3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

quad box - how safe? total n00b here

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quad box - how safe? total n00b here

i've been debating on whether or not to bomb for quite some time now. getting wasted by a duramax had me leaning towards bombing, then my engine dumped 1/3 its oil and is now in the shop. that has me leaning towards not bobming. then i find out the 100k warranty deductible is $500! leaning the other way again. the new quad boxes are all the rage, i'm looking at the 30/60/100 version but would really like to wait until they've been proven. what is the relative risk to running it? what i'm asking is how likely are problems to occur, and what could go wrong? what will i need to do to my trans to handle 60 or 100 more hp? would the 30hp setting be safe for daily driving? i'm totally new to this and this truck has to last a long time. objective advice is appreciated.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 PM

Just curious but what happened to make your engine dump its oil?

As to the box, it seems to be pretty much given that if you add a box to your truck you could very well become your own warranty station. Some dealers are cool, some may not notice/check, others will void your warranty on the spot. You might try bringing the subject up to your service manager.

Im considering the same box as you and am also concerned about my tranny. On the second gens. it seemed anything more powerful than an EZ could cause a failure. However, it seems alot of guys are running these quad boxes w/ stock 48re's. I guess its a little early to tell. How you drive has alot to do w/ it as well.

Good luck, Im sure some other guys that have that box will chime in too
Jeff

edit: heres a 13 page thread all about the Xzillaraider, https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=63677
should answer alot of your questions
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM

I'm sure your stock trans could handle at least the 60 hp setting. You probably won't even hardly feel the 30 hp setting. If you run at the 100hp setting you may eventually notice the converter slipping and then it's time for a new one. The HP converters are expensive but well worth the money.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 PM

getting wasted by a duramax had me leaning towards bombing, then my engine dumped 1/3 its oil and is now in the shop. that has me leaning towards not bobming
You've answered your own question.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by quantrill88
Just curious but what happened to make your engine dump its oil?

beats me, it's spraying out the side. i created another thread on that.

i talked to the service writer who has been handling my repairs, he said if an unrelated engine or drivetrain problem occured it would be taken care of. eg. if i installed a box and then got another oil leak it would be fixed. however if i installed a box and then burned up the trans obviously it would not be covered. that or unless it was a major failure, he'd fix the problem once but not twice. good enough for me.