3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Quadzilla Commander Fuel Pressure Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quadzilla Commander Fuel Pressure Install Problem

Hi,

I just received a Quadzilla Commander and the optional fuel pressure sensor kit. The problem I am having is that I also have a Jacobs E-Brake and there is no room to install the low pressure sensor on top of the CP3. The vaccum pump for the E-Brake is within 1/2 " of the top of the banjo bolt.

Is there an alternate location for the sender? Could I put it on the banjo bolt on the bottom of the fuel fiter housing? It seems like the best location to sense the available pressure is between the fual filter and the CP3, but would it be almost as effective if I put it inline somewhere?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide! I'm learning a lot about my new truck (7K miles and loving it!)

Dale
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can put it inline anywhere you want but, you are probably going to have to do some work to get it done.

My first question/suggestion is to see if you could use some fittings to run out of the top of the banjo bolt to move the sensor to where you could install it. Like maybe a 90deg fitting and then an extension or something?

I am not aware of another easy spot to just throw the banjo bolt into at this time.

Quad
Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 AM

Hi Quad,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the 1/2" gap is with the old banjo bolt. The new one is taller and there is less clearance, maybe close to zero.

I'm pretty capable when it comes to fabricating things, but have no experience on this truck. I was thinking about cutting the steel line between the filter housing and the CP3, double flaring the cut ends and putting in a brake-style "T". However, I don't know if the lines are a standard O.D. so that standard double flare nuts will work. I'm also concerned about the weight of the sending unit and the vibration of that line causing metal fatigue.

The alternatives seem to be:
1) Place the sending unit in a "T" fitting, between the filter and CP3.
2) Place the sending unit in a "T" fitting before the filter.
3) Give up and drink a beer ;->>.

Has anyone had experience with putting a fuel sending unit inline in the fuel supply lines?

Any suggestions on what I should try? From reading this board, it seems like knowing you have low fuel pressure is a critical preventative step to avoiding CP3 failure due to lift punp failure.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont believe that the line from the filter housing to the cp3 is ALL metal. there is a piece of ruber connecting the two metal banjo fittings. i would think that you would be able to buy an adapter that you would be able to stick in the rubber section and run your pressure line. check out glacier diesel power. they have an adapter and even a installation of there kit which shows you what the lines look like.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the reply pooperscooper.

I'll take a look at Glacier Diesel.

It seems like there may be a possibilty of using the banjo bolt on the bottom of the filter housing to provide a 1/8 NPT connection. I'm not sure if these are sold anymore. There is also a nifty adapter that replaces the fuel filter top cover, but it is a little spendy for me (although it sure looks nice!). It also appears that the cover replacement may read on the lift pump side of the filter, but I have not verified this.

Quad, if you are still there - will this work? It means discarding the banjo your kit supplied for the CP3, but a hard mount might be best. Of course, there is the increased wieght and moment of your sensor on the filter housing. Could this work OK and would you reccomend this approach over the inline method?

Thanks for putting up with my many questions.
Dale
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM

I am patiently awaiting a valid solution to this as I have my fuel pressure kit sitting on my work bench, waiting to be installed........one thing I love more than my power is my Jake Brake!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Glacier Diesel has a tee fitting that they supply with their big line kit that can be used to monitor fuel pressure, but its sized for 3/8" fuel hose. I don't think it will work with the factory hose. You could always add the big line kit to your install. I think Richard has one that works for those of you with the exhaust brake compressor mounted above the CP3.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:31 AM

Hi Quad,

Any thoughts on using the fuel filter banjo bolt to mount the sening unit? Is this bolt the same as on the CP3 end.

The Glacier diesel T fitting won't work witout the 'Big line" kit, which I don't think I need.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 AM

I have a fass system as you can see from my sig, and I put my fuel pressure sending unit in the line just in front of the cp3,,with a T. Works good, not to giggly on the needle or anything.

Kevin