3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

quad box

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's so hard to believe? I drive very seldom with the cruise on (Yes makes a difference) have mods to aid in fuel economy; BHAF,4" exhaust & straight thru muffler,35" tires,Quad box set to 60. Just because you are not able to achieve these numbers does not mean I can't. Also a little tip for you guy's try to keep your boost below 10psi on the highway. One more thing keep your MAP sensor spotless!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 18.4 mpg on my last trip to Modesto and it is increasing all the time almost 12k miles now

Rick
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 AM

21-22mpg at 60-70 is totally reasonable. 26 seems a little more impossible to me at least..
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 AM

hilclmr's mileage was likely imperial gallons as well (20% larger gallon). My truck has from time to time gotten 24 mpg (imperial) at 75 mph if there is no headwind or perhaps a slight tailwind.

Relating to the quad box question. My mileage picked up 1.5 mpg towing with the quad box. I did have a harness problem and just replaced it. I'll know more about unloaded mileage soon.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 AM

hilclmr,

How about sharing your methods of maintaining a spotless map sensor and the rusults you have seen?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:52 AM

cq I've heard contact/glass lens cleaner and a lint free cloth is the only way to go, as far as cleaning those sensors. MAF's are a constantly failing item on VW tdi's, and I know at least guys in some instances were able to clean theirs and get more life out of it. Realistically though, if you are getting dirt on your MAP sensor you've got somethin wrong with your air filtration.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM

Mine has never had anything on it...

You made my whole point Lightman...why was it dirty to begin with?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 PM

You know CQ sometimes I'm a little slow on the take
Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Imperial gallons ,no. And it's not dirt on the sensor. Yes the speedo was recalibrated. But then I look @ your guys mods and you have the 140 box, maybe just maybe do you think that could be it? Really c'mon now,some one shares something with the group and a bunch of know it alls jump all over it. Think before you post
Old 06-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Well...what is on you MAP then hilclmr? I am just asking...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by hilclmr
22mpg-26mpg unloaded @70mph, 13-14mpg when puliing the 5th wheel
(9000lbs)
22mpg unloaded at 70mph is great and I'm sure it's attainable with a great running truck.. 26, I dont think so. I'm not basing that on my truck (by the way I run the 60hp setting too on all road trips), I'm basing it on reading this and tdr for years religiously. I just think 26mpg is unreachable at 70mph in a 4x4 3rd gen. How do you claim a 4 mpg variance at the same speed? Anything is possible , and if your truck does get 26mpg, it's something special to say the least because I dont think anyone else's can.

Calling us know-it-alls isn't gonna get you anywhere. Hmm where did I read that great phrase - oh yeah, think before you post!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:03 PM

Hi,

This is a bit off topic but, something i've been wondering about.

I have an '03, HO, 6-sp, 4X4, Magnaflow 4" muffler and AFE ProGuard-7 Air Intake System, B-D X-Monitor pyro & Boost. I've been thinking about a box and am a bit intrigued by the Quad X 100 standard box. My question is about the preasure this box incorporates and whether it is enough to do damage such as the higher preasure-only boxes.
I keep my trucks for a long time and really don't want anything that is going to create a big problem, down the road. The injectors, in the 3rd Gen's seem to be a little sensitive and susceptable to damage. I'd like something that is going to be relatively safe.

I, also, do a bit of towing (7000lb. travel trailer) in the mountains, out West. I'm not really interested in racing, either. Just a bit more power for towing and fun.

Thanks for your thoughts & opinions.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Muted User

FWIW - It's the IAT Sensor (Intake Air Tempature) that needs to be cleaned over time from soot getting on it. This is a common thing with an exhaust brake as the increased back pressure lets some exhaust get into the intake. Do a search on it, there is plenty of reading. I have never heard of ever cleaning a MAP sensor as there is nothing to clean. Maybe hilclmr meant the IAT. And quit busting his ***** about mileage, mid 20's is possible under the right conditions.

We have an 03 shop truck with a 250HP Motor/5 Speed/Regular Cab that averages about 25MPG. I dont think the 250HP motor is very common, most 03's are 235 or 305. We will see what it gets towing cross country as I am leaving tomarrow to make the trek from utah to indianopolis for the diesel nationals pulling a 5th wheel with a race truck. I'll bring back some nice pictures and video clips to share with you guys.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:52 AM

Did any one else notice that most people who say that there is no way you can get that good of mileage have 04,04.5 or 05 trucks and most people who say it is possible have 03 trucks. Also my oil does stay almost clear between oil changes so there is something very different between these trucks. I'm not trying to stir the pot and say my truck is better than your truck, just an observation. I beleive he may have gotten 26mpg. every engine is slightly different and if he was lucky enough to get one where all the tolorences were just right and they got his differentials set just right, and even good axle alignment, it all makes a difference.
Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: quad box