3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which programmer/box for this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which programmer/box for this situation?

Guy I know has an 06 5.9L that he uses for towing an RV that weighs in around 9500#. Truck is stock right now and performs fine, but he wants a little boost in power.

He wants something more on the mild side rather than wild side, and doesn't want to have to mess with the fueling system such as adding an additional LP.

I have my opinion that I gave him (Edge J/A and keep it on low settings when towing), but I want to see what you guys think since I'm not as familiar with the options/workings on the 3rd gen "quiet" diesels.

Opinions (all/any) welcome, along with any tips I should pass on.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:05 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quadzilla XZT module! Definately! Very safe power.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:07 PM

very safe and awsome low end power and will improve fuel milage when no hauling any thing very good choice

i ran the race on my truck and loved every min of it

i 2nd the xzt
Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 AM

i think van akken makes a nice box for the 06s,i agree on the quad too,in cab adjustable is cool too.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Quad XZT would be my choice.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
another vote for XZT.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 PM

This is the post that I`ve been looking for. If the Quadzilla XZT is run on a completely stock truck, (except bigger tires) will the stock auto be ok for everyday driving? I want alittle more power but I don`t want to have to worry about killing my truck. I don`t drive hard or race but I do pull a trailer maybe once a week or so. Do you still recomend Quadzilla? Thanks for letting me butt in.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Yep go with the XZT you wont be sorry
Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 PM

something that is small like the edge ez or the diablo power puck I would say. these are simple plug in modules.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM

What would you recommend for me? I want to keep my truck free of programmers because I plow with it and I don't need warranty issues. I heard that the power puck is the way to go but this quad box seems nice too. Looking to squeeze some more mpg out of this truck and maybe get some more power with out smoking the tranny. What is the xlilirator by quad? I read that its supposed to be the box for fuel economy.
-Eric
Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by dodgintrouble
What would you recommend for me? I want to keep my truck free of programmers because I plow with it and I don't need warranty issues. I heard that the power puck is the way to go but this quad box seems nice too. Looking to squeeze some more mpg out of this truck and maybe get some more power with out smoking the tranny. What is the xlilirator by quad? I read that its supposed to be the box for fuel economy.
-Eric

There are 3 models of Quadzilla modules:

Xzillaraider XZT
Xzillaraider Standard
Xzillaraider Race

The XZT is a mild power adder that does a great job towing and makes everyday driving a bit more spirited.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 AM

I just ordered an xzt. I have been researching for 6 months and finally felt confident enough about getting it. I almost got the edge juice but I don't hear of guys running over the 60 hp setting much so anything over that is kind of a waste for me since I want towing power and mileage. The xzt sounds like it's been engineered for more low end than high and that's what I bought my truck for. And for only 200 bucks I have alot of $ to play with for guages and such. And I didn't want anything too much as the urge to turn it up once in a while would end up costing me for sure. I will post my thoughts on the xzt next week when I get it.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:29 AM

Are these boxes like the power puck (plug inline) or are they like a programmer that will plug into one of the ports and download onto the truck?
-Eric
Old 08-15-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dodgintrouble
Are these boxes like the power puck (plug inline) or are they like a programmer that will plug into one of the ports and download onto the truck?
-Eric
plug in boxes under the hood. they should be easy on your truck. i think the edge ez goes up to 65hp or so and the puck is 90 at the most. they have lower settings than that also. I havent ran any quad boxes so I cant comment on how good they work. I have a rail gauge made by them and it works real good and was built nice
Old 08-15-2007, 12:16 PM

The quad boxes actually mount in the cab to keep the box out of the heat and elements. I didn't like the fact that the puck on the 60 hp setting only gives 100 lb/ft compared to the 165 of the xzt. That tells me it's just raising pressure not much else.

Quick Reply: Which programmer/box for this situation?