3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Quadzilla Xzt Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadzilla Xzt Box

HI
I installed a Quadzills xzt box and it added the hp and Tq like advertized BUT when cruising on a slight uphill grade at about 75mph-85mph the feels like its missing. I by passed the box and my miss went away so I contacted Quadzilla talked to the Tech. He tould me that they had no problems with the newer boxes SO anyone else out there having this problem and if so what was the fix?. Iam sending the box in by mail so they can check it.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than the miss how well do you like the tuner. I am seriously looking at one for my 2004.5 2500. Towing a 9800 5er with my 4x4 and need a little more juice. also looking at how it will effect millage. Per Quadzilla it should increase millage. How did you do for the time you had the box running. Feel free to e-mail me a private answer if you feel OK doing that.

donhov@modempool.com
Old 07-15-2005, 11:18 PM

I got my Quadzilla Xzt Box back in April, for a noticable power and performance increase (65 hp) its perfect. As for milage i'm not seeing any difference. My overhead odometer shows to be about 18-19mpg with it in, with it out it shows 15-16mpg. When i hand calculate it, it comes out to 15-16mpg. I notice mine missing sometimes when i drive it into the garage, but i don't think its a issue yet.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Quad vs EZ

Anyone here also try the EZ to compare?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:58 AM

3500 miles on my XZT, and it hasn't skipped a beat.
Love the module.
DK
Old 07-16-2005, 12:37 PM

for any SO guys how has this box helped when towing hills? my truck is a dog on hills, i lose speed FAST. i need somthing to maintain the 65-70 mph up hills. also is this a kind of kick in the seat type power from the get go? or do you feel it more top end? thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 12:34 AM

Re: Quadzilla Xzt Box

Originally posted by wdbates
HI
I installed a Quadzills xzt box and it added the hp and Tq like advertized BUT when cruising on a slight uphill grade at about 75mph-85mph the feels like its missing. I by passed the box and my miss went away so I contacted Quadzilla talked to the Tech. He tould me that they had no problems with the newer boxes SO anyone else out there having this problem and if so what was the fix?. Iam sending the box in by mail so they can check it.
Make sure its a miss. Can you feel it or do you just hear something different? I know we do some tricky stuff with boost and timing when under a load. I am not saying it is not an issue, just make sure there is miss. The engine should feel rough, not just sound different.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 AM

Horsehauler, the power comes on nice and smooth and you won't lose that speed on hills. The EZ makes about the same power as the 60 or 65hp Quad but the power all seems to come on at the higher end. My truck towed fine with it also and I usually ran it on level 4 if I was towing or not.. I'd at least get the 100hp box so you get the in-cab adjustability. It's sweet!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 AM

Qzilla
Its deffinately missing, and its diffinately the box as I bypass it with the pigtail and test it and the missing (or bucking) is gone. This problem is very pronounced at 70-80mph speeds at slight acceleration on inclines. Sets no light and no codes.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 AM

I have about 4k miles on the XZT box with no problems at all. Our 5th wheel is about 10k loaded and on a recent trip of about 900 miles I averaged bwteen 11 and 12 mpg. I am getting 18 mpg hand calculated on my daily 80 mile commute to work and back. Needless to say I am very happy with the XZT.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 PM

how are the auto trannys holding up with these box's??
with my old 2000 2500 i blew the converter on it?? i was thinking about getting one for my 05..
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by wdbates
Qzilla
Its deffinately missing, and its diffinately the box as I bypass it with the pigtail and test it and the missing (or bucking) is gone. This problem is very pronounced at 70-80mph speeds at slight acceleration on inclines. Sets no light and no codes.
I am getting the same thing. Part throttle light load misfire around 1900, 1600 rpm.
Just noticed this morning sitting at a redlight at idle it was doing it. Increased rpm to 900 and smooth as silk.

The unit does make nice power although
Old 07-18-2005, 11:11 AM

I have the miss also and a knocking sound. It aslo get so rough that it feels like it is going to cut off and twice it felt like it would not come out of cruse control when it was runing very rough. I had to stop and put the bypass in then it ran fine again.
I took my truck in to my dealer because I thought I might have a bad injector that was showing up with the XZT, but they did not find anything wrong. I have tried everything I can think of and the people at Quadzilla have tried all they can think of and we still have not been able to get it to work with my truck. What is so strange is that some trucks are having no problems at all, but others have the same problem. I hope Quad can find a solution.
I am very disapointed because I really wanted the XZT to help me with fuel mileage and towing my travel trailer.

Bill
Old 07-18-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by coalbucket
I am getting the same thing. Part throttle light load misfire around 1900, 1600 rpm.
Just noticed this morning sitting at a redlight at idle it was doing it. Increased rpm to 900 and smooth as silk.

The unit does make nice power although
At idle the 600's can have a change in idle. That is normal. At idle we are not doing anything but passing through. I think that in the summer with the A/C on you can just really tell when it cycles.

I am a little concerned if you have a problem at 1600rpm. We do not do a whole lot that low. Basically there is not way to hold an auto at that rpm and we under much throttle without it downshifting so we do not tweak too much at the lower revs.

I want you guys that have a "miss" to try something if you can. Go to an auto parts store and buy a cheap thing of dielectric grease. Put the grease in our female plugs and see if it goes away. Technically this should not help, but we have had a couple of people tell us that it did. If this fixes it we will just start putting it in all of the connectors before we ship them.

We have had some harness issues. They are not bad harnesses as the ohm out properly, but I think in certain instances the quality control on the wire we buy is just not that good. I really don't know how to fix that. We buy the best wire we can that is rated for 125 C which is automotive spec wire.

If the grease does not fix it, be sure to call tech and they will ship a new harness, or whatever you need to fix the issue.

I have 2 trucks that I can't seem to make work. One is a CEL (on this board) and one is Bill's truck. I have no idea why Bill's truck won't work with the box? We have tried everything we know how to try. Maybe one of the things we are working on will work for him?

Quad
Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM

I'm haveing the same problem. Just installed the box three days ago. It ran fine the first day. The second day it was idling real rough. The third day when I went to make a connor at slow speed it shut down, no power-steering! Started right up and was running rough. Unplugged and installed original wiring and everything worked fine. Has to be the box or the Quad wiring. I will try the dielectric grease and see what happens.

Art

Quick Reply: Quadzilla Xzt Box