3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pulling the trigger on trans upgrades from Goerend

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the trigger on trans upgrades from Goerend

Just called and made an appointment to have a TC, VB, Billet Input, and billet flexplate installed in a couple weeks by the man himself. Really looking forward to the difference it will make in driveability and reliability, although I think my stocker has done pretty well, all things considered. I figured it was only a matter of time before my luck went south.

Anyway, how many of you had them do the work versus just ordering the parts and having someone local install it?

My wife and I are planning to trailer our bike up there and go riding in Wisconsin while he works on the truck. we'll consider it our "summer vacation" haha
Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 PM
KKB

I had him do the exact same thing on my 05. It has been on for 1 and a half months and every time I drive it it seems to get better. Maybe that is because my wife drives it mostly and every few days when I get to run it she seems amazing. I recommend having Dave do the install. Northeast IA is avery nice place for you to go riding. Have fun.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my local guy do the install. I would've loved to have driven out to Dave's shop but I didn't have the time. Probably would have been less expensive too. Big city prices here...

You'll love the tranny... without a doubt...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:43 AM

Can't wait!!! It can only get better!

Tonight I went up to meet some friends and one of the guys said he had a buddy with a duramax and a bully dog, then asked me if I wanted to line them up..

I was thinking to myself at the time that a semi-tuned dmax might be a bit of a challenge since I'm not too far from stock myself. I then figured I didn't really have anything to lose, so I said "call him"!

Well, then only about 5 to 10 minutes later, the guy rolls up in an '03 4x4 extended cab dmax..the truck also had a 5" exhaust on it..again I figured, this will be interesting..

so we take a ride out to a country road (I mean this closed course I know of) and lined them up. My first attempt resulted in the jitters causing me to try a launch in 2wd (I wasn't thinking straight). Lets just say the friends who gathered 'round got to see me lay down about a 50yrd double-stripe...they spun with such little effort on this new 4.4 beta sw that I knew it was hopeless and I might as well put on a good show for the crowd.

so after the smoke cleared, i got my act together and we lined them up a couple more times, only in 4wd now. I think I might have gotten maybe a 5psi +/- boosted launch each time (trying not to over-abuse things), and after a couple odd runs where we kept getting false starts, we finally got a clean "go" and I put about 3 or 4 car lengths on the poor dmax within an 1/8th of a mile.

OMG!! @#$@#! That was the first clean run we made and I was totally amazed it put that much distance on him so quickly. After we turned around and lined up again, i looked over at him and he waved me off saying he'd had enough...a little disappointing as I wasn't quite satisfied yet, but we headed back up the road to Starbucks to have a chat.

Turns out the guy says he previously dyno'd the truck at 420hp using his BDTD on Extreme and has only lost one race before. Well, make that two now I guess I doubt my truck is making 420 yet, but whatever its doing seems to be working!!

anyway, as I said, I can't wait to get the trans upgrades and get more peace of mind that I'm not going to frag something...plus the reduced slippage is going to make driving even more fun..

man, this stuff really is addicting! btw, if you can't tell from the above, the 4.4 version really does work extremely well. Smoke is drastically reduced from previous versions and *feels* like its making almost twice the power it did before. I am really impressed..the throttle is very smooth and power is strong and linear not spikey, and also keeps going right up to redline with no apparent drop in power as redline approaches. absolutely wonderful!

next up: GDP392 kit should be here next week, trans upgrades in a couple weeks, then gotta start saving for a new turbo..looking at a silver 62 or maybe the silver 64. time will tell who knows, I might break down and get some wheels and tires first... (wonder if I can talk the wife into getting a 2nd job to support my new habit, lol)
Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sixpack73
Can't wait!!! It can only get better!

Tonight I went up to meet some friends and one of the guys said he had a buddy with a duramax and a bully dog, then asked me if I wanted to line them up..

I was thinking to myself at the time that a semi-tuned dmax might be a bit of a challenge since I'm not too far from stock myself. I then figured I didn't really have anything to lose, so I said "call him"!

Well, then only about 5 to 10 minutes later, the guy rolls up in an '03 4x4 extended cab dmax..the truck also had a 5" exhaust on it..again I figured, this will be interesting..

so we take a ride out to a country road (I mean this closed course I know of) and lined them up. My first attempt resulted in the jitters causing me to try a launch in 2wd (I wasn't thinking straight). Lets just say the friends who gathered 'round got to see me lay down about a 50yrd double-stripe...they spun with such little effort on this new 4.4 beta sw that I knew it was hopeless and I might as well put on a good show for the crowd.

so after the smoke cleared, i got my act together and we lined them up a couple more times, only in 4wd now. I think I might have gotten maybe a 5psi +/- boosted launch each time (trying not to over-abuse things), and after a couple odd runs where we kept getting false starts, we finally got a clean "go" and I put about 3 or 4 car lengths on the poor dmax within an 1/8th of a mile.

