3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Quadzilla Mileage Max Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quadzilla Mileage Max Installed

I ran across a Quadzilla Mileage Max box on the forums for a can't-pass-up price. I've been curious about the small mileage boxes. The box arrived today and I quickly hopped online to update it.

Quadzilla has three tunes available: MPG Factory, Boost Fooler, and MPG City

Since city mileage is the worse of the two averages and I daily drive city, I figured I'd start there. A big FYI if you use Windows 7, chances are you will not get the drivers to work. I fought with it for a while. I tried downloading Windows XP mode but it wouldn't take. I finally gave up and went to our abacus of a computer with the XP OS. That worked just fine.

Download and save the tunes so you can go back later and load the one you need. You can only run one tune at a time.

Install is listed at 10 minutes. It's pretty quick . Just takes a bit longer when you gotta hop down and dig in your tool drawers for velcro, or zip ties or the flashlight or alcohol or whatever After double checking connections, wire routing and clipping zip tie ends, I noted the odo, fuel level and overhead then went for a spin.

Upon start I saw no codes pop, so that was good. The truck actually started and sounded normal. That was good. The test drive around the neighborhood went smooth. And that was good. It's too early to say anything except the install is c orrect. I could say the truck ran smoother or was "mre driveabe" but I really can't say. That could all be in my head. One of te cons to running the City tune is the truck may be louder at low rpm. I didn't really notice much extra noise but I'll keep my ears open. I'm not running any kind of fuel additive so I might be acclimated to injector noise.

Anyway, just wanted to put out a Quad M3 thread reference. I"ll update back after some miles.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ran the city tune on my xzillaraider II, i dont think there is a difference in the city tunes for either box. it does add a little bit of power and whenever i would romp on it it would smoke quite a bit. It probably just increases timing.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Yeah I think you're right. In my searching and reading I saw one reference that the City tune is more timing compared to the Factory tune. I'm still searching for the thread. There was a number mentioned in there but I don't want t say it until I find it.

I am wanting to optimize my city mileage. That is the truck's weak spot. I have tried driving in T/H mode, then went back to OD, then toyed with T/H again. But I can't ever get consistent numbers from full tanks. I never seem to use a full tank on city only.

I'd like to see which drive option nets better mpg numbers. T/H or OD when used with the M3?

Edit:

Here is one of the links showing some results from the Factory and City tunes:

qzilla need help on Max Milage Mod by Ridgeman
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I remember when I had mine, was the city tune let you run a little higher RPM before it "kicks out". It is designed to give better results until you jump on it. As soon as you jump on it, your trucks normal programming takes over. It works best if you drive like an old person!
I ran mine with the city tune even though my driving is 80% highway. I did get a 1.5 to 2 MPG hand calculated increase.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Thumbs up

That echos what I've read so far.

Quads site
File Name: 325 MPG CITY
UPDATED: 01/08/2008
Models: DMPG0406
Software Version: 20090108
Feature Code Enabled: MPG_CITY

Features:

MPG File to help with mileage gains for city and stop and go driving
Could have slightly more timing noise at lower boost levels
Originally Posted by Ridgeman
(snip)
The "MPG CITY" is to "help with milage gains for city stop and go driving". When I talked with the tech he indicated that this program improved performance in the lower (up to 1700 rpm ) range, while the factory "MPG" setting kicked in at about 1700 rpms to improve performance.

If it works best driving like an old person for city, that bodes well for me You saw a pretty good increase! My OAA is 16.5mpg. So even a small increase in either city or highway mpgs will bump up the OAA. And I think my truck is near the limit for mpg expectations.

I realize folks have "been there, done that" on the Quad M3 but it's new to me. I figure I might as well throw my hat into the ring Bear with 'the new girl' yall

My starting point:

City tune & OD

I wish I had a computer reading everything that I could see charts on my laptop. I love numbers. I love to see the physiology, if you will. I'm fascinated with the human body (I'm a health and fitness major) and pulling numbers for exercise was so cool. I wish I could do it for everything

Edit:

Read this epic thread from 09-13-2007 when the M3 first came out, anyone tried the MILEAGE MAX module?.

My conclusion is the thread was about useless But looking at the trends then and compare to data and information available now, almost 4yrs later it does draw a picture.

On 03-26-2008 this thread x2 city and hiway milage tunes??.

Originally Posted by qzilla
Ok, the long and short is that once under power they are the same tuning.

