3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Proper place to drill for pyrometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper place to drill for pyrometer

Where is the proper place to drill and tap my exhaust manifold for a pyrometer? I know where to drill on the 2nd gen's but I have seen a lot of 3rd gen trucks with it different locations and wondering where the right location is.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS3-...ugeinstall.htm
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine is here
Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM

here's where I did mine

I have 2 pyro sensors. One for the pyro gauge and one for the tuner box.
Attached Thumbnails Proper place to drill for pyrometer-boost-control-engine-compartment-006.jpg   Proper place to drill for pyrometer-101_0520.jpg  
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks alot man. That is an excellent site. Very helpful and informative. Looks like I have that "rare" ramped exhaust manifold. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM

I just installed mine the other day. My truck has a ramped manifold. I drilled a little lower that what it showed on dieselmanor's web page anyone think this would hurt anything? Taped half the exhauset tip, greased the bits and let the truck run. worked like a charm.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 AM

I went ahead and drilled mine right where dieselmanor said. I already had my manifold off my truck when I was installing my Silver Bullet last nite so it was a breeze drilling and tapping it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM

is it a no-no to put it on top? more accurate to put it on the side?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is most accurate the way cdennyb has in his picture above. I have seen a difference of up to 150* lower when just tapping at the top like the first picture shown. you do want to know the highest temps in the manifold for reference...
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

FWIW, ATS manifolds come pre-tapped just before the turbo.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
It is most accurate the way cdennyb has in his picture above. I have seen a difference of up to 150* lower when just tapping at the top like the first picture shown. you do want to know the highest temps in the manifold for reference...
That seems like a huge difference for a couple of inches and nothing like a turbo inbetween them. I could see a small difference, but I would expect it to be cooler lower, especially looking at photos of manifolds that have been heat soaked, they show the most color at the cylinder.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 PM

I have mine in the front part of the manifold outlet right before the turbo instead of the rear, is that ok?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by ah64id
That seems like a huge difference for a couple of inches and nothing like a turbo inbetween them. I could see a small difference, but I would expect it to be cooler lower, especially looking at photos of manifolds that have been heat soaked, they show the most color at the cylinder.
Did you ever see that video of the 1000 hp Ford turbo'd engine getting redhot, literally, right at the collector?

No, I am very confident in what I posted because When I installed my TST, the pyro was put on top like the first pic in the thread. The first thing i told my mechanic that did it that way, was that there was at least a 100* difference between the TST pyro and my Autometer that was installed by the turbo. Well, I got a chance to correct that and put both down low next to each other just like the second set of pics in this thread... turns out the TST pyro reads about 20* higher than the autometer. This is with same before/after settings. The autometer is on cyls 4-6; the TST cyls 1-3.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Did you ever see that video of the 1000 hp Ford turbo'd engine getting redhot, literally, right at the collector?

No, I am very confident in what I posted because When I installed my TST, the pyro was put on top like the first pic in the thread. The first thing i told my mechanic that did it that way, was that there was at least a 100* difference between the TST pyro and my Autometer that was installed my the turbo. Well, I got a chance to correct that and put both down low next to each other just like the second set of pics in this thread... turns out the TST pyro reads about 20* higher than the autometer. This is with same before/after settings. The autometer is on cyls 4-6; the TST cyls 1-3.
No haven't seen the video... It just seems backwords, but I can see how it would happen since the manifold is smaller in volume than the cylinders, and you dont have the cooling air like in the cylinder just prior to compression and ignition.

All in all I am not worried about having the probe up top, I get readings very similar, less than 100* difference that talking with other folks with the same/similar mods.. If I ever get into big power I may move it, but for now it is still an accurate reading and much better than post turbo.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

I run a 2nd gen manifold. rear cyl's to my DiPricol gauge, front cyl's to the TST

Quick Reply: Proper place to drill for pyrometer