3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

to puck or not to puck

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to puck or not to puck

i am thinking about adding a power puck. My thoughts are it will give me some adjustment on the fly and maybe the stacker programs will lessen my egts with the puck on low or off. What do you guys think?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am running the puck. It's ok, it does help. You won't find yourself adjusting on the fly. More than likely you will choose one of the two HP settings and just leave it there. It is inexpensive for what you get. It will not lessen EGTS. There are better pressure boxes to be had, but they are also a lot more $$$.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM

i know it is not the best but a used one it fairly cheap
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM

It's the duration in the Predator settings that will raise your egts. The Puck is an OK box for a little boost in power. I had one for a while with my Predator and the Non-stacker tunes seem to be much better than the stack tunes with the Puck. My egts stay nice and low even on the Extreme tunes but I have a HTB2 turbo too.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM

I want to run it on perf/ecom stacker, what all did you change when you got the HTB2? I am also thinking about a h20/meth system to keep things cool.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

Not to puck, just my .02! You get what you pay for junk we havent had luck with them and then have had numerous ones coming back not working at all, trucks wont crank etc, plus the deal with their switch and pwr levels being backwards. That imo just goes to show you that their product was just slapped together quickly and they didnt even know what they had. I took several people with dyno results telling them to figure it out, their techs. had no clue.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 PM

ok what about a quad xzt box just pres.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM

BigDan, I had my turbo long before I got the Predator/Puck.
One more thing, on my truck the puck raised my rail pressures to almost 27000psi even if I was on the low setting. With the Predator alone on the non-stack tunes it never goes anywhere near that.
The XZT is nice but it's got some timing so you will probably get too much timing and lots of rattle if you stack them. An Edge EZ or TS MP8 will work fine. You can usually get a good deal in the classifieds here for a used one. Maybe even a Quadzilla box that has already had the timing removed so it is a pure pressure box.....
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

xzt will work fine for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM

is it adj in cab or not
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CReed
Not to puck, just my .02! You get what you pay for junk we havent had luck with them and then have had numerous ones coming back not working at all, trucks wont crank etc, plus the deal with their switch and pwr levels being backwards. That imo just goes to show you that their product was just slapped together quickly and they didnt even know what they had. I took several people with dyno results telling them to figure it out, their techs. had no clue.
What's the deal with the sw/power levels backwards? I didn't hear about that one...
Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

This was 2 or 3 months back a couple of people including us were getting lower #s on the dyno and slower et's with the box on the 90hp setting then we were with the 50hp setting turns out somebody at diablo had a bad day when they created the packet that goes along with the box, these had been out for almost 6 months before anyone caught it they seemed to be dumbfounded when members started confronting them with it. Not sure if they have fixed the problem or we dont deal with them anymore.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quad X2 is adjustable in the cab and includes a built in serial data guage that reads rail pressure, engine coolant temp, and boost #s and lets you adjust power up and down on the fly. Numerous downloads available online for numerous tuning adjustments and even tunes for max mileage on pwr lvl 1 and then regular levels on the upper settings.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM

ive got one on my truck and it seems to work pretty well. I dont think it does much on its own but it does seem to help some. I tried the mp8 and it didnt work. I think it had a bad tune or something. the puck works good on my truck and it was 200 cheaper than the mp8 was.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb600
ive got one on my truck and it seems to work pretty well. I dont think it does much on its own but it does seem to help some. I tried the mp8 and it didnt work. I think it had a bad tune or something. the puck works good on my truck and it was 200 cheaper than the mp8 was.
I had the the same luck with my truck and compared the two on the dyno and there was a 48hp difference. The mp-8 raised rail press but no power. The puck with the Boost fooler warks quite well for me

Quick Reply: to puck or not to puck