3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Quadzilla Commander: Anybody else have problems with buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadzilla Commander: Anybody else have problems with buttons?

I've searched through the forums here, and through the TDR, and have not found anyone else that has had any issues with the buttons on the Commander. I'm on my second one now (first one replaced for the LCD, not due to buttons). I find the buttons all but impossible to use while driving, and difficult when parked. As of now, I cant get the 2nd and 4th ones to function at all. I'm just trying to get a reality check on my problems, to see if any one else is experiencing these issues (maybe I shoulda done a poll). They've given me great service, but I'm about to think that there is some kind of bad luck time warp going on with me and Quad products.

(Quad, your box is full, I tried pm'ng you)
Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 PM

They are a bit hard to push in because they are recessed just enough to not get my fingers on them.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:02 PM

I had the same problem in the beginning. Quad was quick to send me a new box and now the buttons are much easier to push. Just call them and have them test the actual box they are going to send you, thats what I did, and it worked out. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 AM

There was a post someone on here where Quad said they changed the resistance in the buttons, so they pushed easier.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM

They are still recessed just enough to make it difficult to push while driving.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM

We probably shouldn't be messing with it while driving anyway.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
We probably shouldn't be messing with it while driving anyway.
? Why is that? In cab, on the fly adjustment is why I purchased the Quad set up. As long as a person pays attention to the road, shouldnt be any different that changing a radio station while driving.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JThiessen
? Why is that? In cab, on the fly adjustment is why I purchased the Quad set up. As long as a person pays attention to the road, shouldnt be any different that changing a radio station while driving.
Just my opinion, that's all. I'll wait to make adjustments until I'm stopped at a light.

I can change my radio station without talking my eyes off the road.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:58 PM

I think if they ever get that pillar mount done, I will be satisfied. That's one of the reasons I have trouble adjusting it. I have it taped to my dashmat which is just sitting there.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM

Quad told me that the there was some kind of residue that got on to the contacts inside the unit. They said to take it apart and wipe the contact area with alcohol, which I did and it woeked for a while. Just this weekend I was messing with it and it does not work again. I will try to clean it again and see if it works again.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM

There is a post about this somewhere, I did not have time to go look for it.

Some of the earlier models have a resistor value on them that is too tight on the tolerances for some of the buttons. What happens is that they might work perfect until a certain number of button pushes and then as the carbon pill gets wore in the resistance changes. It does not go bad we just hold too tight of a tolerance to see it as a button push. This is a simple fix and those that sent them in should have had it fixed or got a new one that did not have a problem.

So it should be an easy fix. What I don't understand is if Jtheissen jsut got one back why it has the issue. Right this moment I do not have access to see why or what happened?? Tomorrow I will check and see what got sent out and try to figure out why you have an issue?

Also just for the record the button should be easy to operate. You should not really have to mash it in the indentions to get it to work. It should be easily used on the fly as well. As to whether or not you want to use it on the fly is totally up to you. I change mine all the time, more than I should but, I am also known as a sort of reckless driver!

I will get back to you in the morning and let you know what I came up with.

Quad
Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks for checking quad. Your help is much appreciated.

Just my opinion, that's all. I'll wait to make adjustments until I'm stopped at a light.
Thats fair enough.

I went out last night to see if the button thing was just with the 'zilla adjustment, by running through the menu screens. Alas, no. I was only able to scroll through in one direction, and the lower button didnt function at all.

On a good note, the new 'Zilla is working well. 4 days and no codes! I did manage to put my fiver hitch into the tailgate while on level three (it was sitting loose in the back after I hauled some dirt last weekend). Beauty mark!
I have noticed that with this "new" box, and new harness, it doesnt smoke near as much as it did with the old harness, and old "new" box.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 AM

ptgarcia, I am with you. I have a hard enough time dealing with traffic going down the road much less trying to change the settings on my Commander. I make any changes while I am sitting still.