the less power made-- the more "safe" it is. And the reverse is true... the more power made the less safe it is. Some of the built in "safeties" inhibit performace... so some have them some do not. There are some that you can custom program to defuel at a certain rpm or egt level. Do some research and learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each product before you decide. Then I would decide based on what is important for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by billdozer
does the edge programmer make good power and where can you get the infamous smarty programmer and what is the typical retail does the smarty have any safety features to keep me from tearing my truck up
Smarty is available from right here at DTR, get ahold of Lary.

vzdude has a good explanation of Banks... you pay for the name mostly.. but another complaint many have, which is the most important, is bad customer service... I can accept paying more if the customer service is outstanding, but many have complained of bad cs with Banks. But, I will be the first to admit, I have no first hand experience with them, just hearsay...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM

thanks for the good info

Quick Reply: question