3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pro's and Con's of chrome rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro's and Con's of chrome rocker panels?

I found these on ebay, the look pretty nice i think it would help make my truck look better, anyone have any experience with these? anything i need to watch out for? how are they with salt in the winter? any input would be appreciated
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 AM

I have them. been on there since 03. Live in ID, no problems, no rust, yet. look good. there are some scuffs from rocks, can be buffed out. but better than chipped paint!

If you like chrome, they look nice.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 AM

i looked in your photo gallery, yours look very nice. I think i will go ahead and order them
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 PM

my only concern with these chrome panels is... does dirt and other gritty stuff get in between the chrome and the body?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Chapter President

I have those exact same ones on my 03. I absolutely love them. They have been on my truck for about a year and I have had no issues with them what so ever. Just be certain to follow the instructions very closely...regarding the prep work prior to installing them, if not then they may become loose and fall off. I also had the rock chips on the rockers and after putting these on...not only are the rock chips hidden but it it helps to break up all of the blue on the truck. Here's a pic of them installed on my rig...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by nfsommer
my only concern with these chrome panels is... does dirt and other gritty stuff get in between the chrome and the body?
yup! I've had friends that had these on their trucks & it started to rust out their body because you couldn't wash any of the grit & salt out.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM

I agree that they do look great, but it seems that dirt and moisture can get caught in them. I live in chicago and we get alot of salt on the roads in the winter. I'd be afraid that they would cause rust if something get behind them.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 PM

I have them on my truck,, and I live in northern canada, if they are properly put on there will be no problem with getting anything behind them. And I am very poor at looking after chrome and they are still beautiful after 3 years. Now here is one thing to be careful about, make sure that they are stailess, if not I think that they will stain easy

Kevin
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gscmiller
I agree that they do look great, but it seems that dirt and moisture can get caught in them. I live in chicago and we get alot of salt on the roads in the winter. I'd be afraid that they would cause rust if something get behind them.
same here, mostly based out of elk grove village, schaumburg area, too much salt
Old 10-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by hump
I have those exact same ones on my 03. I absolutely love them. They have been on my truck for about a year and I have had no issues with them what so ever. Just be certain to follow the instructions very closely...regarding the prep work prior to installing them, if not then they may become loose and fall off. I also had the rock chips on the rockers and after putting these on...not only are the rock chips hidden but it it helps to break up all of the blue on the truck. Here's a pic of them installed on my rig...

[IMG][/IMG]

finally someone with some real rims and not that bling bling crap. pretty truck. like the panels

Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 PM

I bought the same set on EbAy and LOVE the look of them!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:42 PM

my wheels aint bling bling.....they are just basic spokes...

Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
my wheels aint bling bling.....they are just basic spokes...

I agree. they look pretty good. not tooooo flashy
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by nfsommer
well, I have had mine since Aug of 03 and live in ID. no dirt, no rust and they are holding strong. Hey if they get bad in 7-8 yrs, spray the bottom with Line-X. my theory anyway. Just depends on how well you take care of them. I use wax and chorme polish on mine.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jezzhuntin
well, I have had mine since Aug of 03 and live in ID. no dirt, no rust and they are holding strong. Hey if they get bad in 7-8 yrs, spray the bottom with Line-X. my theory anyway. Just depends on how well you take care of them. I use wax and chorme polish on mine.
Looking at your signature you are from the Boise area. I am from the eastern part of the state (Pocatello) were are winters are quite a bit harsher than yours. I used to put this stuff on all my vehicles and never had a problem with any of them untill they started spraying the stuff on the roads and highways to melt the snow and ice. What ever that stuff is it will eat any peice of chrome you got on your truck wright off. It will turn any peice of chrome to rust in a short time. Includeing wheels, bumpers,fender trim, rocker panels. I like the way it looks. But beware if your town or state sprays the roads for ice. I would still have it my truck if this was not a problem.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of chrome rocker panels?