3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

quad causing lifter rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quad causing lifter rattle

hey guys, Ive posted a few posts over the last few months, trying to resolve a clatter i get with my quad box installed, and have gotten a lot of great advice from you guys, the truck has been to dodge, and quadzilla, the truck did not clatter with the mods off, not much anyway, sounded pretty norm, and dodge said everything was fine, so I just pulled at my hair, and annoyed the heck outa quadzilla, Im sure, LOL ,I could hear them cringe every time I called LOL, but they were great help, so I have finally fixed the problem, after several months, It was the valve lash, I have 85,000 miles on the tuck, has been acting up at the start of the mods, so was doing it even at 50,000 miles, and reason I didnt do this before was , kept being told, dont need to adjust valves until 150,000 or so, also if its not doing it with out the mods, then it is a mods problem, well, guys, check your valve lash if you have any suspicion at all, mine, were way out on every rocker, and found the one #6 that was the farthest out and causing the scareist sounding one, I could never get fully into it, it is a fairly simple task, and wow, what a difference, I guess the stock truck just didnt demand enough power to make them clatter like it did with the mods, so guys just go ahead and check, you might be suprised, nd quadzilla, thank you for all your support, Ill be calling again, but dont cringe, its just to order the fuel pressure add on, LOL
Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

I cannot see where Quad caused lifter rattle. Maybe injector rattle from high fuel pressure or even timing rattle from stacking 2 chips that advance timing.

Anyway, I will agree with you on the valve lash. I checked mine at 20k and all were out of whack. All were loose, not tight. I set them to Cummins recommendations and it quieted down the engine a lot. I am about ready to check them again today. I thrashed the crap out of my engine yesterday and just want to poke around a little.

It is also a good idea to spin the pushrods when the tension is of of them and see if any wobble is felt. That will usually tell you if you have a bent pushrod. It is not 100%, the only way to tell that is to pull them and roll them on a flat surface.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:28 AM

dont mean to ask a dumb question but i have never done this befor, could someone tell me how to check valve lash? I guess the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mm73
dont mean to ask a dumb question but i have never done this befor, could someone tell me how to check valve lash? I guess the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Don't worry I was about to ask the same thing.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Cowboy, did it make the noise with the qaud off? Does the xzt have a bypass plug? If so did it to it with that in? Did it only stop with the quad completely disconnected. I think I am experiencing the same noise as you.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:14 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

You guys that want the Cummins manual pages on adjustment, shoot me a PM with your E-mail. I will see what I can do. I really dont want to get in trouble for posting copyrighted info.
P.S. it will be in HTML format and needs Explorer to view, if I was able to do it
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Yah i dont want anyone to get in trouble or anything like that, I didnt even think of that.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM

what it was doing was this, with the quad mod on, i would get the injector rattle, expected, but when i really put a demand on it, especially hauling my trailer, at highr speeds say 60 if i tried to give it more pedal, it would start clattering louder, and actually sounded like i could hear one rocker arm clattering worse than the others, I describe it like a lifter floating on my old 79 trans am i use to street race, i would let out of it before it threw something, with the mod set on 0, or stock, or with mod off, i never had the problem, i could floor it, which i had to do to make the hill with my trailer, I would hear a little rocker clatter, but nothing extreme or worrysome, also, the higher the setting on my quad, the easier the clatter would occur, it clatterd less at stage 1, but still would clatter and make the floating noise of one, but not stock, adjusting the valves seems to have fixed all the problem, they were way off, 1/4 to 1/2 turn on all of them, which is alot when adjusting them, its wasnt hard to do, there is a write up on 3rd gen no performance, forum, called adjusting valves, is where i got the how to, my 06 was a little different, but not enough to matter, the settings for valve lash are on the cover, and on the side plate of the engine, make sure to use those, they may be different from what the forum tells you, if you suspect it at all, its worth doing them just to be safe, have heard alot of guys say thiers needed it, well under the recommeneded