The difference is that some felt that their driving style or driving areas were not letting them benefit from the regular mpg tuning. Some would get mileage on a highway trip but, around town they did not get the same gain.

So to help with this we started making our changes earlier in the rpm band. Anytime you alter timing you want to try to make certain you have boost psi to mask the "rattle". In this case we are not really able to do so because we are making the change extremely early to help with stop and go traffic, stop lights and very light throttle driving. If we wait for boost to come up at all the truck runs mostly stock as these people were literally driving the vehicles that easy.

You will notice as you ease into the pedal that the rattling sound sort of disappears. This is not because we stop it is because boost is coming up and quiets the motor down. It won't hurt anything and is slightly annoying to me if I drive with the a/c off and the radio off but, in normal driving it is really not noticable.
This verifies what Ridgeman says in his thread.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I did get a 1.5 to 2 MPG hand calculated increase.
That must be nice! I managed to get a whopping 0.3mpg average gain over 407 gallons of fuel. I also changed tunes a few times to see if my truck just didn't work with one of them and there was no appreciable difference at all. I've been meaning to sell it for a while, but now I'm wondering if I should stack it with the Smarty?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
That must be nice! I managed to get a whopping 0.3mpg average gain over 407 gallons of fuel. I also changed tunes a few times to see if my truck just didn't work with one of them and there was no appreciable difference at all. I've been meaning to sell it for a while, but now I'm wondering if I should stack it with the Smarty?

Well the Mileage Max depending on the tune will advance timing or boost fuel right? Sooo I'm thinking since the Smarty can adjust the timing so you won't need it for that. Not sure about boost fooling but if you're boost fooling then you aren't going for mileage... That's what I'm thinking but not totally certain.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

I have the x2 with the pod and from what they told me at quad is the city tune adds a little more down low but when you hit about 1600 rpms or 1900 can't remember, but the the fuel mileage mapping is the same as the standard mileage program. Just went back to the mileage tune on the quad from the smarty stacked just for the heck of it " A Lot Slower Now" Got 21.52- 611 miles and still had a little under 1/4 tank took 28.4 gal to fill.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by rammv
I have the x2 with the pod and from what they told me at quad is the city tune adds a little more down low but when you hit about 1600 rpms or 1900 can't remember, but the the fuel mileage mapping is the same as the standard mileage program. Just went back to the mileage tune on the quad from the smarty stacked just for the heck of it " A Lot Slower Now" Got 21.52- 611 miles and still had a little under 1/4 tank took 28.4 gal to fill.
Can you clarify what you are doing or did? I'm not sure I understand what you just said here. I have a Smarty JR PoD. And I have the MileageMax module but I have not use the quadzilla yet. Will they stack nicely and improve MPG well? and how about towing about 8k ish? Just looking to maximize things.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM

How much of a difference in MPG are you seeing running this mod, and is it justifyable for the price?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by F1B3R
How much of a difference in MPG are you seeing running this mod, and is it justifyable for the price?

I just installed it and I have not finished the tank yet. I'm just above 3/4tank with 150ish miles on it. I don't drive much since I work from home so it takes me a while

I paid well under the new price; bought it used from the forum classifieds so I have a small investment to make up compared to buying new. I'll keep the thread updated once I do go through tanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM

I just pulled a Quadzilla Max Mileage off my 2005 because I did not even know it was there and found it when I was installing a new brake controller. I already have a Smarty so if anyone wants the Quadzilla shoot me a PM. $80 shipped.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by zachv
I just pulled a Quadzilla Max Mileage off my 2005 because I did not even know it was there and found it when I was installing a new brake controller. I already have a Smarty so if anyone wants the Quadzilla shoot me a PM. $80 shipped.

You might get some good interest if you list this in the Classified section. The link is there are the top.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Decided to fill up since I saw diesel @ $3.69. I was at quarter tank on the dot w/423mls on trip so I was still an 1/8th more loaded than when I normally fill. Added 25.637gal per my normal routine.

Brings the math to 16.499mpg on this tank. It was mixed.

It's way to early to come to any conclusion about the M3. I will report subsequent tanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 PM

Filled up today- 463mls @ 29.42gals = 15.7mpg.

Ran the truck both conservatively and not for efficiency. Took off from stops at the speed of the other traffic (accelerating at 17-1900RPM instead of 15-1600). Lent my sis the truck for an evening so it got driven a little differently. Ran a few highway sections over 70mph (2kish). Stomped on it a bit.

OAA is 16.6mpg

Quick Reply: Quadzilla Mileage Max Installed