3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Quad Race Stacked w/ BDPP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Race Stacked w/ BDPP??

I just recently got rid of my banks six gun, ended up buying a Quad race box a week or so ago, and now I just picked up a BDPP tonight! I put the BDPP on tow,and the Quad on lvl 3 (140). My question is, can my tranny handle this much, and what is the highest lvl I should run it at? Before installing it my max boost was 37psi, now Im getting 41psi max! What kinda hp do you guy's think Im getting now with the mods listed below?

What is the highes settings I can run safely? I want to know how far I can take it without hurting something?

Also, this was a spuratic buy on the BDPP, and is this a good stack??
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 PM

ive got that stack but with the standard box and crazy larry, and got a new clutch to day i wouldnt run it too high with out tranny mods
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boss,

Your tranny is not going to like you! You should do some upgrades. PM me if you are in the market for a local tranny guy.

Also, you should consider joining us at Sedalia for the get together the weekend of May 20th. Just check under the Regional/National chapter section on this website. Here is a link if you are interested in coming.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=98489
Old 04-29-2006, 08:48 AM

tranny?

So what kind of tranny upgrades will I need, I dont have the $ to drop on a full DTT tranny! What could I do that would make a good difference? Im thinking of a VB and TC, but someone told me that when you do that it puts more stress on other parts?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 AM

Oh and how do I get the crazy larry program on my Bdpp? Does it really produdce 230hp like people claim? Will that blow my truck up alone?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Texas CTD,

Ya, my Tranny hasnt liked me since the day we met!!.........Actually its been holding up pretty good so far. I just have the hp fever now!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:27 AM

u can down load the crazy larry of bds site, and its just 180hp the 230 setting is for duramax, atleast thats what there catolog says, i run mine both cranked up all the way, im not telling u to do that though, some people say i get a rush off of breaking stuff
Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boss,

It's your truck, so im not trying to tell you what to do with it. I just know I can't afford to have my truck down or tore up.

Your tranny may last a long time or it may crap out on you tomorrow. But that is alot of power to be pushing through the tranny. IF you can't afford to have your tranny built you may just want to hold back on some of the mods. If you call James at (972) 467-3702 he can definately answer any questions you have about trannies and what they will hold.

Remember too that you may want to do some fuel/lift pump upgrades too if you are going to push that kind of power. You will probably be starving the CP3 of fuel.

Also to much pressure from a fuel pressure box can damage the injectors.

Im not saying to not bomb your truck........I just believe in building it up to handle the power first unless you can afford for it to be down for repair. IT will probably cost more in the long run if you add power first then go back and fix what it broke. My 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:49 PM

BossHogg, When I first read this I thought you were kidding...apparently not. The Quad Race alone will slip the stock tranny. That is eventually going to take out your flexplate which will take out alot more. I assume you have gauges for EGT and tranny temp as you know your boost numbers. The stock 48re will handle 375hp at the rear wheels empty ....and not doing 10psi burnouts. IF you tow lower that by 25 hp for every 5000 pounds you tow. This isn't a scientific calculation but a good rule of thumb. Your stock truck is good for about 250 to 260 rwhp. So if you add 125 hp your at the limit for any semblance of durability. What is your ultimate hp and torque goal? If you want you tranny to last longer get a towing valve body versus a race or sledpuller valve body as the lockups will be softer and shifts less agressive. A good single disc converter will handle as much hp as you pay for. A triple disc will be harder on the rest of the tranny....shafts and frictions as it locks up harder. A valve body will increase fluid flow and line pressure so your tranny will have less chance of slipping. The torque converter will get that power to the ground. Your stock turbo will pop after a few +40psi weeks plus it is way out of its efficiency map which has 24psi at its centre and 34psi at its outside. Remember you are your own warranty station and the CP3 doesn't like to run dry and I think with these boxes your rail will have some low time without a boost in fuel supply from a Glacier or FASS lift pump and supply. ks
Old 04-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Dang! So Im about to ruin my tranny. I was thinking it came close to slipping with just the quad, today, I did get it to slip or what I think sounds like everything under my truck is being jack hammered! Also the 41 psi max sounds like it could cost me some $$, and I guess I do need a TC.

She's blowin a lota smoke though and rippin pretty good on quad lvl 3 and bdpp on tow!!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 PM

See guy's this is why I didnt want to get rid of my Banks!!! Im a junkie and once I get the itch....well.......!!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:38 PM

Oh and Im eventually trying for big numbers, but I cant afford for my truck to break!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
BossHogg, When I first read this I thought you were kidding...apparently not. The Quad Race alone will slip the stock tranny. That is eventually going to take out your flexplate which will take out alot more. I assume you have gauges for EGT and tranny temp as you know your boost numbers. The stock 48re will handle 375hp at the rear wheels empty ....and not doing 10psi burnouts. IF you tow lower that by 25 hp for every 5000 pounds you tow. This isn't a scientific calculation but a good rule of thumb. Your stock truck is good for about 250 to 260 rwhp. So if you add 125 hp your at the limit for any semblance of durability. What is your ultimate hp and torque goal? If you want you tranny to last longer get a towing valve body versus a race or sledpuller valve body as the lockups will be softer and shifts less agressive. A good single disc converter will handle as much hp as you pay for. A triple disc will be harder on the rest of the tranny....shafts and frictions as it locks up harder. A valve body will increase fluid flow and line pressure so your tranny will have less chance of slipping. The torque converter will get that power to the ground. Your stock turbo will pop after a few +40psi weeks plus it is way out of its efficiency map which has 24psi at its centre and 34psi at its outside. Remember you are your own warranty station and the CP3 doesn't like to run dry and I think with these boxes your rail will have some low time without a boost in fuel supply from a Glacier or FASS lift pump and supply. ks
'

what he said...you are on a course for disaster.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 AM

..........Well, even so, how much hp do you guy's think Im getting? Is 375 my max hp on my stock tranny??
Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by BossHogg
..........Well, even so, how much hp do you guy's think Im getting? Is 375 my max hp on my stock tranny??
with my powerpup on extreme, I dyno'd at 360 to the wheels on my 04.5

Quick Reply: Quad Race Stacked w/ BDPP??