3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Procomp Mud terrain Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procomp Mud terrain Question

I have on order 4 new procomp mud terrain tires size (315-12.50-R17). They are 35 inchers, will they fit on my truck without rubbing? I have a 2.5" lift kit/leveling kit on the truck.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Depends on whether you're running stock rims or not. If you've got stockers, then you'll probably rub a little. If not (meaning rims with less back spacing) then you shouldn't have a problem. I'm talking about on the steering linkage and what not. If you're talking about the fender well, then it shouldn't matter either way. 2.5" is plenty of room for 35's. I think there's some guys on here that are running 35's in stock trim (stock rims though) with no issues.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Smile Rambunctious1

I have 35 on mine no problems but there 35at. I am goning to 35 Xterrains GOOD LUCK. RAMBLE-BEE
Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rambunctious1
Depends on whether you're running stock rims or not. If you've got stockers, then you'll probably rub a little. If not (meaning rims with less back spacing) then you shouldn't have a problem. I'm talking about on the steering linkage and what not. If you're talking about the fender well, then it shouldn't matter either way. 2.5" is plenty of room for 35's. I think there's some guys on here that are running 35's in stock trim (stock rims though) with no issues.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Most people are able to run 35's on stock rims with no rubbing of sheetmetal because the are tucked in. If you are running 35's on 9"+ wide rims with 4.something backspacing, the 35's will catch the back lower corner of the fender. I tried and ended up with 285's for full clearance. Because the rim is 3"+ further out, the turning arc of the wheel/tire is larger from lock to lock, so as it turns into the wheel well it is closer to the sheetmetal than it would be with a stock rim.

This was on my 04.5 with a 2" levelling kit.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM

I have 35 inch pro comp mts on stock rims and no lift. I have skyjacker leveling springs but my truck will not fit into my garage with them on. I only have rubbing on the upper control arm. I am really happy with the tires so far and I have around 8k on them and they are wearing well. They are so much better than the 265 michelins that came off of my truck.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Most people are able to run 35's on stock rims with no rubbing of sheetmetal because the are tucked in. If you are running 35's on 9"+ wide rims with 4.something backspacing, the 35's will catch the back lower corner of the fender. I tried and ended up with 285's for full clearance. Because the rim is 3"+ further out, the turning arc of the wheel/tire is larger from lock to lock, so as it turns into the wheel well it is closer to the sheetmetal than it would be with a stock rim.

This was on my 04.5 with a 2" levelling kit.
You actually respectfully agreed with me. My post said that if he was concerned about sheetmetal, it wouldn't matter either way...meaning it won't rub. I know a guy here at work with an 06 on 35's on stock rims/no lift. No rubbing (sheetmetal). I was speaking of the upper control arm. I've heard some folks have slight rubbing issues with 35's on stockers.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Rubbing

I have a friend that has 35's and he only rubs a little on the upper contral arms at full lock!! As far as the Pro comp's I just went through a pair of them in 5 months!! I only got 23,000 out of them and I checked the air all of the time and rotated them every 3000 miles! I don't know how other's have had any luck with them but I am putting about 120 miles on a day! I wasn't happy with them at all. They cupped really bad and once they started that it was all down hill from there. But that is just my experience. Others may have better luck. I just got a 6" lift with 37x13.50x20 Toyo MT's. So far I love these tires. We will see how many miles I get out of them. I didn't want to go to a 20" rim but I also didn't want to wait until this fall when toyo can start making tires faster!! So they made me a **** good deal on the lift, tires and rims. I will try and post some pic's this weekend!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rambunctious1
You actually respectfully agreed with me. My post said that if he was concerned about sheetmetal, it wouldn't matter either way...meaning it won't rub. I know a guy here at work with an 06 on 35's on stock rims/no lift. No rubbing (sheetmetal). I was speaking of the upper control arm. I've heard some folks have slight rubbing issues with 35's on stockers.

I was trying to say that if you run an aftermarket wheel with 4.something backspacing, it will catch the sheetmetal, even with a 2" levelling kit. The reduced backspacing causes the rub. At least it did on mine with 17x9 wheels. It caught the lower rear fender as the tire was turned into the wheel well. I am going to try it again with som 17x8 AR Mojave Teflons and see if it is any better.

If you run stock wheels, most say there is no sheetmetal rub, just control arm rub.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

My Xterrains on stock wheels with the same size tires rubbed on the uppers with no lift. With the leveling kit I cleared the uppers but I didn't care for the way the wheels were tucked under the truck. If you check out my gallery, I have some stock size wheels with a different backspacing that really helps out in the looks department.

Jesse