3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Protecting Rocker Panels - Flares vs. Mudflaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just have Husky molded flaps on mine. I ran BFG 315 ATs on stock wheels for 55,000 miles and do not have one rock chip anywhere. The BFG 315s on stock wheels don't stick out much so that is probably why, but they do throw any thing that is not cemented down.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going with 3m clear plastic on mine,full rockers bodyline down.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM
tcr

FLares don't protect the rockers at all, I had the BW oem style. I now have the stupid looking factory mud flaps, but they work. The best option would be to have both. I get so ticked off after washing my truck, then one puddle ruins everything, the whole !@#$%^' truck needs to be washed again!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
do flares to start, save your money and then pull the flares off and have them line-x'd along with the rockers then re-install the flares. best of both worlds
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by ryfrat
I'm going with 3m clear plastic on mine,full rockers bodyline down.
This is good option or possibly you could do Line-X or similar bed liner.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Are you still running AT tires. I found that the AT tires were worse as far as throwing pebbles, etc around and chipping the paint. The only way I could protect my truck was both flares and mudflaps, and I switched to a MT style tire which actually does seem to throw less pebbles, etc, up at the truck... At least, on the road that is.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
EDR

I'd love to Line-X the panels, I've had it on my last two trucks, but from what I've heard it costs, I'm not going to be able to do it anytime soon. I had also thought about using the Herculiner as Need95-00CTD mentioned, but I'd have to actually see what it looks like on a few trucks before I'd even attempt it on mine.

I'm sure the ATs do increase the damage - more biting edges to pick up the gravel. I've always avoided MTs in the past because of the noise factor, but it seems many of the new MTs are much quieter running.

I had also thought about doing the 3M material, and I've also been thinking about the body wrap material I see on buses and verhicles these days. I don't know how it would hold up, but I think I'll stop in and see how durable the material is and how much it would cost to do the rocker panels.

Anyone know anything about vehicle body wraps?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
I have mudflaps but think Flares with Flaps would protect the best.

Quick picture that I hope comes out.
Nutty, what size tires are those? I like the look.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:00 PM

EDR,

The autowrap material is a thin vinyl that won't last like the 3m stuff (or similar material.)

I've put the 3m and equivilant on many vehicles and the rockers on the Dodge is super easy (buy the rocker kit from xpel or another online vendor,) I had this on my 2500 until I got the rockers line-x'ed.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
EDR

deaconmcd,

Thanks for the info on the body wrap. I checked out the Xpel website and found their Smart Shield product, which is designed specifically for rocker panels: Smart Shield It's not too expensive ($300) and another option to consider.

Decisions, decisions . . .
Old 12-21-2007, 11:24 AM

mud flaps and i also painted my rockers but i added chrome strips then painted under them with bed liner works awsome
Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EDR
I'd love to Line-X the panels, I've had it on my last two trucks, but from what I've heard it costs, I'm not going to be able to do it anytime soon.
I was quoted $300 to do my rockers in rhino lining, my choice of texture. Dunno how much different in price it would be in your area.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Anybody try those CRE Rock Flares? They look good. I have a buddy with them, but I haven't seen how they held up this winter.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 PM
EDR

rip 112 - $300 sounds like a great price!
I haven't checked the prices here, but it seems everything costs more here in Vegas. I'm heading home to Colorado for the holidays and I think I'll stop in at the shop I had my last truck done at and see what they charge. I might end up having to get a Christmas present for myself.

QBall - Thanks for the comment.
Brian (AKA Rough-n-Ready) installed them on his truck back in July, but I couldn't remember his user name or the name of the product. I'll PM him and ask if he'll let us know how well they've held up and protected the side of his truck.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Flares are great, but no they don't keep the rocks down. Some good points were brought up about AT tires. My AT tires pick up rocks alot! I have really thought about puting a bed liner on my rockers as they are chipped up bad. I spend alot of time on gravel roads so it would be worth not seeing my truck rust out in that spot. I have mud flaps and they are pretty much worthless IMO on a truck as big as this.

Quick Reply: Protecting Rocker Panels - Flares vs. Mudflaps