OMG!! @#$@#! That was the first clean run we made and I was totally amazed it put that much distance on him so quickly. After we turned around and lined up again, i looked over at him and he waved me off saying he'd had enough...a little disappointing as I wasn't quite satisfied yet, but we headed back up the road to Starbucks to have a chat.

Turns out the guy says he previously dyno'd the truck at 420hp using his BDTD on Extreme and has only lost one race before. Well, make that two now I guess I doubt my truck is making 420 yet, but whatever its doing seems to be working!!

anyway, as I said, I can't wait to get the trans upgrades and get more peace of mind that I'm not going to frag something...plus the reduced slippage is going to make driving even more fun..

man, this stuff really is addicting! btw, if you can't tell from the above, the 4.4 version really does work extremely well. Smoke is drastically reduced from previous versions and *feels* like its making almost twice the power it did before. I am really impressed..the throttle is very smooth and power is strong and linear not spikey, and also keeps going right up to redline with no apparent drop in power as redline approaches. absolutely wonderful!

next up: GDP392 kit should be here next week, trans upgrades in a couple weeks, then gotta start saving for a new turbo..looking at a silver 62 or maybe the silver 64. time will tell who knows, I might break down and get some wheels and tires first... (wonder if I can talk the wife into getting a 2nd job to support my new habit, lol)

Good work! I love 4.4......i dont have a fp guage....what are you seeing for fuel pressue with 4.4???
Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sixpack73, if you're really addicted as I am, get the billet output shaft for your trans. Trust me. If you're going to do boosted launches you're going to need it. I didn't get it and now I've got to spend more money to do it a second time when I should've just done it the first time...

Plus when you get your new trans, you will be absolutely amazed at the power difference. I envy you. I miss that feeling when I first drove my truck with Dave's stuff installed. It was like driving a totally different truck. Now I'm just spoiled...
Old 06-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

I had Dave install mine since I was in the mid-west picking up a trailer. Definitely nice knowing it was done right the first time.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 AM

my fuel pressure is typically between 17 to 21 psi, but I've seen it drop to 0psi once or twice under WOT, hence why the GDP kit is on order.

trik, did you already have an output break on you? money is a bit tight and I've heard that you dont have to pull the trans if it does break and needs to be replaced. plus it can serve as the weak link so that the intermediate doesn't snap. at least thats what i've been hearing.

I've had the truck for about a year now, and it is rare that I get into a street race, but who knows, as fun as that was, that could all change lol
Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

my fuel pressure is typically between 17 to 21 psi, but I've seen it drop to 0psi once or twice under WOT, hence why the GDP kit is on order.
Are you just running the stock lift pump and seeing those pressures? If so, it sounds like something might be off with the sensor/gauge.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 AM

yeah you could be right. i'm going to have to send in the commander to get the software upgraded since I couldn't get my pc to recognize it properly. Already got an RMA number in fact. The instructions with the fp kit say it needs 1.4.3 on it to work properly and mine is at 1.0

what should a stock l/p be putting out? Either way, it seems like i'm losing pressure and need the GDP.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

yeah you could be right. i'm going to have to send in the commander to get the software upgraded since I couldn't get my pc to recognize it properly. Already got an RMA number in fact. The instructions with the fp kit say it needs 1.4.3 on it to work properly and mine is at 1.0

what should a stock l/p be putting out? Either way, it seems like i'm losing pressure and need the GDP.
Most see 9-10psi max with a stock system. The upgrade will probably fix that.

It's probably accurate on the bottom end though. I was seeing 0-3psi with the stock pump just by giving it a little throttle on the highway...not even close to WOT. The GDP will sure take care of that problem!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 AM

Dave rocks !!!
I just did the same thing.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=151953
Old 06-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
Most see 9-10psi max with a stock system. The upgrade will probably fix that.

It's probably accurate on the bottom end though. I was seeing 0-3psi with the stock pump just by giving it a little throttle on the highway...not even close to WOT. The GDP will sure take care of that problem!

My thoughs exactly!! My Fp never see's 10 PSI!!