3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Protecting Rocker Panels - Flares vs. Mudflaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EDR
QBall - Thanks for the comment.
Brian (AKA Rough-n-Ready) installed them on his truck back in July, but I couldn't remember his user name or the name of the product. I'll PM him and ask if he'll let us know how well they've held up and protected the side of his truck.
EDR - I got your'e PM and yes I did install the CRE rocker flares last summer. I was sick and tired of all the rock chip damage from gravel roads and pebbles. I already had Dodge molded mudflaps installed (I put those on around 1000 Mi.) and they were not protecting well enough. And that was with the stock Michelin street tires! I installed new All Terrain tires this fall and The mudflap and rocker flare combination is working out well with them. I can hear the rocks hitting the flares and the flaps, but they keep them off of the paint.

The problem with only fender flares and mudflaps is that the tires can still flip rocks and mud onto the rocker panels from underneath the mud flaps. To effectively protect the rockers, you will need to either install a coating, or a guard to prevent debris from hitting them at all such as rocker flares. I decided to go with the rocker flares because of cost, and to help keep the truck clean. With a protective coating applied to the rockers, they will still get dirty and need to be cleaned more often. I was surprised at how well the rocker flares help to keep the entire truck cleaner, even on dirt and gravel roads.